Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tis' The Offseason For Trading..

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Tis' The Offseason For Trading..

The GM Meetings have opened up a huge list of names who are or could be traded this offseason. Reds have some question marks in some areas and will need to address those before the season starts. Here is a list of what names that have been rumored by position:

Starting Pitchers:

Jake Peavy
    Scott Olsen
    Dontrelle Willis
    Nate Robertson
    Edwin Jackson
    Javier Vazquez
    Jason Marquis
    Ian Kennedy

Relievers:

Huston Street
    Bobby Jenks
    JJ Putz
    Kevin Gregg
    Aaron Heilman
    Scott Schoenewies

Catchers:

Jeff Clement
    Russell Martin
    Kelly Shoppach
    Taylor Teagarden
    Gerald Laird
    Victor Martinez
    Miguel Montero

1st Base

Ryan Howard
    Prince Fielder
    Derek Lee
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia

2nd Base

Robinson Cano
    Kelly Johnson
    Brian Roberts

Shortstop

Yunel Escobar
    Nick Punto
    JJ Hardy
    Julio Lugo
    Ronny Cedeno
    Jimmy Rollins

3rd Base

Garrett Atkins
    Hank Blalock
    Kevin Kouzmanoff
    Wilson Betemit

OFers

Jermaine Dye
    Matt Holliday
    Delmon Young
    Mike Cameron
    Magglio Ordonez
    Marcus Thames
    Nelson Cruz
    Michael Cuddyer
    Matt Kemp
    Melky Cabrera
    Jeremy Hermedia
    Felix Pie
    Rocco Baldelli
    Nick Swisher
    Coco Crisp
    Willy Tavares
    Jeff Francoeur
    Andruw Jones
    Aubrey Huff
    Alex Rios

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tis' The Offseason For Trading..

Where have Putz and Clement been credibly rumored?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I read something about Putz. I may have been Detroit.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

JJ Putz is on the Mets radar and Jeff Clement has been discussed by Boston.

JJ Putz

Jeff Clement
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 11-09-2008 at 07:42 AM.

I'm sure at least 27 teams have discussed how they like Jay Bruce. Does that mean he's likely to be traded?

I ask because it seems like the list of potential players should be expanded by about 1000 or so at least by those standards.

I fact both Cueto and Volquez must be considered on the block because Jocketty was openly quoted discussing them. His statement that they are untouchable could simply be an attempt to drive up the price.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm pretty sure Rocco Baldelli's a free agent.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm sure at least 27 teams have discussed how they like Jay Bruce. Does that mean he's likely to be traded?

I ask because it seems like the list of potential players should be expanded by about 1000 or so at least by those standards.

I fact both Cueto and Volquez must be considered on the block because Jocketty was openly quoted discussing them. His statement that they are untouchable could simply be an attempt to drive up the price.
    I'm not saying these players listed are available or not.. just that teams have interested in them and they could be potentially dealt. I compiled the list for us members to discuss who the Reds should target based on the needs of the team. Is there more names out there? Sure. This time of year for Reds fans are very wait and see. Topics like these give us fans something to fill that void.

Cueto for Y. Escobar.....

Good idea or bad one? Discuss.

Right now, the difference between AGon and Escobar is what, 10-15 runs (assuming AGon is healthy)? I guess it depends how you see Johnny Cueto's upside and how likely the farm is to produce another middle of the rotation arm...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Right now, the difference between AGon and Escobar is what, 10-15 runs (assuming AGon is healthy)? I guess it depends how you see Johnny Cueto's upside and how likely the farm is to produce another middle of the rotation arm...
    First assuming AGON is healthy is a huge assumption.

Second, assuming that he is healthy, Escobar is probably 10-15 runs better just offensively if Escobar does nothing special and Gonzo pushes his limits. Escobar could be another 10-15 runs better defensively over the course of a full season easily depending upon Gonzo's range (in '07, AG graded out as roughly neutral).

Also, there really isn't a dramatic difference in the service times of Cueto and Escobar.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-09-2008 at 03:16 PM.

First assuming AGON is healthy is a huge assumption.

Second, assuming that he is healthy, Escobar is probably 10-15 runs better just offensively if Escobar does nothing special and Gonzo pushes his limits. Escobar could be another 10-15 runs better defensively over the course of a full season easily depending upon Gonzo's range (in '07, AG graded out as roughly neutral).
    I was under the impression that Escobar also plays roughly neutral defense. As an older player, I can perhaps see AGon's defense regressing to the point where Escobar has 5 runs on him there.

Also, there really isn't a dramatic difference in the service times of Cueto and Escobar.
    Sure, but Escobar is much closer to his talent ceiling than Cueto. Cueto was only 21 years old last year, Escobar was 25. Right now, the gap in talent between Escobar and our second best option(s) at SS is greater than the difference in 2009 performance I expect from Cueto and his farmhand replacements. However, I don't see the Reds competing in 2009 without some other drastic trades (which would likely also require Cueto) and therefore I would hold on to Johnny. He isn't anywere near his ceiling and I think in 2010 and beyond he will be much more valuable than Escobar.
    All IMHO of course...

It's an interesting idea, but Escobar's glove isn't good enough for me to want to do the deal. The other reason I don't like is it leaves an additional rotation spot open. Now, if the Reds went out and signed Derek Lowe or something to accompany this trade, it might make a little bit more sense.

Escobar for Cueto? No. I'm not interested in trading Johnny Cueto.
    Escobar for Bailey+any prospect in the system? Now I'm interested.
    Go BLUE!!!

Escobar, entering his prime years, is grading out to be conservatively a +5 to +10 glove with a plus bat for a shortstop.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rocco Baldelli's a free agent.
    Either way I don't know why the Reds would even consider him.

Turn Off Ads?