Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ode to the bad player

Re: Ode to the bad player

No love for Willy Taveras or Corey Patterson?

Andy Abad mad the Reds OD Roster one year and I had no idea who he was. I guess you have to get MLB time to be considered bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    God bless him, I know that he was an effective reliever for many years, but the late Joe Hoerner was beyond awful in '77.
    I thought of him too. He was a good pitcher with the Cardinals and Royals. But the short time he was a Red, he was awful.

Who was the pitcher the Reds got for Sean Casey? He was as bad as bad can be. I'm actually glad I can't remember his name now.

Not seen Mario Mendoza's name mentioned. You know, the player named for the Mendoza line.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Eddy Rodriguez of the Padres (formerly a Reds farmhand)
    Keith Kessinger seemed like he had no business playing in MLB (although his sip of coffee turned out fairly well)
    Even more so than Kessinger was Brian Koelling, who was called up because JimBo liked to please fans by putting local products on the field. Speaking of which, why else do you think we saw Pete Rose, Jr., Stephen Larkin, Mike Bell, Tim Belk, et al?
    I could probably think of a ton of LOOGYs (Dan Serafini comes to mind).
    I'm tempted to include post-surgery guys like Seth Etherton, Jeff Austin, Phil Dumatrait, and others.
    There are some washed-up players who deserve mention e.g. Juan Castro and Paul Wilson.
    Chris Booker always looked to me like he had never been on a baseball field before.

The 1993 team alone had a plethora of bad players due to injuries... 1989 as well.

Luis Quinones
    Todd Benzinger (Ted Williams said he was going to be great when he saw him play for Boston)
    Van Snider (This is what they got for Jeff Montgomery?)
    Scotti Madison (Dolly could have hit better)
    JeffRichardson (Got the team Billy Hatcher though from PITT)
    Rolando Roomes (I liked him and thought he would hit, but he made Wily Mo Pena look like Eddie Yost)
    Scott Scudder (Was he really that good in the minors?)

Mike Anderson (Looked great in Double A but was a batting tee, especially for Mark Whitten and his 4 homer game)
    Greg Tubbs (Looked like Kirby Puckett...in the fact that he looked like a bowling ball with hands)
    Milt Hill
    Chris Bushing (He threw hard......real hard but straight. He disappointed me. Reds Report Monthly magazine told me he was a prospect!)
    Cesar Hernandez ( I will never forget that misplayed fly ball that started the Reds on 7 game losing streak and Tony Perez demise as a manager)
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 12-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This site came up with nice list, IMO. Even some 19th century guys.

http://jimjividen.blogspot.com/2009/...yers-ever.html

Plus some guys I remember, like Jesus Alou, Ken Reitz, Craig Paquette, Dan Meyer and Doug Flynn. I don't remember them being that bad, but apparently they were.

Kevin Jarvis pitched terribly for 10 teams in 12 years, starting with our REDs.
    Lifetime 6.03 ERA. WAR -5.4.
    Dude was bad.
    I don't think anyone on that list starting with Alou qualify as bad. Alou had a couple of very nice seasons with Houston http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...alouje01.shtml
    Reitz was a wizard with the glove at 3B, just a below average, but not awful hitter http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eitzke01.shtml
    Meyer had two above average seasons with the expansion Mariners http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eyerda01.shtml
    Paquette probably qualifies, although he did put together one decent platoon type season. Flynn surprised me as getting 10 seasons with that bat, and I think he was only an average glove man. Those two are probably justifialby on a bad list. Hard to put Flynn on there since he brings fond memories of a capable backup for the BRM championship years.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Bad.. bad... bad.

Guys like Scotty Madison

Jesus Alou played 16 years in MLB

SIXTEEN YEARS

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't think anyone on that list starting with Alou qualify as bad. Alou had a couple of very nice seasons with Houston
    The thing is, Alou had a career WAR of negative, whch means he carved out a 16 year career of being less than a replacement level player.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Who was the pitcher the Reds got for Sean Casey? He was as bad as bad can be. I'm actually glad I can't remember his name now.
    Dave Williams. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The thing is, Alou had a career WAR of negative, whch means he carved out a 16 year career of being less than a replacement level player.
    The thing is that he played 16 years and WAR is math

Donnie Sadler
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Infielder Roger Metzger would get my vote, of course this may not be fair as he had parts of 4 fingers cut off in an off the field accident late in his career and he tried to come back and play nonetheless

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...etzgro01.shtml

News account of his injury:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5632,7009062

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd just like to point out that Roger Metzger and Jesus Alou were teammates with the Houston Astros.

Coincidence? I think not.
    sorry we're boring

Alex Trevino was my first thought but while reading the thread another name came to mind and I didn't see him mentioned yet.

Kelly Parris!

The worst player that I ever remember watching play has to be Reds edition Mike Stanton.

What a batting tee.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The thing is that he played 16 years and WAR is math
    I thought WAR was hell?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

One player I doubt many of us saw play but was pretty bad was our very own George Lee "Sparky" Anderson. Stats wise his fielding wasn't terrible but hitting wise he was pretty bad.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?