Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox plan to convert Masterson into reliever after Triple-A stint

Re: Red Sox plan to convert Masterson into reliever after Triple-A stint

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    What a waste of this kid to put him in the bullpen, while he could have spent the rest of this year in Cincy winning ballgames as starter.
    yeah, there were some that wanted Volquez and Cueto to be put in the pen too. How bad of an idea would that have been?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If we had Willie Mo Pena around to trade for him, I'd say let's do it.
    They are just not named Willie Mo, but there are some Willie Mo's on this team. check the OBP .....under Reds. ......

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    yeah, there were some that wanted Volquez and Cueto to be put in the pen too. How bad of an idea would that have been?
    I don't like the idea, I want Masterson here to go with Cueto and Volquez, there are no guarantees in pitching, what you have this year, may not be what you have next year in guys that pitch. See Harang, See Arroyo See Bailey See Danny Graves
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-08-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Let's put ourselves in the Red Sox shoes.. if we were contending, would we trade Ceuto for starting pitcher due about 25 million over the next 2 years who has been very inconsistent (Arroyo) and a half year rental of a ho-hum reliever (Affedlt) plus a rental of a defensively challenged OF (Dunn/Jr) (especially when you already have highly paid and productive DH and LF ?)
    I don't think there's a single person on this board that would advocate a trade like that.

Sure Walt has work to do, but you can't expect him to pull off a blantant steal like that.
    Get real, there is much more than Arroyo in this world. Jocketty could come up with something to make it work with Boston. Can't you do better than that REDREAD? your boring me. I just tossed that crap out there. I certainly would expect greater things from Jocketty, stop living in the past, and get with the "Can Do Present"

SF - Question for you - if the BoSox asked for Burton, Maloney, Roenicke, Cumberland and Dunn would you do it?

I think it's difficult to indict Jocketty over Masterson.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I don't see them throwing away a Masterson for any of the Reds' relievers and Cordero has a no-trade clause for this year.

As I see it, the Masterson conversion isn't a move of desperation. They simply have starting depth. Making Masterson a reliever is simply using their resources as needed.

Cordero would probably waive that no trade if he had a shot at a ring. That might not be a bad idea to trade Cordero for that kid and maybe more in return. Masterson is not a proven starter in their eyes just yet, and truthfully he can't be in ours either just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    SF - Question for you - if the BoSox asked for Burton, Maloney, Roenicke, Cumberland and Dunn would you do it?
    For who ? One unproven young pitcher named Masteron with a small sample of a good season ? NO

Question for you, what do you think the Reds are going to get for either Dunn, Griffey or Affeldt?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it's difficult to indict Jocketty over Masterson.
    Well then Jojo, then don't do that. Listen to your own advice. projection and transference does not become you jojo.

projection and transference

psychology unconscious transfer of feeling: the unconscious ascription of a personal thought, feeling, or impulse, especially one considered undesirable, to somebody else

psychology redirection of feeling: in psychoanalysis or other psychotherapy, the process in which somebody unconsciously redirects feelings about something onto a new object, often the analyst or therapist.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Get real, there is much more than Arroyo in this world. Jocketty could come up with something to make it work with Boston. Can't you do better than that REDREAD? your boring me. I just tossed that crap out there. I certainly would expect greater things from Jocketty, stop living in the past, and get with the "Can Do Present"
    I give up.. What do we have that Boston would want badly enough to give up Masterson for that we as Reds fans don't consider "untouchable"?

Not directed at you.. I am guilty of this too. As fans, we always are hoping to package the excess unwanted stuff for something good. Rarely does that happen. At the time of the Wily Mo trade for example, there was a vocal opposition to the trade.. In other words, the trade has to look good to the opposing GM for it to happen.

As someone else said, maybe Burton would do the trick.. But does that really advance the Reds to trade Burton for Masterson? I'd say no. Sure, it helps Boston a lot in the short term, but I'm not so sure it helps the Reds longterm.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Question for you, what do you think the Reds are going to get for either Dunn, Griffey or Affeldt?

Not a whole lot.

Jr is untradable. We need to accept that. Of the teams that Jr will accept a trade to, none want him.

Dunn is almost in the same catagory. Limited appeal due to his warts (defense, batting average, perceived lack of "passion") and contract status. Limited no trade contract also makes it difficult. Not seen as the impact bat that could put someone over the top..

Affedlt.. What's the going rate for average middle relievers at the deadline now? We might be able to pull off another trade like Mercker-Belisle in 2003.. Trade for a prospect who was formerly highly touted but has either been hurt or lost his luster.. Affeldt is useful, but his lack of control and inablity to pitch multiple innings effectively kind of limits his marketablity. Basically, when you put him in a tight game, you have to have someone else warming up just in case he walks the bases loaded.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I give up.. What do we have that Boston would want badly enough to give up Masterson for that we as Reds fans don't consider "untouchable"?

Not directed at you.. I am guilty of this too. As fans, we always are hoping to package the excess unwanted stuff for something good. Rarely does that happen. At the time of the Wily Mo trade for example, there was a vocal opposition to the trade.. In other words, the trade has to look good to the opposing GM for it to happen.

As someone else said, maybe Burton would do the trick.. But does that really advance the Reds to trade Burton for Masterson? I'd say no. Sure, it helps Boston a lot in the short term, but I'm not so sure it helps the Reds longterm.
    Send them a compliment a Arroyo, Affeldt and one of your DH's in the form of a Griffey or Dunn (big pappi and Manny occasionally have problems) that are going to be heading off to greener pastures and winning organizations next year anyway. Of course I would not pretend to have your negotiating skills, or eye for talent, I know that you can make a better arrangements here than I could.
    REDREAD, I give up too, read the fine print and disclaimer. You're too quick to cherry pick selectively for me. That is why I responded that way to you, and have recently, you do that frequently, cherry pick, some line or two, and blow off the rest. We all do. but sometimes that doesn't cover it.

You can do better than this. Bait and switch. Pena is the PAST lets get into the present WAYNE is no longer the GM, Walt is. You tell me what we have, that Boston might want.

Not a whole lot.
    That is what I believe. I agree. And a bit of something is a lot better than a whole lof of nothing.

Look, I can't buy it and sell it too at the same time.

It was an article, it was a suggestion, and it is not a bad suggestion, what a Boston would, could or wouldn't I nor anyone on this board has any idea. To arbitrarily and capriciously throw out compulsive remarks to the contrary suggesting Boston this or that is silly.

At best it is an indication of possibilities out there, no more, no less.

Turn Off Ads?