Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR Haters?

NASCAR Haters?

I was just watching the local news and they had a story on the "fight" in Seattle over building a proposed Nascar track. There are of course pros and cons to the issue. Many protest it because of the pollution they say it will bring, as well as disturbing the peace, tranquility, and the quality of life. Others argue the economic impact and job creation, as well as the entertainment aspect (fans).

But what amazed me were the "on the street" interviews they showed, and the people's perception and stereotyping of Nascar and it's fans. Conversations peppered with terminology such as redneck, pot-bellied, toothless losers, and white trash.

If any other group or class of people were described and stereotyped in that way there would be outrage.

I haven't followed Nascar in over 30 years. I was a huge Petty fan, and my brother (who is still an avid fan, and still has all his teeth) was a David Pearson fan. Some of the above may have been true then, since it's origins are from the south, and that was where a majority of the races/tracks were located. But it's now become the fastest growing sport in the US, and has really expanded/broadened it's fan base.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NASCAR Haters?

I don't mean to get into a whole philosophical debate here, but you are right, white trash is one of those phrases that doesn't hold the same heft as other racially motivated terms, even though it's just as bad. Being that this is a family board I won't say those names, but we all know them. Its sad that such stereotyping still exists, but I suspect it will be a long while before all such commentary is erased from the lexicon of the average American.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I forgot to post a link to the story I found on this debate....

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....1c8ab5d4.html

I can understand and sympathize with some of the people of the regions concerns. It's just the stereotypical views that bother me.

We built a new airport outside of town about 5 years ago. A "movement" was started to take the old airport strip and convert it into a drag strip. It was shelved because a lot of people in the immediate area were concerned about the noise and also the "type" of people it would attract. Now I completely understood the noise concern; but what "type" of people were they concerned about? That bothered me. Who, or what type of people do they think race fans are?

If it was CART or Indy style, then that would be OK, because those types of fans are more sophisticated?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-01-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Peanut Gallery. Cuz I gotta lot to say on this issue, and it ain't gonna be pretty. So if this stays open, I'm a-talkin'.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Peanut Gallery. Cuz I gotta lot to say on this issue, and it ain't gonna be pretty. So if this stays open, I'm a-talkin'.
    There is nothing political (Dem/Repub) or religious to this discussion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There is nothing political (Dem/Repub) or religious to this discussion IMO.
    Okay.

But saying "white trash" has the same power as saying "n----r" is just f-in stupid.

There. Now it's political.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 03-01-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Okay.

But saying "white trash" has the same power as saying "n----r" is just f-in stupid.

There. Now it's political.
    No. It's still not. But obviously you want it to be.

I'm talking about stereotypes, and how some seem to be more acceptable then others. And it can be done without having any type of political connotation/partisanship.

Have you read where New York City is set to ban a racist term that we can only describe as the "N-word"?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...rk_set_to.html

Why just that one word? So are all the other types of slurs/derogatory terms then acceptable?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-01-2007 at 08:48 PM.

No. It's still not. But obviously you want it to be.

It's talking about stereotypes, and how some seem to be more acceptable then others.

Have you read where New York City is set to ban a racist term that we can only describe as the "N-word"?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...rk_set_to.html

Why just that one word? So are all the other types of slurs/derogatory terms then acceptable?
    White trash is a worldview, not a race. And yes, all racist epithets are equally unacceptable. But calling someone white trash isn't racism. Period.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 03-01-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Edit: misread, ignore

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

White trash is worldview, not a race. And yes, all racist epithets are equally unacceptable. But calling someone white trash isn't racism. Period.
    First off FC. Where did I say it was racism? I didn't. Especially since some of the people using the term, in the TV interview, were white.

But it is a derogatory slur/stereotype against a segment and particular region of this country (the South). Using derogatory language to describe homosexuals is not racism, yet it is still wrong and inappropriate.

First off FC. Where did I say it was racism? I didn't. Especially since some of the people using the term, in the TV interview, were white.

But it is a derogatory slur/stereotype against a segment and particular region of this country (the South). Using derogatory language to describe homosexuals is not racism, yet it is still wrong and inappropriate.
    Homosexuality = not a choice

Willfully ignorant and defiantly hateful = choice

I'm not too worried about white people, especially men, getting picked on, however unwarranted.

Our uninterrupted reign of terror must end some day
    School's out. What did you expect?

Homosexuality = not a choice

Willfully ignorant and defiantly hateful = choice
    Choice/non-choice.... that is YOUR opinion.

That is not the issue FCB; but you're doing your best to try and turn this thread political and get it shut down. And I'm sure you'll succeed.

It's about hateful stereotypes/language. So it's perfectly OK to insult and offend certain regions and/or segments of our society/country; but it's off limits in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm not too worried about white people, especially men, getting picked on, however unwarranted.

Our uninterrupted reign of terror must end some day
    Do you wake up everyday with guilt, and lamenting the fact you were born Caucasian?

Thats why me and bunch of my friends...will not call ourselves white anymore.

We call ourselves crackers/wheat thins. It's just one of those things.

White trash doesn't equal racist. It's just a term used to view low-end white living. Redneck/Hick/White trash to me have the same barring as if I were to call you ignorant, psuedo intelligent or insipid.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm worried about all unjustified labels.

And that's all GAC was talking about in his first post. There is no excuse for generalized stereotyping.

It's possible that we all have done it, doesn't make it more justified or right.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?