Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess what I was saying more than anything is that if the NFL wants to send something other than a message of hypocrisy, quit filling the league coffers with money derived from the primary sponsors, who are sellers of alcoholic beverages. It is about like telling the workers at an Anheuser Busch plant not to abuse alcohol.
    Hypocrisy rules in the NFL. Players are penalized and/or suspended for late or extraordinary hard hits yet in their video games, the same hits are a selling point. Same thing for celebrations and taunting. Excessively celebrate or taunt another player on the field and it's a penalty. But it's a staple in the video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

When the beer ads start running commercials like showing someone with their head in the toilet, then on the side of the toilet, quickly followed by head in the toilet again, then they might be onto something. Or maybe one with the guy who finds himself going up the hill on the side of the road to take a whiz who is unable to stop himself going back down the hill. Or the guy waking up next to the girl he doesn't know I just imagine those wouldn't be quite as good for business.

Would the waking up to a girl he doesn't know be considered good or bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...26002/-1/CINCI

The alphabet part is rather humorous. Hopefully he can get his life together.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I can't quite reconcile how you can read someone their rights, and then ask them if the understand them ... when you know darn well they are drunk.

You are arresting them for being impaired.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 09-26-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I can't quite reconcile how you can read someone their rights, and then ask them if the understand them ... when you know darn well they are drunk.

You are arresting them for being impaired.

GL
    Good point.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I guess what I was saying more than anything is that if the NFL wants to send something other than a message of hypocrisy, quit filling the league coffers with money derived from the primary sponsors, who are sellers of alcoholic beverages. It is about like telling the workers at an Anheuser Busch plant not to abuse alcohol.
    So they can't keep from drinking and driving because the NFL makes money off of alcohol? And anyone who works at the Anheuser Busch plant has trouble not abusing alcohol? Are you saying that all of these players and workers are children who aren't capable of making decisions based on right and wrong? I really don't see what one thing has to do with the other. When I lived in Alaska before I went to college I worked at a pharmaceutical warehouse and somehow at the age of 18 I resisted the urge to become addicted to drugs.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Would the waking up to a girl he doesn't know be considered good or bad?
    Only if she wasn't as good looking as she was the night before after that 12 pack.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...26002/-1/CINCI

The alphabet part is rather humorous. Hopefully he can get his life together.
    Don't you just love those pat answers people always give when pulled over and asked by the police how much you had to drink tonight?

"I had a couple beers"

Everyone says that!
    Last edited by GAC; 09-27-2006 at 06:32 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

So if the NFL had no income from any sponsor of alcoholic beverages these guys wouldn't have chosen to drive impared? I serriously doubt these guys would have ever thought to themselves, "we can't go party wildly the NFL doesn't sponsor booze!".

There's nothing wrong with the NFL taking sponsership revenue from the alcoholic bevergage companies because it is legal to consume alcohol (above 21 of course). There is nothing wrong with Chris Henry and company having a few beers because it's legal to consume alcohol.

The problem starts when OT chooses to gets behind the wheel and drives impared which is not legal. It's a choice he made and whether or not the NFL sponsors Budwiser is pretty irrlevant.

You know, if NFL doesn't allow booze sponsorships there is still the problem that it's available in stores. If OT stumbles into a BP gas station and sees a point of purchase display of Coors Lite he may lose all controll and go on a 3 day bender. [end sarcasim]
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-27-2006 at 03:26 PM.

I agree Abner. Why is it the NFL's responsibility to teach these ADULTS responsibility?

My job has a employee handbook on employee behavior and conduct, and it's my job to know and follow it. It also lists the possible consequences if I violate any of them.

They also have an Associate Assistance Program to help those associates who have personal problems like drugs and alcohol and various other situations. But it's VOLUNTARY and must be employee initiated. It's there for the employee; but they can't force you to go.

It's not your employers job to "hold your hand".

Thurman was offically suspended for the year by the NFL today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2605039

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So if the NFL had no income from any sponsor of alcoholic beverages these guys wouldn't have chosen to drive impared? I serriously doubt these guys would have ever thought to themselves, "we can't go party wildly the NFL doesn't sponsor booze!".

There's nothing wrong with the NFL taking sponsership revenue from the alcoholic bevergage companies because it is legal to consume alcohol (above 21 of course). There is nothing wrong with Chris Henry and company having a few beers because it's legal to consume alcohol.

The problem starts when OT chooses to gets behind the wheel and drives impared which is not legal. It's a choice he made and whether or not the NFL sponsors Budwiser is pretty irrlevant.

You know, if NFL doesn't allow booze sponsorships there is still the problem that it's available in stores. If OT stumbles into a BP gas station and sees a point of purchase display of Coors Lite he may lose all controll and go on a 3 day bender. [end sarcasim]
    You have missed the point. Sure, the individual is responsible as I stated
    Odell, Henry and all the other foolish behavior is not excused
    The hypocrisy is that the NFL is heavily funded by companies that rely on the abuse of alcohol to make millions of dollars in profits, yet they get all indignant when their employees abuse alcohol. Further, there are the indignant fans whereby some of them will be slobbering drunk themselves, drive home impaired after the game, some could probably blow a .17, and yet they are screaming for Odell's head. In other words, fine if you want promote "responsible drinking," but don't send a confusing message by being so dependant on those selling the products that you are trying to control the use of. Basic conflict of interest logic. The NFL has one here.

Turn Off Ads?