Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Rule 5 Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=675

Rumors that the Rays will take Cleveland OF Brian Barton with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft Thursday.
    Ever since he was left unprotected it has seemed that someone was going to take him, just a matter of how long it would take until someone did take him. He is an interesting guy to take a chance on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=677

Rays backing off from Barton. Other rumors: Royals OF Chris Lubanski to the Marlins; the Josh Hamilton success story lending some hope to fallen Florida first-rounder and RHP Jeff Allison being taken by someone.

BP's Bryan Smith comes through with his promised piece about more Rule 5 candidates.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=6972

The piece focuses more on pitchers, and mentions the Reds' Juan Rojas (although I really don't think the guy has more than a miniscule chance to stick on a big-league team having pitched only a couple years and none above High-A). Sadly, it's a subscription article.

I'd take a shot on Allison. If the Reds do upgrade the rotation before the season starts, it may be pretty easy to hide him in mop up for the season.

The Reds have succeeded with Hamilton, so I could see Allison seeing it as a great opportunity.

Lubanski is another guy I'd give a shot if he fell to us. He's still only 22 with decent success in AA. Willing to take a walk. As far as I know he can handle centre, and certainly is more of an athlete than anything. Plenty of upside, so he'd be my first choice.

He struggled big time in the PCL, but as I said he's only 22. Lots of time to grow into a hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'd take a shot on Allison. If the Reds do upgrade the rotation before the season starts, it may be pretty easy to hide him in mop up for the season.

The Reds have succeeded with Hamilton, so I could see Allison seeing it as a great opportunity.

Lubanski is another guy I'd give a shot if he fell to us. He's still only 22 with decent success in AA. Willing to take a walk. As far as I know he can handle centre, and certainly is more of an athlete than anything. Plenty of upside, so he'd be my first choice.

He struggled big time in the PCL, but as I said he's only 22. Lots of time to grow into a hitter.
    I struggle to figure out exactly how much credit the Reds deserve for the salvaging of Hamilton's career beyond taking the chance in the first place. So that colors what I'm about to say:

There is no reason to think lightning will strike twice with regards to Jeff Allison. The Reds do not have any particular organizational strength in rescuing fallen prospects (indeed, if it's even possible to really measure such a thing).

I don't know that I'm willing to spend a 25-man spot on a guy who won't necessarily be able to consistently contribute positively to the team's chances of success. My opinion has changed about this- part of it reflects the reality of the Castellini/Baker win-now worldview.

So, my point: Allison's the kind of chance a non-contender takes. The public perception is that Rule 5 choices are "risk-free", but there is only so much in the way of organizational resources and opportunity to evaluate talent. There are only so many spots- and you have to use them to maximize present and future value at all times.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Trent -

Krivsky said they have "3 or 4" guys they've identified to take in the Rule 5 draft. They pick 7th, but the teams to pick ahead of them must have a spot on the 40-man. That's why they dropped Cantu. It's unlikely all of those "3 or 4" would be gone by the Reds' turn.

The most likely Reds player to be taken would be RHP Carlos Guevara

What time is Rule5 Draft tomorrow and how soon will it be posted or is it live some where for FREE?

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    What time is Rule5 Draft tomorrow and how soon will it be posted or is it live some where for FREE?
    9:00 AM.

Silly question here.

Has any Club ever made it into post season play while carrying a Rule 5 guy on their 25 man roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Silly question here.

Has any Club ever made it into post season play while carrying a Rule 5 guy on their 25 man roster?
    Yes. From WikiPedia, of all places:

"I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Anyone know of a live feed for the Rule 5 draft? And does the ML portion precede the Minor League portion? (by "live feed" I don't mean a broadcast, but maybe a news feed of sorts).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Anyone know of a live feed for the Rule 5 draft? And does the ML portion precede the Minor League portion? (by "live feed" I don't mean a broadcast, but maybe a news feed of sorts).
    I've been looking everywhere for some type of live feed...found nothing so far.

