Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Re: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    For me, it isn't a narrow set of indictments. He has been caught boozing with all kinds of women, slurring jews, slurring blacks and abusing, physically and verbally, women. I don't doubt he's got some perspectives on gays as well, just to round out the minority circuit. All this while being preachy in all his films.

Look, as anyone who's been near a loved one enduring verbal abuse from their spouse, ex-spouse, whatever, I have NO SYMPATHY for Mel Gibson. He is a monster. This woman may have saved her life by doing this. At least now she can rest assured.

To side with him in this case is ignorant, completely ignorant. You'd have to have listened to Tracy Jones' take to even imagine it. That kind of rage he displayed is just not justified under the circumstance.
    A monster? You don't even know the guy. You're going by a few audio recordings with absolutely no background, no back story of how these transpired, no knowledge of what may have precipitated the outburst and no personal testament to their everyday life together. I don't see how anyone can label someone a 'monster' without knowing them.

All these stories about how Gibson is a woman batterer - and I certainly hope he's not - yet we have absolutely no evidence of that. Heck, even this latest incident earlier this year where he supposedly punched the girls' tooth out didn't result in any arrest. So clearly there's some questions as to the validity. All we have is audio of a raged Gibson. Frightening? Certainly. A monster? Inconclusive at best.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Behaved inappropriately? Nothing wrong with compassion but let's not whitewash his actions here. How far down the social ladder does your compassion extend?
    Behaving inappropriately = Bashing your wife's teeth in?????

I'm sure she deserved it though. Or did something that triggered an outburst from Mel stemming from his poor, disadvantaged upbringing... or maybe it's misplaced anger stemming from his overbearing mother... or..... hmmm.... put him in a straight jacket and we can get to studying him to help cure future lunatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

All these stories about how Gibson is a woman batterer - and I certainly hope he's not - yet we have absolutely no evidence of that. Heck, even this latest incident earlier this year where he supposedly punched the girls' tooth out didn't result in any arrest. So clearly there's some questions as to the validity. All we have is audio of a raged Gibson. Frightening? Certainly. A monster? Inconclusive at best.
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...ched-her-mouth

Keep defending the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    What does that prove?

Again, the guy hasn't even been arrested. In this country, which last I checked was founded upon innocent unless proven guilty, it's hard to get worked up about someone when the evidence that supposedly exists hasn't been enough to charge him with a crime.

Go ahead. If you want to get ridiculously worked up over his personality flaws. That's fine by me. So far, we have audio of him screaming about sexual content and how she's a user and we have a photograph of a chipped tooth that may or may not have occurred a million different ways. Did you take part in the salem witch trials as well?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

What does that prove?

Again, the guy hasn't even been arrested. In this country, which last I checked was founded upon innocent unless proven guilty, it's hard to get worked up about someone when the evidence that supposedly exists hasn't been enough to charge him with a crime.

Go ahead. If you want to get ridiculously worked up over his personality flaws. That's fine by me. So far, we have audio of him screaming about sexual content and how she's a user and we have a photograph of a chipped tooth that may or may not have occurred a million different ways. Did you take part in the salem witch trials as well?
    Maybe folks don't care about convicting him, arresting him, or sentencing him; maybe folks are just judging the guy on the things he's said for years and recently, words that are inexcusably horrible and undoubtedly reflect his feelings (he's said them too often in too many contexts for them to be just anger responses).

To criticize him for that is perfectly understandable, regardless of the legal issues that you keep raising.

Retired

Reports are she wanted Mel to pay her $10 million to not leak the tapes.......but she wasn't after money or anything. Yeah.

Btw, his ex-wife filed a statement with the court saying there was never any physical or verbal abuse during their marriage. I think it's probably a combo of things, Gibson finally snapped, and she probably is a gold digger.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Maybe folks don't care about convicting him, arresting him, or sentencing him; maybe folks are just judging the guy on the things he's said for years and recently, words that are inexcusably horrible and undoubtedly reflect his feelings (he's said them too often in too many contexts for them to be just anger responses).

To criticize him for that is perfectly understandable, regardless of the legal issues that you keep raising.
    This wasn't about criticizing him. In fact, if you go back and read the post that started the current line of debate, you'll actually see that it was responding to the criticism of someone who simply didn't castigate Gibson.

If someone wants to be critical of him, fine. It's perfectly within their right. All I have taken issue with is the veracity -- especially the hyperbolic terms such as "monster." Likewise, those of us who aren't going to board the train to Salem should be within reason to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Reports are she wanted Mel to pay her $10 million to not leak the tapes.......but she wasn't after money or anything. Yeah.

