Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr.

Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr.

What a tragic accident in upstate New York a few nights ago.

I've long believed that Tony Stewart is an arrogant a-hole, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he would purposefully hit a guy on purpose in front of a grandstand full of people. I don't believe that's feasible.

However, was he trying to scare the kid and get close to him, and accidentally take him out? Although I'm not sure that's the case, it's easier to believe. For those of you that dabble in law or know more about this than I do, can Stewart face serious charges if this is determined to be the case?

Personally, I think that Tony just didn't see him. The car in front of Stewart had to swerve to miss the guy at the last second (as the driver attested to after the race), and I don't think Tony saw him until it was too late. So awful that Ward died, but getting out of his car and charging like a mad man onto the track (whether it's a caution lap or not) is incredibly dangerous and playing with fire.

Also, those sprint cars aren't exactly normal cars. Doesn't look like you could have a good view of things side to side.

Any other thoughts or opinions on this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr.

I think I know what likely happended. After reading tons of real life racers opinions and watching it in super slow mo.

Tony held his line under caution and I guarantee he saw him hundreds of feet away. The kid just kept coming and stepped into Tony ' s right front tire and it pulled him into the much larger rear tire. That sprint car has 800 hp and the rpms of both tires just flung him to death. You can see the front tires jolt right at the moment Wards leg hit the right front. Tony would not turn into him and I say could not have done the subtle yet quick turn himself for various reasons.

The victim just got too close and Tony and the car really can't turn or avoid it with out a gas and brake combo that it takes to turn one of those cars quickly enough on dirt.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    What a tragic accident in upstate New York a few nights ago.

I've long believed that Tony Stewart is an arrogant a-hole, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he would purposefully hit a guy on purpose in front of a grandstand full of people. I don't believe that's feasible.

However, was he trying to scare the kid and get close to him, and accidentally take him out? Although I'm not sure that's the case, it's easier to believe. For those of you that dabble in law or know more about this than I do, can Stewart face serious charges if this is determined to be the case?

Personally, I think that Tony just didn't see him. The car in front of Stewart had to swerve to miss the guy at the last second (as the driver attested to after the race), and I don't think Tony saw him until it was too late. So awful that Ward died, but getting out of his car and charging like a mad man onto the track (whether it's a caution lap or not) is incredibly dangerous and playing with fire.

Also, those sprint cars aren't exactly normal cars. Doesn't look like you could have a good view of things side to side.

Any other thoughts or opinions on this?
    Also he was wearing a dark suit, late evening/early night. Not exactly the most visible thing among the other dozens of cars. I agree my money is that Tony never saw him and this is more of a story because of Tony's reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I think I know what likely happended. After reading tons of real life racers opinions and watching it in super slow mo.

Tony held his line under caution and I guarantee he saw him hundreds of feet away. The kid just kept coming and stepped into Tony ' s right front tire and it pulled him into the much larger rear tire. That sprint car has 800 hp and the rpms of both tires just flung him to death. You can see the front tires jolt right at the moment Wards leg hit the right front. Tony would not turn into him and I say could not have done the subtle yet quick turn himself for various reasons.

The victim just got too close and Tony and the car really can't turn or avoid it with out a gas and brake combo that it takes to turn one of those cars quickly enough on dirt.
    You are correct, sir. Totally. As I've recounted elsewhere, I had a long conversation with Tony in January. He's tough on the outside and a ***** cat on the inside. I was recovering from my surgery for a broken ankle and Tony was recovering from his much worse broken leg, but we both had the same problems--constant swelling, pain, and walking with a noticeable limp. We got along well. He's not so much an a-hole as he seems, but more like a guy who has an image and will do what he has to so that image lives. Earnhardt was the same way. Tony did not do that on purpose, but I'll guarantee the headlines that say "Tony Stewart Kills Driver" will haunt him forever.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-12-2014)

I don't know much at all about racing but I do know it was incredibly stupid for Ward to be on the track like he was. I'm sure he lost his temper and he paid the ultimate price for it. You have to give Stewart the benefit of a doubt unless you see proof that he went out of his way to hit him. I haven't seen that. If he has any sensitivity at all, this will haunt him the rest of his life. I feel bad for Stewart for that reason.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-12-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (08-12-2014)

For a Level Playing Field

I do not understand why people would even ask, "Did Stewart do it on purpose?" Seriously. Why would a guy like Tony Stewart do something this heinous and stupid? Not happening. But I sort of understand when we live in the world of ESPN (and others) with all their hot air and BS. With big mouths like Dan Le Batard getting viewers/listeners to buy into their crap. Stop, allow common sense and logic to weed out LeBatard and his ilk, then ask yourself, "Did Tony Stewart hit Ward on purpose?"

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I do not understand why people would even ask, "Did Stewart do it on purpose?" Seriously. Why would a guy like Tony Stewart do something this heinous and stupid? Not happening. But I sort of understand when we live in the world of ESPN (and others) with all their hot air and BS. With big mouths like Dan Le Batard getting viewers/listeners to buy into their crap. Stop, allow common sense and logic to weed out LeBatard and his ilk, then ask yourself, "Did Tony Stewart hit Ward on purpose?"
    You're kidding, right? Yeah no famous athlete (or whatever you want to call Stewart) has ever done anything heinous or stupid before. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You're kidding, right? Yeah no famous athlete (or whatever you want to call Stewart) has ever done anything heinous or stupid before. :|
    So without any evidence to support it, you're willing to believe Stewart is capable of murder (which is what it would likely be if Stewart were found to have acted purposefully)? I can't help but wonder if opinions on Stewart are colored by what I feel is a strong undercurrent of NASCAR fandom. It seems to me that there is a subset of NASCAR fans who have a strong dislike for drivers who are not "good ole boys" from the South. When talking to NASCAR fans, I've heard drivers like Stewart and Jeff Gordon described in ways that one would think they're evil incarnate. Why? Because they weren't born south of the Mason-Dixon line and weren't taught the unwritten rules of NASCAR on their daddies' knees.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-12-2014),Larkin Fan (08-12-2014)

I don't care enough about racing nor do I want to watch a clip where another human gets hit with a car. I did see a little bit of the clip where Ward gets out of his car and walks and points at what I assume to be Steward. That in its self was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It is inconceivable and inherently dangerous. This guy is putting himself in harms way, in the middle of a dirt track with cars racing by at dangerous speeds. To complicate it the track I would imagine doesn't lend itself to pinpoint control.

