Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

I know it's still early, but ... Dusty Baker for Manager of the Year?

Pythag is not a projection, even when it's good.

Whatever happened to that hard-throwing Cuban kid?

Let's act like we've been here before, even if the younger fans have to fake it.

Why do the Reds end up with the slow runner holding at third and the faster runner charging around second with his head down?

Obviously the solution for Reds attendance is to have 81 Civil Rights Games a year.

Aroldis Chapman just needs a good coach, like Mario Soto or Mike Leake.

We haven't heard from Bob Castellini lately, but he must be thinking, "Now that's what I'm talking about ..."

Temper your enthusiasm if you want, but I'm rooting more than ever for the NL to win the All-Star game this year.
    Last edited by BCubb2003; 05-18-2010 at 10:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    We haven't heard from Bob Castellini lately, but he must be thinking, "Now that's I'm talking about ..."
    Ole Bob losing coherency by the day it appears?

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Ole Bob losing coherency by the day it appears?
    Sorry about that. Some thoughts are more random than others.

Sorry about that. Some thoughts are more random than others.
    Haha, I know what you mean.

Always love a good Random Thoughts thread... how long has it been since we've gotten to have one when the Reds are good?

Let's act like we've been here before, even if the younger fans have to fake it.
    I random thoughts.

Well done BCubb, per usual.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I have never been here before.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have never been here before.
    Same. I was only 9 during the 1999 season and couldn't appreciate the season like most of the others here.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Same. I was only 9 during the 1999 season and couldn't appreciate the season like most of the others here.
    You know that warm, fuzzy feeling you have about the Reds right now? Or maybe the feeling you get going into every game thinking there's no way they can lose? That was pretty much the entire 1999 season. Pretty cool.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

The main thing I remember about the 99 season is being able to do all the starters batting stances while playing wiffleball with the neighborhood kids.

P.S.-I had the Greg Vaughn down pat. Still do, too.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    You know that warm, fuzzy feeling you have about the Reds right now? Or maybe the feeling you get going into every game thinking there's no way they can lose? That was pretty much the entire 1999 season. Pretty cool.
    I went to many games that year... even bought a SRO seat for the one game playoff with the Mets.

I was 14 in 1999 and I know that I didnt enjoy it enough or even realize what it meant. The last decade has made the start to this season amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I went to many games that year... even bought a SRO seat for the one game playoff with the Mets.
    Yeah I went to a bunch too. Didn't make it to the one game playoff though. One of the coolest things I recall about that year was seemingly everywhere you went, people were donning their Reds gear. It took a couple months, but it happened. I'm starting to notice it a bit here in the Dayton area already. Just today at the gym I walked past probably five or so conversations about the Reds. I've gone to that gym Monday thru Friday every day since it opened and not heard one word about the Reds until now.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I know it's still early, but ... Dusty Baker for Manager of the Year?

Pythag is not a projection, even when it's good.

Whatever happened to that hard-throwing Cuban kid?

Why do the Reds end up with the slow runner holding at third and the faster runner charging around second with his head down?

Obviously the solution for Reds attendance is to have 81 Civil Rights Games a year.

Aroldis Chapman just needs a good coach, like Mario Soto or Mike Leake.

We haven't heard from Bob Castellini lately, but he must be thinking, "Now that's what I'm talking about ..."

Temper your enthusiasm if you want, but I'm rooting more than ever for the NL to win the All-Star game this year.

1) No argument here so far

2) OK

3) Who dat be??

4) We have...in 2006 =)

5) No operation is perfect

6) Or bobblehead giveaways...

7) I vote for Mario in the minors.

8) Damn skippy!

9) HELL YEAH!

What about Redsfan320? That poor kid only knows of the lost decade.

I at least was old enough as a kid to remember the 1990 World Series. Unfortunately the younger whipper snappers only know mediocrity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I just turned 23 in March, so I've had to suffer through quite a bit of losing by the Reds.

I was only eight years old in 1995 but I do remember very small bits and pieces of the Reds sweeping the Dodgers in the 1995 NLDS and then getting swept by the Braves in the NLCS. That's the only thing I can remember about 1995. I was 12 years old during the 1999 season and remember it like it was yesterday. That was an incredible season. Like someone else said, you always had the feeling the Reds were going to win. That team had a ton of walk off wins. I remember the Pokey Reese walk off 3-run HR against the Cardinals. I remember Barry Larkin having a ton of key hits. Other great memories include: Eddie Taubensee and Aaron Boone hitting grand slams in consecutive innings against the Expos in a game that I attended; Greg Vaughn hitting three homers in a game at Wrigley Field; a 24-12 win in Coors Field; a 22-1 win in Philadelphia in a game where the Reds hit a NL record nine home runs; the Juan Guzman trade; Scott Williamson dominating with his filthy stuff; Sean Casey flirting for the batting title.

I know that season ended with a huge disappointment by losing the one game playoff to the Mets, but man, that was a fun season. I still can't believe they won 96 games and still missed the playoffs. That's crazy.

Maybe this is the year and maybe it's not, but one day when the Reds have that magical season and make the playoffs and World Series, it's going to feel extra special for those in my age group because we've never had that feeling. I tell my dad all the time that he's lucky because he's seen the Reds win three World Series titles in his lifetime. I hope I'm that lucky.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-19-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Turn Off Ads?