Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sheesh. I hate giving the center field job to a 32 year old with a career .696 OPS. IMO Chris Dickerson should be called up to see how he handles major league pitching. Hairston should not be counted on to sustain his current success. He's not the solution in CF. Call up Dickerson and let him have the job.
    I agree he's not the solution...but he's earned the starting nod when he returns, and Dickerson may be able to ease into the bigs as opposed to being 'the guy that replaced KGJ'
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Let Hairston have it until he falls to earth
    He'd probably injure a hamstring. So please don't mention "fall" and Hairston in the same sentence.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sheesh. I hate giving the center field job to a 32 year old with a career .696 OPS. IMO Chris Dickerson should be called up to see how he handles major league pitching. Hairston should not be counted on to sustain his current success. He's not the solution in CF. Call up Dickerson and let him have the job.
    Yes

Hairston is a second baseman, he could play second, Phillips could play short, and Dickerson could play center, just like early September callups.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He'd probably injure a hamstring. So please don't mention "fall" and Hairston in the same sentence.
    Remember in spring training, comments to the effect that guys with a history of leg injuries, and all that running etc? Now a history of leg injuries are going to play center ?

Next year- wondering if it might make sense to platoon Dickerson and Hairston. Hairston is playing over his head and Dickerson may be doing the same in triple A...platoon them and you may have a decent center fielder.

I don't know. Dickerson is not exactly setting the world on fire in Louisville. He's sort of like Adam Dunn without the power. He's struck out well over 100 times in three seasons in the minors. He has a good OBP, but not a good RBI man (his high was 48 in Chatanooga in 2006). I don't see him as a regular player in the near future. The Reds need to get a genuine centerfielder through free agency or else it's going to be like it always has been. Freel until he cools off, then Hairston and finally Hopper. That woud be a tragedy.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I agree he's not the solution...but he's earned the starting nod when he returns, and Dickerson may be able to ease into the bigs as opposed to being 'the guy that replaced KGJ'
    One problem. CD is 26 years old. He's in the minors at that age for a reason--and that usually means a lot.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I don't know. Dickerson is not exactly setting the world on fire in Louisville. He's sort of like Adam Dunn without the power. He's struck out well over 100 times in three seasons in the minors. He has a good OBP, but not a good RBI man (his high was 48 in Chatanooga in 2006). I don't see him as a regular player in the near future. The Reds need to get a genuine centerfielder through free agency or else it's going to be like it always has been. Freel until he cools off, then Hairston and finally Hopper. That woud be a tragedy.
    He's got a .382 OBP and 24 steals in AAA and plays Gold Glove caliber defense. He may never be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder but it wouldn't hurt to give him a try. If he proves he can OPS at .750 or so then he solves the CF problem. If he shows he can't hit then you still have a solid defensive replacement at the end of the game.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

On WLW, Paul Daugherty just asked BP what he would miss most about having Griffey as a teammate. After being silent for a good 10 seconds, he declared that Griffey would be missed in the clubhouse, because he was a "good clubhouse guy."
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    One problem. CD is 26 years old. He's in the minors at that age for a reason--and that usually means a lot.
    Often it means that somebody said the same thing about him when he was 25.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He's got a .382 OBP and 24 steals in AAA and plays Gold Glove caliber defense. He may never be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder but it wouldn't hurt to give him a try. If he proves he can OPS at .750 or so then he solves the CF problem. If he shows he can't hit then you still have a solid defensive replacement at the end of the game.

What would he hurt at this stage until the end of the season, the remaining 53 games ?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Often it means that somebody said the same thing about him when he was 25.
    Look what they say about Dunn now, and then there was Keppinger, and before him Phillips.

"He said, 'If I could do it all over, I wouldn't change a single thing, including coming here," Reds radio legend Marty Brennaman said Griffey told him after the trade was done. "He said, 'I was able to put on the same uniform my dad wore for nine years.'"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I think that it completely alters the team

Jr's gone, Hamilton's gone, and the OF corners are solved.

that makes it Dunn's team, if he wants it.
    I know you are ignoring me, but this solves nothing. We have Bruce coming back next year for the OF. Maybe Dunn. The OF corners are far from being solved.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know you are ignoring me, but this solves nothing. We have Bruce coming back next year for the OF. Maybe Dunn. The OF corners are far from being solved.
    I think Mr. Jocketty will work to resolve the corners issues over the winter. If he can find some low budget solutions.

Turn Off Ads?