Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Every year, year after year 200 innings, 12-14 wins, era around 4, no missed starts, and the type of delivery and stuff that should last for another 2-3 years. You don't think anyone will be interested? I think you are wrong about that.
    Some team will, no doubt. Though it's hard to say what they'll offer.

His ERA also may be unusually inflated by the 2-3 games each year that Bad Arroyo starts.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

need hitting, the rotation of leake, cingrani cueto, bailey and latos is good enough

Everyone don't get me wrong. I don't think the Reds should bring Bronson back. I just think they should make the qualifying offer. Maybe some of you don't understand the rules for qualifying offers. The Reds have five days after the Series ends to make Bronson a qualifying offer - 1 year at around 13.3 million (don't know this years exact figure) - He then has seven days to accept or reject it. That is basically it. So - Bronson doesn't have the luxury of getting a bunch of offers or not, then deciding to take the Reds offer or not. He has to decide then and there BEFORE the FA agent season gets into swing. He has stated many times that he wants a multi year deal. I believe he will reject a qualifying offer. If the Reds do not make such an offer he walks with no compensation whatever to the Reds. There is little risk, imo, that he will accept such an offer. Bronson knows at 37, if he waits another year, his chance of a multi year deal goes down significantly. 38 IS different than 37 in the baseball marketplace. So - make him the offer, get that draft pick. Go with Cueto-Latos-Bailey-Leake-Cingrani next year. Induct Bronson in the Reds HoF when he retires. And hopefully that draft pick goes all Stephenson or Votto for us down the road.

5. Likes:

CmdrCody (09-10-2013),Old school 1983 (09-08-2013),PedroBourbon (09-24-2013),Rantly (09-11-2013),REDREAD (09-12-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013),remdog (09-08-2013),Revering4Blue (09-13-2013),Stingray (09-11-2013)

Its a shame, but he'll be gone. As will Choo. And the Reds will be fine. Definitely an all-time great Reds pitcher. I remember a few years ago when he was by far our best player, hands down
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Every year, year after year 200 innings, 12-14 wins, era around 4, no missed starts, and the type of delivery and stuff that should last for another 2-3 years. You don't think anyone will be interested? I think you are wrong about that.
    I think a team with a weak pitching staff will pay for Bronson, it makes sense to give him a qualifying offer so the Reds get a compensation pick. To be honest I enjoy having a starting rotation like the Reds have. Price deserves to be the highest paid pitching coach out there. I can't recall a staff as good as this since the Reds had Tom Seaver, before Wagner nuked the team.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    I think a team with a weak pitching staff will pay for Bronson, it makes sense to give him a qualifying offer so the Reds get a compensation pick. To be honest I enjoy having a starting rotation like the Reds have. Price deserves to be the highest paid pitching coach out there. I can't recall a staff as good as this since the Reds had Tom Seaver, before Wagner nuked the team.
    ?? Besides Seaver they were very average

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    need hitting, the rotation of leake, cingrani cueto, bailey and latos is good enough
    I think we need to re-sign him. We've been awful lucky in terms of health with starting pitching the last 2 years compared to the rest of MLB. A back strain for Cingrani and a lat for Cueto. Both of those could end up being long term problems. If the re-up Arroyo, we have a guaranteed 200 IP. If everyone stays healthy, Leake can work out of the BP. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree that the move is risky. I think you make the offer, but if he accepts the Reds will be forced to deal Bailey or Chapman and maybe another $2 to $3 Million or so player to make it fit (Hanigan? Heisey? Lecure?).
    Honestly, it's tempting to resign Arroyo to a 2-3 year deal and trade Bailey ( if needed). The Reds can trade Bailey on their own timeline (for example, when they are confident Cueto is healthy).

2-3 years of Arroyo + whatever you get for Bailey > 1 year of Homer + draft pick for letting Arroyo walk

Or at least potentially so. This assumes Homer is gone after 2014. If Homer is willing to talk about resigning and it's possible financially, that changes everything.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If the chance came to sign Bailey over Bronson, I would do it without a blink. But, Bailey does not want to be here long term and Bronson is too old and has too much wear on him to sign. I would trade Bailey for some hitting prospects and bring up Stephenson asap. Leake, Latos, Cigrani, Stephenson, and Cueto is a solid rotation for "14

Arroyo proved to be a valuable asset for a young staff. His time and need has come and gone. It's time to use his spot in the rotation to bring a young guy along and keep building for the future. Cueto, Latos, Leake, Bailey, and Cingrani seems just fine to me, and leaves room in AAA for a new ace of the future to step up and get plenty of innings.

He can be expected to be a rock upon which everyone else can stand for hopefully, another year. How many times has Arroyo been the stopper when the team has been in a slide? Answer: Too many times to at least not make a serious effort to keep him. However, I do understand the attitude of "let him go". I just don't think that is prudent. Kinda' like letting Perez go in '77. Leadership is an intanglble..

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    He can be expected to be a rock upon which everyone else can stand for hopefully, another year. How many times has Arroyo been the stopper when the team has been in a slide? Answer: Too many times to at least not make a serious effort to keep him. However, I do understand the attitude of "let him go". I just don't think that is prudent. Kinda' like letting Perez go in '77. Leadership is an intanglble..
    ...and what about the inevitable home runs Arroyo gives up? It's time to move on and bring in a guy that will hopefully improve, like a Cingrani, than to just hope every 5th day that Arroyo will only give hope a couple solo homers and the Red's offense can outscore their opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    But, you can't get him on a one-year deal. He's going to want 2-3 years for a lot of money.

I don't think he gets offered the qualifying offer.

If he declines, it lessens his free agency worth.

Recent estimates I've seen have him as a 2 yr 25 MM player if the Reds don't offer a qualifying offer. If they do, his price probably drops as teams won't pursue him having to give up a draft pick.

Reds are in a catch 22 with the QA.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't think he gets offered the qualifying offer.

If he declines, it lessens his free agency worth.

Recent estimates I've seen have him as a 2 yr 25 MM player if the Reds don't offer a qualifying offer. If they do, his price probably drops as teams won't pursue him having to give up a draft pick.

Reds are in a catch 22 with the QA.
    Somewhat. Make the offer. Take the risk. 1 year. It's liveable with questions to both Cingrani and Cueto's long term health.

19. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?