This is good proof that we are obsessed with baseball.....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

9:00 central, 10:00 eastern

Quote Originally Posted by Redny View Post
    9:00 central, 10:00 eastern
    Oops....that explains why it's not on yet. Thanks!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...p=680#more-680
    Rule 5 Eve Rundown

Posted Dec. 6, 2007 1:33 am by Chris Kline
    Filed under: Winter Meetings
    NASHVILLE–Word on the street in Music City in advance of Thursday’s Rule 5 draft came fast and furious late Wednesday night.

According to several sources, the Padres are planning on moving up to Tampa Bay’s No. 1 spot to take Indians outfielder Brian Barton.

Barton is a different breed of player–there is little question about that. After transferring from Loyola-Marymount to Miami to pursue baseball and an aerospace engineering degree, Barton climbed the ranks of Cleveland’s system, ranking as high as the No. 5 prospect in the system heading into the 2007 season.

Barton injured his right knee coming out of the batter’s box in 2006, and after playing through the injury,* he required surgery this offseason. But Barton, who had the surgery in Miami while finishing up his degree, is perhaps even more eccentric than even we at Baseball America knew. The 25-year-old outfielder apparently traveled all season with a pet turtle (name unavailable).

Tigers’ righthander Randor Bierd is expected to go with the next pick to either Houston, who would move up into Pittsburgh’s spot, or the Pirates would use the pick on either Bierd or possibly Rays righthander Evan Meek.

Kansas City was reportedly targeting Astros catcher Lou Santangelo, who missed a large chunk of 2007 after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs, with the third pick overall. Santangelo has two power tools though in his bat and throwing arm.

MORE BUZZ

• The only significant name to pop up on the radar Wednesday–aside from Santangelo–was Orioles righthander Nick McCurdy, who is garnering interest among at least three clubs. McCurdy, 27, went a combined 3-6, 3.20 in 76 innings between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk in 2007.

• Rockies righthander Shane Lindsay was also generating more buzz the day before the draft, but like a lot of players in this year’s crop, Lindsay comes with some medical baggage.

Signed as a nondrafted free agent out of Australia in 2003, Lindsay ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the short-season Northwest League in 2005. He also ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the NWL in 2006 after recovering from a partially torn rotator cuff that season. After the Rockies shut him down in Hawaii Winter Baseball at the end of the 2006 season, Lindsay eventually needed labrum surgery and missed the entire 2007 season.

Colorado sent the 22-year-old back to Hawaii in October, where he struggled with command issues, walking 16 in 18 innings. When he was healthy and at his best, Lindsay threw a plus fastball that sits in the mid-90s and touched 97. He added an above-average curveball and had some feel for a changeup.

• The Reds officially became Rule 5 players Wednesday after they outrighted infielder Jorge Cantu off the 40-man roster. The club reportedly has more interest in arms than position players, though it seems Cincinnati–which blew out the 2006 Rule 5 draft by selecting Josh Hamilton–won’t likely take a chance on a pitcher with a similarly troubled background.

Marlins righthander Jeff Allison’s name has been all over the board in recent days, but don’t expect the Reds to bite.

“I seriously doubt that,” said one scouting director from a National League club. “That’s just Hamilton hype, and we’re talking about a completely different animal under a completely different set of circumstances.”

However, at least Allison’s name was on peoples’ minds. That’s more than can be said about the handful of Allison’s fellow 2003 first-round picks who were not protected. That list of players includes No. 3 overall pick Kyle Sleeth (Tigers), No. 5 overall pick Chris Lubanski (Royals), No. 6 overall pick Ryan Harvey (Cubs), No. 21 pick Matt Moses (Twins) and No. 27 pick Eric Duncan (Yankees).

• The Cubs will be Rule 5 players, with more than one front-office official saying that the club is focused on “arms, arms and more arms.” Chicago picks at No. 19 in the first round of the major league phase.

As you might have guessed, we’ll have full coverage of the Rule 5 here on the blog and after it’s all over with a special podcast.

Turn Off Ads?