Btw, his ex-wife filed a statement with the court saying there was never any physical or verbal abuse during their marriage. I think it's probably a combo of things, Gibson finally snapped, and she probably is a gold digger.
    Imagine that. Another side to a story!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

I have no doubt she's a golddigger. But seriously, if you're stupid enough to get suckered by a golddigger....

Gibson *finally* snapped? How do you explain his anti-Semitic tirade when he was pulled over a year or two ago?

What does that prove?

Keep getting worked up defending the wife-beating lunatic.

Have you actually listened to the tapes? I wouldn't think you'd make such erroneous statements throughout this thread otherwise.

He's a raving lunatic and a wife beater. He says on one of the tapes after she asks him what kind of man hits a woman holding a child, 'You deserved it.'

Salem Witch Trials is about as poor an analogy as one could choose. A man is on tape telling a woman she DESERVED to be hit. Seriously, Read that over a few times. HE TOLD HER SHE DESERVED TO BE HIT = SCUMBAG. PERIOD.

I'm sure the woman is a nightmare as well and certainly a gold-digger and probably impossible to live with, but that doesn't make Mel any less vile.

I have no doubt she's a golddigger. But seriously, if you're stupid enough to get suckered by a golddigger....

Gibson *finally* snapped? How do you explain his anti-Semitic tirade when he was pulled over a year or two ago?
    What about telling her she was going to get raped by a pack of .......

Or calling their hispanic maid a w-back???

All taken out of context in the vast conspiracy to get Mel's Passion of the Christ money.

He was drunk driving. I've said some terrible things when I'm drunk.

I've never hit a woman. I don't condone hitting women. I have been angered to the point that I wanted to hit a woman on several occasions, and I was told by other women present that I would have been justified in doing so. I disagree that there is justification, but some things that people do to you, men and women, are terrible.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Keep getting worked up defending the wife-beating lunatic.

Have you actually listened to the tapes? I wouldn't think you'd make such erroneous statements throughout this thread otherwise.

He's a raving lunatic and a wife beater. He says on one of the tapes after she asks him what kind of man hits a woman holding a child, 'You deserved it.'

Salem Witch Trials is about as poor an analogy as one could choose. A man is on tape telling a woman she DESERVED to be hit. Seriously, Read that over a few times. HE TOLD HER SHE DESERVED TO BE HIT = SCUMBAG. PERIOD.

I'm sure the woman is a nightmare as well and certainly a gold-digger and probably impossible to live with, but that doesn't make Mel any less vile.
    As I said, I heard the tapes. No need to beleaguer the point.

The all caps isn't necessary. I know what was said. We're just beating around the bush now.

It's the age of demonizing. It used to be when these kinds of incidents happened, we dealt with them, prosecuted them, the people would pay their debts to society if needed and then they were given a fresh start. Now it's sporty to call them monsters, go to their living quarters with pitch forks demanding justice and scream and shout at the naysayers, who wish not to partake in this new religion, questioning how "anyone could defend these people."

From Wall Street to Hollywood... the story is the same.

As I said, I heard the tapes. No need to beleaguer the point.

The all caps isn't necessary. I know what was said. We're just beating around the bush now.

It's the age of demonizing. It used to be when these kinds of incidents happened, we dealt with them, prosecuted them, the people would pay their debts to society if needed and then they were given a fresh start. Now it's sporty to call them monsters, go to their living quarters with pitch forks demanding justice and scream and shout at the naysayers, who wish not to partake in this new religion, questioning how "anyone could defend these people."

From Wall Street to Hollywood... the story is the same.
    I love Mel Gibson. He is a very, very fine actor and one of the greatest directors of his generation...

THAT BEING TYPED...

he is nuts. I have no doubt his maniacal father played an integral role in warping him into who/what he is today, especially the race-hating parts of his character which are even more deplorable, IMO, than his treatment of women.

You can just TELL that that woman is an evil you know what but still, he admitted to hitting her while she was holding their 8 month old baby. That's about as low as it gets in my book. No over-dramatizing at all. I imagine what I would do if someone 'accidentally' hit my little 14 month old niece... it's truly deplorable behavior.

Mel may very well be Jekyll and Hyde. He definitely needs intensive therapy and medication, STILL not excusing what he did.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-17-2010 at 10:13 PM.

I'm not a psycholgist, but I have worked as a therapist, and I think it's highly likely that Gibson is suffering from a very serious mental/emotional disease, most likely something connected to Bi-Polar.

He seems to be a very intelligent, well meaning, caring person who can snap and become a dangerous threat to himself and others for almost no reason. The real issue is not whether or not to defend or attack him, but hope that he gets help, and fast.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?