Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut binge drinking by letting teens drink?

Cut binge drinking by letting teens drink?

With parental supervision of course:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/27...ef=mpstoryview

This is the way my family handled it with us as kids. Social drinking with the family was always acceptable so that drinking alcohol wasn't a big deal for us when we went away to college.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cut binge drinking by letting teens drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    With parental supervision of course:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/27...ef=mpstoryview

This is the way my family handled it with us as kids. Social drinking with the family was always acceptable so that drinking alcohol wasn't a big deal for us when we went away to college.
    As with a lot of things socially, it depends on the family and the kid and if the family has more than 1 kid, there will be different ways on how alcohol and it's consumpion is viewed. In my family we even breakdown the sides by alcohol - Mom's family are beer drinkers and Dad's family likes the hard liquor. My Mom liked rum and coke and would let me have a sip when I was little. During the holidays we would given a very small glass of Mogan David wine to drink. As a teenager during family functions you could drink pretty much anything but it had to be with the family around - no secretive drinking.

One of my uncles had a great take on drinking - he said you need to get wasted, then how you feel when you wake up the next morning will determine how you view drinking. And he was right with me. Got wasted for the first time when I was 16 in SE KY - went with my older cousin and my younger sister to a house party. But before that we ate pizza, then went across the county line (Leslie County was/is dry) to get beer and wine. I had 2 and a half beers and a half of glass of wine before the night was over. We returned to my cousin's house and my little sis (who was almost 13) passed out on the couch. Me and my cousin went to my uncle's "poutin' house" which was just a shed with a queen bed to go to sleep. But before I passed out I puked my guts in the lawn. The next morning I had an incredible hangover but my little sis was not so bad. Now I'll have a drink once in a while - on the other hand my little sis could drink most under the table... :

Drinking was not encouraged but it was excepted in my family - I always felt (and still do) as an outsider at family functions. But at least I'm wanted... as a designated driver!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    As with a lot of things socially, it depends on the family and the kid and if the family has more than 1 kid, there will be different ways on how alcohol and it's consumpion is viewed. In my family we even breakdown the sides by alcohol - Mom's family are beer drinkers and Dad's family likes the hard liquor. My Mom liked rum and coke and would let me have a sip when I was little. During the holidays we would given a very small glass of Mogan David wine to drink. As a teenager during family functions you could drink pretty much anything but it had to be with the family around - no secretive drinking.

One of my uncles had a great take on drinking - he said you need to get wasted, then how you feel when you wake up the next morning will determine how you view drinking. And he was right with me. Got wasted for the first time when I was 16 in SE KY - went with my older cousin and my younger sister to a house party. But before that we ate pizza, then went across the county line (Leslie County was/is dry) to get beer and wine. I had 2 and a half beers and a half of glass of wine before the night was over. We returned to my cousin's house and my little sis (who was almost 13) passed out on the couch. Me and my cousin went to my uncle's "poutin' house" which was just a shed with a queen bed to go to sleep. But before I passed out I puked my guts in the lawn. The next morning I had an incredible hangover but my little sis was not so bad. Now I'll have a drink once in a while - on the other hand my little sis could drink most under the table... :

Drinking was not encouraged but it was excepted in my family - I always felt (and still do) as an outsider at family functions. But at least I'm wanted... as a designated driver!

I would be willing to bet that you went to Cumberland in Harlan County to get your beer and wine. Cumberland used be about the only town in SE KY that was wet. I am orginally from there,hence my username on RZ.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My kid's high school PTA got some grant money a couple of years ago for this issue. They used it to produce a very elaborate video designed to discourage parentally-supervised drinking parties.

I didn't have a strong opinion on that issue before seeing the video, but the video certainly made it clear that this particular school's community is very much opposed to the practice.
    /r/reds

My parents sure didn't encourage my young drinking ways, but I certainly learned.
    When I was five, I chugged two of my uncles beers when he had his back turned. I returned the favor by urinating in his shoes.
    I literally remember the rest of the night - for the entire night, it felt like my head was wrapped in a hot towel three sizes too small for my head, and that the ceiling was being flown away then bought back down to me every 10 seconds.
    To top it off, I guess I was a pretty grumpy little drunk.
    I've not had a drink of alcohol or beer since then.

My cousins in Germany think our drinking laws are ridiculous. Their theory (at least my cousin's- can't speak for the guvmint over there) is that by having a more relaxed attitude about alcohol, you make it possible for kids to be introduced responsibly to it. Additionally, it's hella hard to get a driver's license in Germany and I believe the age is even higher.

