Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Okay, I'm not sure how this turned into a Leake vs Bailey debate...but regardless, I want BOTH in my rotation. Period. The only 2 starters that I have doubts about are Bronson due to age and recent performance (season) and Chapman due to lack of starting experience and inning workload. Due to contract issues...that means Chapman is the odd man out for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How is inning workload as a concern a reason to keep him out of the rotation? He's still pitching innings in AAA. If you're truly worried about his workload starting him in the majors as a starter and then moving him to the pen when he approaches his innings wall makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    How is inning workload as a concern a reason to keep him out of the rotation? He's still pitching innings in AAA. If you're truly worried about his workload starting him in the majors as a starter and then moving him to the pen when he approaches his innings wall makes a lot of sense.
    Who takes over for him when he needs to go to the pen?

Homer Bailey won't be an option. He'll have been (if he's still on the team) in the bullpen for several months and won't have built the stamina and arm strength required to start.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If Homer Bailey ends up toiling in the bullpen this season to make room for Arroyo and/or Chapman, then I'm a lot less enthused about this season.

Seems an awful lot like when they tried to force feed Volquez to us as an "ace" by starting him Game 1 in the playoffs, and then Opening Day of all things. It's like they have to prove to the world that their investment, whether it be money (Chapman and Arroyo) or players given up (Hamilton for EV), was a good one.

I wish they'd just put the best players in the optimal spots for them to succeed and create wins for the team. But, whatever. They'll do what they're gonna do, they've yet to call me for advice, so, ya know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Sorry, I shouldn't have phrased it like that. I was referring to him not having been stretched out to full starters innings yet. I wasn't talking about his yearly innings total. My bad.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Homer had a 4.43 ERA and threw 132 innings.

Leake had a 3.86 ERA and threw 167 innings.

I don't find the difference meaningless.
    Taking those same number of innings:

FIP
    Bailey: 4.06
    Leake: 4.21

xFIP
    Bailey: 3.77
    Leake: 3.65

tERA
    Bailey: 4.75
    Leake: 4.85

SIERA
    Bailey: 3.78
    Leake: 3.74

Basically, every defensive independent measure has them pretty close. To me, ERA is a pretty noisy measure.

The point is, I think Bailey and Leake should be in the rotation.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I used ERA+ because its more of a baseline comparison tool. Its not the best but it sure isn't the worst.
    I think ERA has a lot of noise in it.

When you start to say Player X's peripherals say they should be better your getting into a dangerous game.
    Only if you're trying to quantify it to ERA. I don't.

In Bailey's case people have been claiming that he has arrived or next year is his year for a number of years now. I have a feeling your going to hear the same thing after this season and maybe even after the next.
    Arguing what "people" say is tilting at windmills.

I say, Bailey and Leake have similar pitching skill and both should be in the rotation.

I'll stick to the original topic - put Bailey in the rotation.

Hope Bailey makes the most of this opportunity. I want nothing but the best for him, but its time to cash in on the years of apprenticeship and experience garnered to date and turn in 180 innings of sub 4.00 ERA.

Bump.

Just getting a jump on the bumping.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

After that inning, I have a few ideas

Not a pretty start for the man they call Homer. I'm pulling for him to succeed big time though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not the best game, but if he gets 4 more outs without another run, it isn't exactly a bad one either.

He was awful in the first. He showed some mental fortitude by bouncing back. I think the old Homer doesn't get out of about the 2nd inning. Plenty of room to improve, but let's not give up yet.

Looked like a pretty typical Homer Bailey start to me. So often with the one bad inning, just happened to be the first tonight.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?