Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

I just got a motorola droid (this is my first post using my phone). Any experienced droid owners have tips or good apps for me? Thanks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

The ones I use the most:

FreeCaddie - if you play golf
    Live Scores - decent gamecast tracker
    Mileage - gas mileage tracker
    Pandora - music player
    Stocks - stock quote listings
    The Weather Channel - self explanatory

Those are all free apps.

I haven't purchased MLB At Bat since I've been content with using the Live Scores app to track Reds games when I'm not around to watch/listen, but if a pennant race ensues this summer then I'll probably purchase it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I use PureRSS to stay on top of all things internet. Shazam listens to songs and tells you the name and artist for those times you really wish you know that song. ShopSavvy lets you scan a barcode of a product and finds prices both locally and online for you.

I also use a different music program than the one that comes on the phone, but its just a personal preference. I second cyclone on Pandora though. It makes driving so much better.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I just got a motorola droid
    These aren't the droids your looking for.

Most that I was going to mention have already been listed (Pandora, ShopSaavy, Shazam). But I'll add Google Earth and I prefer Handcent to the stock texting tool.

The only app I've bought is MLB At Bat. I'd strongly recommend it.

Check out http://www.androinica.com. It's the best blog I've found so far for app recommendations. The nice thing about Android is that there are so many useful free apps out there, you can test drive them without obligation.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Most that I was going to mention have already been listed (Pandora, ShopSaavy, Shazam).
    These are must-haves.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

EasyTether Lite lets you connect your phone to a laptop and use the phone's internet as its internet. You can also use this on you're Xbox 360 or PS3!
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    EasyTether Lite lets you connect your phone to a laptop and use the phone's internet as its internet. You can also use this on you're Xbox 360 or PS3!
    I was always under the impression that it was frowned upon to do this, so I always avoided it. Anyone know for sure, because I would love to be able to go work from the park some days but never have been able to because of the lack of internet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was always under the impression that it was frowned upon to do this, so I always avoided it. Anyone know for sure, because I would love to be able to go work from the park some days but never have been able to because of the lack of internet.
    I was looking through the app, and all the descriptions and everything for it act like using it for a computer was fine, nothing in there was against it. As long as you have unlimited data, I don't see the problem.
    Let's make some noise!

Retired

I was looking through the app, and all the descriptions and everything for it act like using it for a computer was fine, nothing in there was against it. As long as you have unlimited data, I don't see the problem.
    Unlimited data isn't "unlimited". It's capped at 2GB, if you go over get ready to pay....a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Unlimited data isn't "unlimited". It's capped at 2GB, if you go over get ready to pay....a lot.
    I have read that its actually 5GB with Verizon, but yeah.... the 'unlimited' isn't actually unlimited. Which to me, feels like someone should be getting sued.

The app isn't going to tell you its against the policy. From everything I have read online though, its against the terms of service to currently tether your phone.

I have read that its actually 5GB with Verizon, but yeah.... the 'unlimited' isn't actually unlimited. Which to me, feels like someone should be getting sued.
    I've read both 5GB and that it really is unlimited. The policy seems to change so frequently, it's hard to know for sure.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-01-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The app isn't going to tell you its against the policy. From everything I have read online though, its against the terms of service to currently tether your phone.
    Some providers require you to pay for tethering. There are ways around it, but it is frowned upon by most providers. At&t used to be about the only one who included tethering in their data plan, but even they have started to charge for it.

The problem for those providers who do charge for it, there really isn't a way to tell if the user has been tethering. It used to be that they could tell if there was a spike in data usage, but phones now have pretty beefy browsing and downloading abilities so it is near impossible to tell. Still, you are breaking the terms of service agreement.

Turn Off Ads?