Turn Off Ads?

Thread: London Olympics logo may induce seizure

London Olympics logo may induce seizure

Epilepsy fears over 2012 footage

The logo was unveiled on Monday
    A segment of animated footage promoting the 2012 Olympics has been removed from the organisers' website after fears it could trigger epileptic seizures.

Prof Graham Harding, who developed the test used to measure photo-sensitivity levels in TV material, said it should not be broadcast again.

Charity Epilepsy Action said it had received calls from people who had suffered fits after seeing it.

Organiser London 2012 said it will re-edit the film.

The new logo for the event, which is a jagged emblem based on the date 2012, was unveiled on Monday.

We are taking it very seriously and are looking into it as a matter of urgency
    London 2012 spokeswoman

A London 2012 spokeswoman said the health concerns surrounded a piece of animation shown at the launch, which was recorded by broadcasters and put on the official website.

Emphasising that it was not the logo itself which was the focus of worries, she said: "This concerns a short piece of animation which we used as part of the logo launch event and not the actual logo."

She said the section of footage concerned showed a "diver diving into a pool which had a multi-colour ripple effect".

The spokeswoman said: "We are taking it very seriously and are looking into it as a matter of urgency."

Prof Harding is an expert in clinical neuro-physiology and he designed a test which all moving adverts need to undergo to check they will not trigger a reaction in people with epilepsy.

He told BBC London 94.9FM: "It fails the Harding FPA machine test which is the machine the television industry uses to test images.

"And so it does not comply with Ofcom guidelines and is in contravention of them."

The brand incorporates both the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which is ironic as the latter is a showcase for athletes with disabilities
    Epilepsy Action spokesman

Christopher Filmer rang BBC London 94.9FM to say he suffered a seizure while watching the footage on television and his girlfriend also suffered a fit and needed hospital treatment.

"The logo came up on TV and I was thinking about the 2012 Games and then I was out," he said.

Epilepsy Action said the images could affect the 23,000 people in the UK who have photosensitive epilepsy.

It said it had even triggered breakthrough seizures where people have a relapse after being seizure-free for a long time.

A spokesman for the charity said: "The brand incorporates both the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which is ironic as the latter is a showcase for athletes with disabilities.

"People can strive for years to gain seizure control and it is important that nothing puts this at risk."
    The logo:

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: London Olympics logo may induce seizure

adfaeegg gadgrrrhjh jfyykgggk jykkyycduuu, graerww hsnm,j mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We are taking it very seriously and are looking into it as a matter of urgency
    London 2012 spokeswoman
    The spokeswoman said: "We are taking it very seriously and are looking into it as a matter of urgency."
    Okay, my question is, is anyone taking this very seriously and are they looking into it as a matter of urgency?

God, that logo is putrid.

Absolutely putrid.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I wonder if it's the COLOR AND the design that is causing fits...?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Yeah, nevermind.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I shudder to think what would happen if Mary Hart was talking while that logo was in the background. Heads exploding all over the place.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

It looks like a stylized picture of the Human Torch with stomach cramps.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

i had seen that logo a few times and couldn't figure out what it was until the article says its 2012. I can now see that now, but still looks like poop. I know they are trying to be different but come on, this is the olympics how can you screw up the one thing that goes on every single Olympic piece of merchandise that badly?

That was New Yorks preliminary logo.

Sidneys - both nice and classy.

Heck even the "tacky" Atlanta games had a nice logo

If you think the static logo is bad, you should see the animated version. They showed it on the Daily Show yesterday. Ugh. My eyes still haven't recovered.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If you think the static logo is bad, you should see the animated version. They showed it on the Daily Show yesterday. Ugh. My eyes still haven't recovered.
    I thought maybe they had stolen the idea from a mid-80s aerobics video.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by michst View Post
    Heck even the "tacky" Atlanta games had a nice logo
    Izzy, on the other hand...

The logo in the original post looks like it was inspired by a typical set of British teeth.

Turn Off Ads?