Anyway, this always comes up when we discuss drunk driving. Inevitably, the conversation ends with a discussion of getting kids to understand and not be so enamored with alcohol before they drive.

Now, as I said, it's a theory. When I was going to school in Hamburg I saw plenty, I mean PLENTY of binge drinking among the kids.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I don't believe in supervised drinking parties for minors. I do believe in serving your children moderate amounts of alcohol with dinner and family gatherings. My parents did this and it did take a lot of the mystique out of drinking for me.

Everybody's different though.
    Stick to your guns.

For a Level Playing Field

IMO... each set of parents (or parent) should decide what is best for their child in reagrd to alcoholic beverages. The law states that you must be 21 to drink. If a parent allows drinking, then that parent can be arrested.

Binge-drinking? Has happened for many-many years. It is definitely not a good thing. Will there ever be a solution for it that works for all? Nope. So when someone or something tries to tell all that they have the solution, I move on and realize that it will never happen.

If you are old to vote and be in the military, then you should be old enough to have a beer. That, however, is another conversation and perhaps not an acceptable conversation for this forum.

Drinking laws vary state to state.

As I understand it, a parent can by an alcoholic beverage for their child in a restaurant. The server cannot actually "serve" the child, but can give the drink to the parent, who would then give the drink to the child. Age doesn't even factor into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Drinking laws vary state to state.

As I understand it, a parent can by an alcoholic beverage for their child in a restaurant. The server cannot actually "serve" the child, but can give the drink to the parent, who would then give the drink to the child. Age doesn't even factor into it.
    As far as I know, there are four instances when underage consumption is legal in Ohio:

1) Alcohol that is served by the parents, as you mentioned.
    2) Alcohol that is served by a spouse of legal age to an underage husband/wife.
    3) Religious purposes such as communion
    4) Doctors orders, such as treatment for a kidney stone
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

http://www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.g...tateProfie.asp

this site shows state by state how the laws vary

Louisiana and some other states has a "private residence" exemption for consumption and possession, but not for furnishing.
    Last edited by SandyD; 09-29-2007 at 03:01 PM.

I would like to see more details on this so-called study that suggests allowing your kids to drink, even small amounts and under supervision, will somehow prevent or dissuade them from binge drinking. There is obviously already plenty of underage alcohol consumption going on in this country. More then enough. Has it helped to steer kids away from binge drinking that currently exists? Could it also help to promote it? And I really get tired of this line of reasoning, especially coming from a psychologist, who state "kids are gonna drink no matter what", so lets set them an example and show them how to do it with responsibility.

They also smoke. We gonna allow them to do that too; but only show them how to do it responsibly?

Young people binge drink probably for two very valid and obvious reasons - immaturity and lack of exposure to, and inexperience with alcohol. But I don't think encouraging or helping your 15-16 child to gain that experience, by allowing them to partake of it under your supervision, is being a responsible parent.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-29-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    My kid's high school PTA got some grant money a couple of years ago for this issue. They used it to produce a very elaborate video designed to discourage parentally-supervised drinking parties.

I didn't have a strong opinion on that issue before seeing the video, but the video certainly made it clear that this particular school's community is very much opposed to the practice.
    Maybe I'm not reading the article correctly, but the girl in the story was not drinking at parent sponsored parties - but at family functions/social events. I'm totally against and so are my parents of these "parties".:thumbdown
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would be willing to bet that you went to Cumberland in Harlan County to get your beer and wine. Cumberland used be about the only town in SE KY that was wet. I am orginally from there,hence my username on RZ.
    Nope... just across the line into Perry County (Hazard-county seat). (I don't know if Perry County is still wet today).

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I would like to see more details on this so-called study that suggests allowing your kids to drink, even small amounts and under supervision, will somehow prevent or dissuade them from binge drinking. There is obviously already plenty of underage alcohol consumption going on in this country. More then enough. Has it helped to steer kids away from binge drinking that currently exists? Could it also help to promote it? And I really get tired of this line of reasoning, especially coming from a psychologist, who state "kids are gonna drink no matter what", so lets set them an example and show them how to do it with responsibility.

They also smoke. We gonna allow them to do that too; but only show them how to do it responsibly?

Young people binge drink probably for two very valid and obvious reasons - immaturity and lack of exposure to, and inexperience with alcohol. But I don't think encouraging or helping your 15-16 child to gain that experience, by allowing them to partake of it under your supervision, is being a responsible parent.
    Watch it GAC... are you calling my parents irresponsible???

Turn Off Ads?