I would venture go guess that Tony Stewart did nothing wrong in this incident, no one buy Tony will know what was going through his mind at that time. I do know that his past anger issues could lead towards a public opinion that he was somehow complicit in this accident. I do know that if Ward would have done what he was supposed to do and not venture out into drivers path in anger no one would have ever heard about a race in upstate New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    So without any evidence to support it, you're willing to believe Stewart is capable of murder (which is what it would likely be if Stewart were found to have acted purposefully)? I can't help but wonder if opinions on Stewart are colored by what I feel is a strong undercurrent of NASCAR fandom. It seems to me that there is a subset of NASCAR fans who have a strong dislike for drivers who are not "good ole boys" from the South. When talking to NASCAR fans, I've heard drivers like Stewart and Jeff Gordon described in ways that one would think they're evil incarnate. Why? Because they weren't born south of the Mason-Dixon line and weren't taught the unwritten rules of NASCAR on their daddies' knees.
    I never said any of that. All I said was "why would a guy like Tony Stewart do something so heinous and stupid" is a really bad defense because rich athletes do heinous and stupid things (sometimes including murder) all the time. That's a dumb defense.

I'm from the north and I hate NASCAR.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Purposely hit another driver during a race? Sure. Le Batard should be happy. Tony Stewart is famous and he is also not an idiot or murderer (and I am not a Tony fan). I also like to think all these drivers have a common respect for the safety of all drivers. They sometimes are mad at each other and all that during a race, but would not wish injury nor death upon each other. It goes without saying... unless you hate NASCAR and do not understand that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Purposely hit another driver during a race? Sure. Le Batard should be happy. Tony Stewart is famous and he is also not an idiot or murderer (and I am not a Tony fan). I also like to think all these drivers have a common respect for the safety of all drivers. They sometimes are mad at each other and all that during a race, but would not wish injury nor death upon each other. It goes without saying... unless you hate NASCAR and do not understand that sort of thing.
    I didn't realize it took a NASCAR fan to realize common sense would lead you to believe a driver wouldn't intentionally run over another driver on foot. Glad we cleared that up, whew. The idea that it is beyond Tony Stewart to do something terrible or stupid is an unbelievably flawed way of thinking. You don't know Tony Stewart, you don't know his character. You're not close to him. Would it be shocking and terrible? Yes, but stuff like that happens everyday.

Another factor to consider, is that this happened on a dirt track. Unlike a nice paved track that NASCAR runs on, the dirt gets grooves cut into it from all the traffic constantly circling around. On a paved course, Tony may have been able to quickly dart to his left to avoid him, on a dirt course, by the time he saw him, he may not have been able to maneuver near as easily. He may have been able to see him hundreds of feet away as someone posted above, then again he may not have seen him until he was right on top of him. Poorly light track, guy wearing a dark suit, coming around an oval coarse, lots of traffic in front of him, etc... To assume that he saw him any earlier than when he was right on top of him is a large assumption in my opinion, lots of factors working against him. Even if he did see him get out of the car, I doubt Tony ever considered for a minute that he would walk into the middle of the track and keep on approaching ongoing traffic as Tony was circling the track.

18. Likes:

powersackers (08-12-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I personally believe this is a case of stupidity on both sides that resulted in an accident. Not for one second do I believe that Stewart hit this kid intentionally, but what I do believe is that Stewart was trying to rattle his cage a little after the initial incident. If you listen to the video you can hear a car rev right before Stewart comes on screen and hits Ward. What I believe happened was 1 of 2 things. First, Stewart knew this kidd was pissed and was trying to speed by him, which is a common practice in racing, or secondly, I believe he could have been trying to throw dirt on him with the car and it got way out of hand. Those are the only reasons why Stewart would accelerate. Ward was wrong for getting out of his car and trying to approach Stewart, it could have waited until after the race. Emotions were running high tho. I do think that NASCAR will make changes for their races tho and make it illegal to get out of your car after a crash, unless it is for safety concerns. many local dirt tracks have already implimented this over the last couple days. Horrible targedy that didn't need to happen!!!!

only reasons? There is at least one more that I've heard, if you believe that Tony hit the accelerator.

I'm no racing expert, but I heard a former racer explain the potential acceleration. Being on a dirt track, and running the wheels in the grooves created by all of the prior laps by all of the other cars racing, the only way for a drive to quickly dart to his left is to hit the gas while turning the wheel left to get the car out of the groove and hopefully out of the way. He went on to say that if that is the case, the reason why you see Tony's car dart back to the right after the incident is that would be the natural reaction to overcompensating on the original "dart to the left" so that he could regain control of his car.

Only Tony Steward knows what truly happened in that instance. As far as I know, he has yet to publicly describe what he went thru in those moments. The Police, at least so far, seem to be satisfied with whatever account Tony provided to them. It not fair to anyone involved to limit say it had to be 1 of 2 things or 1 of three things, etc... There are many possibilities, but we don't need to jump to conclusions, still too many facts that we don't know about, facts we may never know about.

Turn Off Ads?