Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odell Thurman denied reinstatement

Re: Odell Thurman denied reinstatement

Maybe Goodell could just start kicking guys out of the league that he doesn't personally care for. Say, he doesn't like their hair cut, they go play in Canada. It looks like that's the direction the NFL is heading.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Look at all the stuff Chris Henry did and look at what Thurman did.
    Chris Henry is going to miss a total of 10 games (2 last season and 8 this season) and Thurman is going to miss 2 seasons.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Look at all the stuff Chris Henry did and look at what Thurman did.
    Chris Henry is going to miss a total of 10 games (2 last season and 8 this season) and Thurman is going to miss 2 seasons.
    I think after Henry's suspension, he has to re-apply as well....Goodell may jerk that decision around for 6 weeks and then decide against letting him come back...

Who knows

I really hope Thurman files suit against the NFL. Goodell is nothing but a grandstanding fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I think after Henry's suspension, he has to re-apply as well....Goodell may jerk that decision around for 6 weeks and then decide against letting him come back...

Who knows
    No, he doesn't have to re-apply.

This makes no sense...

Goodell could go from being applauded for his "tough stance" to being derided for blatantly unfair treatment of players very quickly.

Ok, so let's say Odell has done everything he has been asked to do and there isn't anything else out there that we don't know about. How does he go about filing a grievance? How does that whole thing work, is there any chance at all the decision would change?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

For a Level Playing Field

If Odell has stayed clean, it seems as though the NFL has a Kennesaw Mountain Landis running the show. Iron fist.

Not sure and I am a huge Bengals fan. However, I have a hard time feeling sorrow for Odell. I think my fav team needs him in the middle of the defense. But he (and only he) made the bed he now lies in. I believe in 2nd chances... but when you start asking for 3rd/4th chances, then you have taken it to a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    If Odell has stayed clean, it seems as though the NFL has a Kennesaw Mountain Landis running the show. Iron fist.

Not sure and I am a huge Bengals fan. However, I have a hard time feeling sorrow for Odell. I think my fav team needs him in the middle of the defense. But he (and only he) made the bed he now lies in. I believe in 2nd chances... but when you start asking for 3rd/4th chances, then you have taken it to a different level.
    Exactly the way I feel. Didn't he get a DUI while under his last suspension? And people are crying about him not being reinstated, and blaming Goddell?? Please, if you have a gripe, call Odell, don't blame the commish. He's trying to clean up the sport.

Odell has served his time, though, that's the point. He spent four months in an alcohol rehab center and cleaned himself up. What else is he supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Odell has served his time, though, that's the point. He spent four months in an alcohol rehab center and cleaned himself up. What else is he supposed to do?
    He should have got two DUIs like Jared Allen, then he would of had his suspension reduced.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Exactly the way I feel. Didn't he get a DUI while under his last suspension? And people are crying about him not being reinstated, and blaming Goddell?? Please, if you have a gripe, call Odell, don't blame the commish. He's trying to clean up the sport.
    He did everything that the NFL told him to do, and still wasn't reinstated, that is the gripe with Goddell. I think everybody understands what Odell did wrong, and a lot of us were very bitter about it, but enough is enough, give him a chance to prove he has turned his live around. I like what one of his teammates said on Bengals.com. He needs to be with the team where they view him as a son, brother, and friend... Compare his offenses to Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson and tell me why he deserves more punishment than they have gotten so far... Its like being told by your parents to do something then after you complete the task you are punished like you never completed the task in the first place. Its hypocritical actions like that we protest.

After all, what better publicity can the NFL get than showing that a program to clean up the NFL and helping players is a success. Instead it makes it look like the NFL doesn't even trust its on policies of rehabilitation.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    He should have got two DUIs like Jared Allen, then he would of had his suspension reduced.

Or taken steroids
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    He did everything that the NFL told him to do,
    I see people making that assumption, but does anybody really know if its true? Granted, we have not heard of any violations, but perhaps he failed/missed a test (or tests) the NFL tried to administer, but they kept it quiet for privacy reasons.

If the NFL told him what he had to do to be reinstated, and he failed to live up to it (which seems just as likely as the more popular belief that he did everything he needed to do), then he probably deserves this.

And I'm not convinced the NFL is obligated to release all details of what he did/did not do. As a fan, I'd like to know whe reinstatement was denied and what, if anything, Thurman failed to do, as that would make this decision easier to accept, but perhaps Odell wanted it kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    He did everything that the NFL told him to do, and still wasn't reinstated, that is the gripe with Goddell. I think everybody understands what Odell did wrong, and a lot of us were very bitter about it, but enough is enough, give him a chance to prove he has turned his live around. I like what one of his teammates said on Bengals.com. He needs to be with the team where they view him as a son, brother, and friend... Compare his offenses to Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson and tell me why he deserves more punishment than they have gotten so far... Its like being told by your parents to do something then after you complete the task you are punished like you never completed the task in the first place. Its hypocritical actions like that we protest.

After all, what better publicity can the NFL get than showing that a program to clean up the NFL and helping players is a success. Instead it makes it look like the NFL doesn't even trust its on policies of rehabilitation.

Wasn't Odell with his teammates when he commited his past transgressions? Maybe Goodell feels he's doing Odell a favor. I recently read there was a problem this summer with an all night party, guns, and Odell threatening someone? And how do we all know Odell's done everything the commish asked him to do?

Turn Off Ads?