Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dare We Say, Chapman to the Rescue?

Dare We Say, Chapman to the Rescue?

If the rest of you are like me, the biggest worry you have watching a Reds game is that they'll blow a big lead. I don't worry about a 5-0 loss or even a 16-5 loss. Sometimes it's just not our day. But losing games after being up 10-1 has the potential to devastate a ballclub.

With that in mind, I think what this team needs more than anything else is a shutdown hammer for the bullpen. I guy who can put a fire, like the 8th inning today, out.

I hate to put this sort of pressure on an untested rookie but I think this team needs Aroldis Chapman more than ever right now. We need a guy who can prevent these sorts of meltdowns. A guy you can put in there and know he won't give up 6 runs. Right now there's not a guy in that pen who isn't vulnerable to giving up a six run inning, although perhaps Coco has turned the corner.

I think we need Chapman and we need him now. He will have a chance of being the guy who puts us over the top in these last 5 weeks. Wouldn't that be a story?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dare We Say, Chapman to the Rescue?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If the rest of you are like me, the biggest worry you have watching a Reds game is that they'll blow a big lead. I don't worry about a 5-0 loss or even a 16-5 loss. Sometimes it's just not our day. But losing games after being up 10-1 has the potential to devastate a ballclub.

With that in mind, I think what this team needs more than anything else is a shutdown hammer for the bullpen. I guy who can put a fire, like the 8th inning today, out.

I hate to put this sort of pressure on an untested rookie but I think this team needs Aroldis Chapman more than ever right now. We need a guy who can prevent these sorts of meltdowns. A guy you can put in there and know he won't give up 6 runs. Right now there's not a guy in that pen who isn't vulnerable to giving up a six run inning, although perhaps Coco has turned the corner.

I think we need Chapman and we need him now. He will have a chance of being the guy who puts us over the top in these last 5 weeks. Wouldn't that be a story?
    He could be our version of the 2002 K-Rod. He needs to be ASAP. Smith, Ondrusek, and Bray were brilliant for a while. But their luck is running out, and they need to be relegated to more of a 6th inning role than 7th and 8th.

Anything but another Bill Bray outing, I've seen enough for now. I like the guy, but he's struggling and, more than that, this team needs some strikeout pitchers - badly. I was upset Masset wasn't used in the 8th because they were connecting with everything all series and he's our best K man. Besides, he's our 8th inning guy.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I think the multitudes will be highly disappointed in Chapman once he gets up. He still walks a lot of hitters and being a reliever, that's not good. I'm also concerned about changing him to a relief pitcher and then trying to get him back to starting. We've seen the Danny Graves experiment go sour. I hope this isn't a repeat. I don't like the way they've handled this at all.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    He could be our version of the 2002 K-Rod. He needs to be ASAP. Smith, Ondrusek, and Bray were brilliant for a while. But their luck is running out, and they need to be relegated to more of a 6th inning role than 7th and 8th.
    Bray has never been brilliant in my estimation. Leave runners on when he comes in and they will score while Bray looks brilliant. Not a fan.

As for Ondrusek and Smith, they are mere children and will probably improve with time, but we're in a pennant race and there's no time for growing up. Use Arthur in sports, bring Masset in the 8th, and (shudder) Codero in the 9th. And just let the rest be mop-up.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think the multitudes will be highly disappointed in Chapman once he gets up. He still walks a lot of hitters and being a reliever, that's not good. I'm also concerned about changing him to a relief pitcher and then trying to get him back to starting. We've seen the Danny Graves experiment go sour. I hope this isn't a repeat. I don't like the way they've handled this at all.
    Just remember, its all relative, but in August (which makes up 20 percent of his career as a Red), he has walked 3 in 10.1 innings. Thats alright by me.

I do hope that there is a good plan to get him back on track to being a starter.

Bray has never been brilliant in my estimation. Leave runners on when he comes in and they will score while Bray looks brilliant. Not a fan.

As for Ondrusek and Smith, they are mere children and will probably improve with time, but we're in a pennant race and there's no time for growing up. Use Arthur in sports, bring Masset in the 8th, and (shudder) Codero in the 9th. And just let the rest be mop-up.
    Well, I wasn't really calling Bray himself brilliant, just the work of the bullpen in general. They played over their heads for an extended stretch, and I think that stretch is coming to a close.

Chapman needs to be up by Friday. Forget about waiting until September 1st, he needs to be immediately. The bullpen is a mess right now. Rick Sweet has said he's ready. Fans who have watched him say he is ready. Jerry Walker from the Reds FO has said he's ready. He needs to be in Cincinnati this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Well, I wasn't really calling Bray himself brilliant, just the work of the bullpen in general. They played over their heads for an extended stretch, and I think that stretch is coming to a close.
    Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we got pretty good work out of Masset and Codero today, but really they were the only relievers who pitched well the whole series. I don't count Bray because he came in, threw a wild pitch and a groudout allowing two runs.

You may be right. Then again, maybe the Giants were just "on" those 3 days and things are well. We'll soon see.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman needs to be up by Friday. Forget about waiting until September 1st, he needs to be immediately. The bullpen is a mess right now. Rick Sweet has said he's ready. Fans who have watched him say he is ready. Jerry Walker from the Reds FO has said he's ready. He needs to be in Cincinnati this weekend.
    There are only 5 games left between now and then. They've waited (and survived) this long, I don't see what will hurt waiting an extra few days.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If that's the case, why isn't he here? This makes no sense at all.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There are only 5 games left between now and then. They've waited (and survived) this long, I don't see what will hurt waiting an extra few days.
    Every game matters at this point. I think Chapman improves the bullpen the minute he's called up. Why not call him up sooner rather than later? What's to lose? Just send down Bray or Lecure and bring up Chapman.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we got pretty good work out of Masset and Codero today, but really they were the only relievers who pitched well the whole series. I don't count Bray because he came in, threw a wild pitch and a groudout allowing two runs.

You may be right. Then again, maybe the Giants were just "on" those 3 days and things are well. We'll soon see.
    No reason to apologize, I worded it poorly .

I'm VERY encouraged by Coco's recent performances. And Masset has been nails for a while now. Add Chapman to that mix.... WHEW. Nasty.

The rest of the guys however... big question mark. Rhodes is older than half the stadiums in MLB it seems, and the others are all pups.

Hmmmm..... maybe there's another Rheal Cormier or Gary Majewski out there to save the day! .

Every game matters at this point. I think Chapman improves the bullpen the minute he's called up. Why not call him up sooner rather than later? What's to lose? Just send down Bray or Lecure and bring up Chapman.
    Agreed. I bring him up ASAP. I see no reason to wait. The clock has struck midnight, and this bullpen is turning into a rather large pumpkin. Time to start cleaning it up a bit.

Well there are certainly other ways to get creative, but the difference is that you're maximizing your roster flex on August 31. The more options you give yourself for the playoffs the better shape you're in.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?