Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Photos From a Snowy Day in DC

Re: Some Photos From a Snowy Day in DC

As a George Washington Univ. alum, you just made me feel very homesick. Fantastic pics.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    We are only a couple hours from great beaches, so a trip to DC can easily include a trip to the beach (I prefer Rehoboth Beach, Delaware--known as the Nation's Summer Capital).
    Yep, my wife and I head to Delaware at least once every summer. We like Rehoboth and Bethany. Her aunt also has a beach house in Ocean City that we get to use...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    As a George Washington Univ. alum, you just made me feel very homesick. Fantastic pics.
    When were you there? Did you ever make it to The Froggy Bottom or the 51st State? I actually like Foggy Bottom a lot, there's a lot of neat restaurants and pubs tucked away amongst the streets down there.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    When were you there? Did you ever make it to The Froggy Bottom or the 51st State? I actually like Foggy Bottom a lot, there's a lot of neat restaurants and pubs tucked away amongst the streets down there.
    92-96. Definitely hung at Froggy Bottom. It was 2 blocks from my dorm. Not sure about 51st State, it doesn't ring a bell. The Brickskeller is my all time favorite bar. Hundreds of beers and an amazing juke box.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

92-96. Definitely hung at Froggy Bottom. It was 2 blocks from my dorm. Not sure about 51st State, it doesn't ring a bell. The Brickskeller is my all time favorite bar. Hundreds of beers and an amazing juke box.
    I work out of DC, but travel quite a bit. One of my favorite things to do on the road is find a local brew pub and get a sampler of their different beers. But the Brickskeller has always been a hit with me. If you can't find a beer you like on this list, you don't like beer. Brickskeller's Beer List

I believe they still hold the official Guinness (the book, not the beer) Record for the most types of beer on the menu. (or whatever the official term is)

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I love the Brickskeller so much I had my bachelor party there. No kidding.

I love the Brickskeller so much I had my bachelor party there. No kidding.
    I had mine two blocks south on M Street, if you know what I mean. And I (unfortunately) haven't been back there since (it was 1992).
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I had mine two blocks south on M Street, if you know what I mean. And I (unfortunately) haven't been back there since (it was 1992).
    That's a very interesting block. You've got a Chipotle, a Malaysian restaurant, the man club, a cigar store, a liquor store, and a Thai restaurant.

The Malaysian place is really good, we walk down there occasionally.

No more snow on the ground! In fact, it was an absolutely gorgeous weekend in D.C., so my wife and I decided to play tourist. On Saturday, we did a guided walking tour of Capitol Hill and Barrack's Row, then strolled around Eastern Market. Unfortunately, I neglected to bring my camera on Saturday...but yesterday we elected to walk down to the Smithsonian, and I did bring my trusty digital along.

We walked down 13th street because it's where we live, and also because it's a rather scenic street in the District. Not many people spend time on it, which is a shame--there's a lot of nice buildings and parks along the way. So, I thought I'd do a little tour of 13th street with some of the photos i took yesterday. Most of them are along 13th, but a few of them venture off a bit. Hope you enjoy them...

We'll begin, naturally, at our building. I think one of our cats was looking out the window.

This is the Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, a block down from us. It's a nice little church, and I've always liked the colorful row houses that follow alongside it.

A couple of blocks further down, and you arrive at our neighborhood's namesake, Logan Circle. The Circle and the gorgeous Victorian houses that sorround it are on the National Register of Historic Places. General Logan is the guy on the horse in the statue:

Another shot of the Logan Circle Park. You can see some of the homes across the street--most of them are stunning.

This is a mansion that sits on the circle. I don't know if it's a single residence or multiple, but it's nice to look at.

Walking a little farther down, you get to the intersection of 13th and Massacusetts Ave. Nothing of particular note here, just a nice shot down the street, with some trees and flowers out.

Here is the Franklin School Building, which I believe is still used as a private school.

This is a shot of the 13th street-side of Franklin Park, one of the many green spaces one can find throughout central D.C.

Some buildings along K St. behind Franklin Park. Particularly at night, there is something about this view that reminds me a little bit of Central Park.

At the corner of 13th and New York Ave., looking across at the Museum of Women in the Arts.

The plaza of the New York Presbyterian Church, one of the oldest in the city.

Here's another shot of the church:

This is the Warner Theater, one of the main downtown theaters. We saw the Nutcracker here last December.

Looking into the courtyard of the Ronald Reagan Building, the largest office building in the District.

...more to come.

Continuing on...here is the Old Post Office Pavillion, the tallest structure along Pennsylvania Ave. You can take tours of the bell tower that give some impressive views of the city.

Here's a shot of the Ben Franklin statue in fron of the Old Post Office:

This came out much better than I imagined it would--it's a shot looking through the archway of the IRS Building.

Here's a shot of the IRS building itself:

One of our reasons for going out was to visit the Natural History Museum, which contained--among other things--a display on orchids that my wife wanted to see. I won't bore you with a bunch of pics of flowers, but here's one of the prehistoric elephant that sits in the entrance:

A view of the National Archives Building, as seen from the fountain in the National Gallery's sculpture garden:

..and a shot of the Archives Building itself:

Some of the buildings on Indiana Plaza. Note the building in the foreground--it's actually a beautiful building, but whoever owns it has painted it that horrible pink color. Such a travesty.

A popular view of the Capitol, as seen looking down Pennsylvania Ave.

And finally, the Metro stop we headed down to go home.

Awesome pictures RT, beautiful stuff
    Go Gators!

No more snow on the ground! In fact, it was an absolutely gorgeous weekend in D.C., so my wife and I decided to play tourist. On Saturday, we did a guided walking tour of Capitol Hill and Barrack's Row, then strolled around Eastern Market. Unfortunately, I neglected to bring my camera on Saturday...but yesterday we elected to walk down to the Smithsonian, and I did bring my trusty digital along.
    It really was a wonderful day. My wife and I came down on Saturday from Philly to visit her old roomate who works in DC. She is a park ranger so she had to work on Saturday, so we rode the train down and visited what we could get to during the day. My wife had been to DC before, but I had not. I really enjoyed it. I really liked the WWII and FDR memorials. It was a great day to just walk around. We had nice lunch and then later went to Ben's Chili Bowl. All in all, a pretty good day. Dealing with DC drivers on the beltway on the way back, not so much . Of course, they aren't any worse than Philly drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    We had nice lunch and then later went to Ben's Chili Bowl.
    Ah, I love Ben's...we walk down there quite frequently. My wife has developed an unnatural attraction to their banana milkshakes. And yet she won't touch the chilidogs!

Ah, I love Ben's...we walk down there quite frequently. My wife has developed an unnatural attraction to their banana milkshakes. And yet she won't touch the chilidogs!
    Yea, we liked it. It was a neat place. It kind of reminded me of Price Hill Chili or something, just different chili. The chili dogs were good. I guess that's why it was a good thing we got a lot of walking in.

Turn Off Ads?