Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Brown, go after Savage

Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    lol at the idea of the Bengals hiring scouts. That's less likely than hiring a GM I think. I mean they have all they need with the couple they have now, why bring in more?
    If I had my choice...

If the Dolphins sale goes through and Parcells is allowed out of his contract, I would throw a boatload of money Parcells way and give him absolute total control of the franchise.

Let Marvin go and bring in your own guy, you've got it.

Control of the draft, consider it done.

That being said, I am not Mike Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

Stay the course
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

Stay the course
    "Stay on target. . ."

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM
    If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.

i would like to see the bengals go after new england's general manager. but, it will never happen. mike brown will never do that. he will continue to run the bengals and, they will continue to win 3-5 games per year. until mike brown step's down or, step's aside or, whatever he has to do. the bengals will not win. i would like very much to see the bengals start winning but, as long as mike brown is running the team. it will never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.
    All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

Serriusly.

All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.
    I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."
    I could see that scenario playing out. That's why we'll never be able to land a top front office type, unfortunately

Savage wants too much control for Mike Brown to give up so it wouldn't work... I coud see it last year regarding Chris Henry...

Savage: let Chris Henry go somewhere else

MB: No, I'm bringing him in...

S: You mean Chris "Don't You Know Who I Am" Henry? He's had one too many chances!

MB: It's done, I'm bringing him in

S: I'm outta here...

Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM
    Kellen Winslow was in Cleveland before Phil Savage. Savage made some good moves (Shaun Rogers, Joe Thomas, BQ), but most moves never worked out. Savage was the REASON a lot of people were ticked off in Cleveland. It his way or the highway and usually, his way isn't that good. Take him if you want him...
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

Serriusly.
    I absolutely agree. Health being the # 1 issue standing in the way. If we are relatively healthy and completely healthy with regards to certain critical positions (I.E. Carson) then I am getting more and more optimistic. Depending of course on how how the offseason goes.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....
    I think Fred Savage is just as likely as any other Savage for GM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

From Mike Brown's perspective, hiring a GM is a PR move.

He'll look at it this way:

If I spend X amount of dollars on a GM, what kind of profit will I gain from that?

In other words, Mikey's not getting a GM.

Turn Off Ads?