Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Wrong in doing what? Releasing Walt? History would tell you that it wasnt a bad decision considering that the Cardinals won a WS after he left and they drafted the best farm system in baseball..
    The Cards keep Walt, and I don't think the Reds ever become contenders.

Plus, considering his previous track record and how exceptional he's been in Cincinnati, I think it's safe to assume that the Cards would have done just was well with him as with their current GM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Wrong in doing what? Releasing Walt? History would tell you that it wasnt a bad decision considering that the Cardinals won a WS after he left and they drafted the best farm system in baseball..
    The cards won that WS because of jocketty's players Mike

4. Likes:

MikeThierry (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Cards keep Walt, and I don't think the Reds ever become contenders.

Plus, considering his previous track record and how exceptional he's been in Cincinnati, I think it's safe to assume that the Cards would have done just was well with him as with their current GM.
    You had a very good system in place before Walt took over so I think you would have made headway without him. That said, I don't think you would have done as well as you did without him, so I agree with you there.

It's a "maybe" for me on your second point but I certainly don't think we would have rebuilt the farm system under him. I agree with you in your other posts that Walt did draft some good players but at the same time, Walt viewed the Cardinals system as a trading system instead of one to bring up talent. To a certain extent, his philosophy did work. I just think after a while of keep trading your top prospects will ultimately weaken the club down the road unless those trades were for players that were young with upside (like the JD Drew for Wainwright trade). What is known is that Mozeliak has done a remarkable job so I'm not crying over spilled milk on this topic.

In the end, I think both the Reds and Cardinals have benefited from the GM moves they made. Reds got Walt who has helped them and the Cardinals get a guy in Mozeliak who has practically rebuilt the team while remaining competitive and in the conversation for a legit team on a yearly basis. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-11-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    The cards won that WS because of jocketty's players Mike
    lol I hope this is sarcastic. Certainly Walt's influence was on that club but there were a ton of players Mo drafted and acquired on that team.

Dear fellow reds fans. The day we can truely forget about what the cardinals are doing and quit making excuses that they are lucky or they use scrap heap guys or make schedule arguments is the day that we all firmly believe the reds are the better team. Lets quit this stuff. In a backhanded way it's showing we are jealous of the cards success. Lets focus on the reds success.

8. Likes:

DavidMemphis (05-12-2013),MikeThierry (05-12-2013)

I suppose some people are gonna say that a Cardinal batter hitting a line drive off the pitcher's leg that bounces toward the 1st base dugout, and having the catcher and pitcher chase it, leaving no one at home plate so a slow runner can score from second base with the go ahead run is luck.

We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I suppose some people are gonna say that a Cardinal batter hitting a line drive off the pitcher's leg that bounces toward the 1st base dugout, and having the catcher and pitcher chase it, leaving no one at home plate so a slow runner can score from second base with the go ahead run is luck.

Every team has good and bad luck. Good teams are actually able to capitalize on their good luck. Bad teams blow it.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-13-2013),RedlegJake (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Every team has good and bad luck. Good teams are actually able to capitalize on their good luck. Bad teams blow it.
    Couldn't agree more, friend, just poking a little folly at the absurdity of the thread.

Nahh... that was just the magic of Ty Wigginton going into full effect

While that was lucky, the bomb that Holliday hit afterwards wasn't luck.

Couldn't agree more, friend, just poking a little folly at the absurdity of the thread.
    The thread has some interesting stuff but you are flat right...the title and initial point of it IS absurd. The Cards have won a lot because they are good not lucky. I love the rivalry growing. Reds haven't had a natural rival in a long time. They were lousy for the longest time and somehow in the west division before that. But I realize the rivalry is hotter for Cincy fans because. they are the team trying to topple the top dog. The Cards meanwhile thru good or lean have always felt that long long rivalry with the Cubbies.

I don't want to disrespect a solid board based for Reds fans by starting a separate Cards thread, so I figure I'd throw it in here...

What a win? Solid in all respects, even after the rough patch(es) Lynn and the defense had.

And the bullpen is really starting to come together.

Though, I have to say, I have no idea what Matheny is doing with these pitch counts. It's reminding me of Dusty during his Cubbie days. We're going to have a bunch of dead armed starters by September if he keeps letting guys throw 120+ pitches every outing.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    I don't want to disrespect a solid board based for Reds fans by starting a separate Cards thread, so I figure I'd throw it in here...

What a win? Solid in all respects, even after the rough patch(es) Lynn and the defense had.

And the bullpen is really starting to come together.

Though, I have to say, I have no idea what Matheny is doing with these pitch counts. It's reminding me of Dusty during his Cubbie days. We're going to have a bunch of dead armed starters by September if he keeps letting guys throw 120+ pitches every outing.
    It might be in part because outside of the 8th and 9th innings, he doesn't trust the bullpen.

It might be in part because outside of the 8th and 9th innings, he doesn't trust the bullpen.
    I believe it was more that MM wanted to reward Lynn by giving him the opportunity to be in line for the win.

If someone had told me in the second inning that Lynn would go 7 innings, I would have asked them to pass it over.

Matheny is usually pretty good with his pitchers, last weekend notwithstanding. It's hard to pull a pitcher when he's pitching a shut out, and I offered my opinion about last night.

Nahh... that was just the magic of Ty Wigginton going into full effect

While that was lucky, the bomb that Holliday hit afterwards wasn't luck.
    If the Mets make a relatively routine play to get the 1st out in the 7th that homerun doesn't happen. Cards got some fortunate breaks to go ahead that inning.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    If the Mets make a relatively routine play to get the 1st out in the 7th that homerun doesn't happen. Cards got some fortunate breaks to go ahead that inning.
    Whenever you have to leave your feet, it's at least a fairly difficult play. Having said that, Ankiel should have had it (perhaps if he had his own glove, instead of a pitcher's).

Yes, the Cardinals got some breaks, but so did the Mets. The line drive that Beltran missed in the 2nd inning, he went from the shade directly into the sun just as the ball arrived. He makes that catch, the Mets don't score.

The Cardinals should decline to play the national TV game if they have to start at 6:10, the sun is unbearable.

Turn Off Ads?