Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordero for Lidge?

Cordero for Lidge?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...es-closer.html

The Phillies probably are looking for a closer for next year, and someone to take Brad Lidge off their hands.

How about the Reds send Cordero to Philly for Lidge and prospects and/or cash.

Cordero and Lidge make almost the same over the next two year. Cordero is more likely to be a reliable closer next year, and the second year, I'd say it's a push. The Phillies will be contenders for sure, the Reds... maybe.

So to gain some certainty at a crucial position next season, the Phillies just have to give up some prospects and/or cash. The Reds lose some reliability for next season when they may or may not be in contention, but gain some pieces to fill in some holes.

And it's not like Lidge is crap, he's just having a bad year. Last year, he was perfect in save situations. He might be able to bounce back, but who cares. This is only an issue if the Reds are in contention, and he pitches like crap. if that is the case, the Reds will have time to adjust and find a new closer, and if the can't, that is the risk they are taking in order to get the prospects/cash they need to fill other holes.

Now I am biased, because I think a team can contend without a great closer, just look at the Phillies this year, and the Braves in the 90's, and many other examples. Closers are needed most in the playoffs, and I can only hope that is a problem the Reds have to deal with next year.

Just an idea. Any thoughts?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cordero for Lidge?

So we're going to trade away a good closer for a closer of huge uncertainty, who had a terrible season, lost his job, and is making the same money as the one we have? Where is the upside in this? The prospects and cash?

This is not helping us; but it sure is helping the Phillies.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't think its a bad idea. I'd prefer dealing Cordero for a contract that fills a different hole, but if the Phils would cover say $6 Million per year of Lidge's deal and throw in a decent prospect it may be ok. Philly probably wouldn't deal Happ or Taylor. Marson is already gone, so I doubt any prospects that could fill our holes would be available and some one for the future would be more likely. Say Cordero for Lidge, $6 Million per year and Domonic Brown (6-5, 204 LB just turned 22, LH Corner OF who went .299/.377/.504/.880 in A+/AA in 2009).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So we're going to trade away a good closer for a closer of huge uncertainty, who had a terrible season, lost his job, and is making the same money as the one we have? Where is the upside in this? The prospects and cash?

This is not helping us; but it sure is helping the Phillies.
    The Right prospects and enough cash would make it worth doing. The Reds need to restructure the payroll and bullpen money needs reallocated to other areas of the team. If Philly would cover say half of Lidge's deal and throw in a good prospect it could help. Then the $6 Million per year freed up would allow the Reds to deal for a guy like JJ Hardy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Right prospects and enough cash would make it worth doing. The Reds need to restructure the payroll and bullpen money needs reallocated to other areas of the team. If Philly would cover say half of Lidge's deal and throw in a good prospect it could help. Then the $6 Million per year freed up would allow the Reds to deal for a guy like JJ Hardy.
    So, the Phillies are going to pay all of Cordero's salary, plus half of Lidge's, and throw in a minor leaguer? Can we interest them in the Brooklyn Bridge, as well?

Thing that makes me laugh about this is Philly KNEW they had a closer problem back before the deadline, but refused to entertain offers for their top prospects. So they made the bed they are now having a sleep in. I look forward to Lidge killing them in the playoffs. They deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, the Phillies are going to pay all of Cordero's salary, plus half of Lidge's, and throw in a minor leaguer? Can we interest them in the Brooklyn Bridge, as well?
    Depends if they want a new closer or not. I'd guess not, but if not, then pass. But if they keep Lidge and go get some one else who is established, it will cost about the same. They won't want a question mark there. They're a world series contender.

Depends if they want a new closer or not. I'd guess not, but if not, then pass. But if they keep Lidge and go get some one else who is established, it will cost about the same. They won't want a question mark there. They're a world series contender.
    Here I thought the going wisdom was that Ryan Franklin's grow on trees.

High five!

I just don't see any benefit for the Reds. Nor do I see any way the Phillies make this trade.

They do in St. Louis. Dave Duncan is an excellent arborist.

This is a doable deal given the right prospects and pile o' cash. The Reds need to look at doing things like this. They can't just rely on hoping Stubbs/Bruce/et al get better.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

This deal would only make sense if the cash/prospects coming back from the Phillies is large enough such that it no longer makes no sense to the Phillies.

Getting a guy like Franklin and putting him in middle relief while you have an established guy (St. Louis had Izzy at the time and moved Franklin out of necessity) is not a bad way to go. Its what I want the Reds to do with Masset. If it fails, well, the Reds aren't going to win the series anyway. If it succeeds, then the hole they fill with the cash makes them that much closer. But if the Reds were a power and a series contender, I wouldn't go that route. I'd want an established guy. I don't think Philly has an internal option unless they re-sign Brett Myers and he and Lidge would cost more than eating half of Lidge's deal for Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I just don't see any benefit for the Reds. Nor do I see any way the Phillies make this trade.
    Me either.

Then let them take Cordero straight up if he will OK the trade depending on the conditions of his limited no trade clause.

We're in the driver's seat then if the Phillies would desire a closer like Cordero. My Gawd! For once I wish this organization would act like it. Don't let them place conditions on us - like taking Lidge, while they pay a part of his contract. Blecch!

If Coco will OK the trade, then trade them straight up while freeing up 12M, while finding a cheaper alternative to fill our closer role.

Lidge is THEIR problem. Don't make him ours.

But as tr pointed out.... the Phillies aren't going to pay Cordero's salary, and part of Lidges, plus give up prospects, just to get a dependable closer. That's a heck of a chunk of change to being paying a closer. Could figure in the range of 17M approximately, depending on how much of Lidge's salary they'd agree to pick up.

And we really get nothing to improve this team in 2010 from it.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-26-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Then let them take Cordero straight up if he will OK the trade depending on the conditions of his limited no trade clause.

We're in the driver's seat then if the Phillies would desire a closer like Cordero. My Gawd! For once I wish this organization would act like it. Don't let them place conditions on us - like taking Lidge, while they pay a part of his contract. Blecch!

If Coco will OK the trade, then trade them straight up while freeing up 12M, while finding a cheaper alternative to fill our closer role.

Lidge is THEIR problem. Don't make him ours.

But as tr pointed out.... the Phillies aren't going to pay Cordero's salary, and part of Lidges, plus give up prospects, just to get a dependable closer. That's a heck of a chunk of change to being paying a closer. Could figure in the range of 17M approximately, depending on how much of Lidge's salary they'd agree to pick up.

And we really get nothing to improve this team in 2010 from it.
    Actually I agree. I just think it may be worth taking part of Lidge off of their hands to get another talented kid who is near ready. Draft a kid like that and you'd pay about 70% of what I'm proposing anyway and have to wait 3 or 4 years and hope he doesn't stall on levels that this guy has already mastered..

Turn Off Ads?