Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Geez, how long have you been a UC fan?!? Did you feel this way when UC was in C-USA?
    When UC was in C-USA, I expected to lose v. BCS opposition. There should be a large talent gulf an quality of coaching gulf between BCS and non-BCS programs. BCS programs should expect to win when they go out of conference to face WAC, MAC, C-USA and MWC competition.

I don't think that's an unrealistic standard to hold the team to at all. Very few programs in BCS conferences would ever shrug off a loss to a program like Fresno by saying "Eh, they're a good team." I don't see why such a loss should be acceptable for UC.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 UC Football

Maybe we're starting to see the fruits of Kelly's negligent recruiting at the non-skill positions? It should be a criminal offense to only recruit four linebackers in three classes. He wasn't much better at recruiting linemen.

UC will heal a bit during their Sacrificial Lamb U game. The NC State game looms large now.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't think that's an unrealistic standard to hold the team to at all.
    UC was a three point underdog, so Vegas thinks your standards are unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    UC was a three point underdog, so Vegas thinks your standards are unreasonable.
    I didn't check the line before the game. If so, that should be embarrassing to the the program and indicative of the lack of respect UC Football still gets nationwide. I doubt you'd find many BCS programs who would be road dogs against non-BCS competition.

Then again, the bigger issue is scheduling the game in the first place. You wouldn't find many BCS programs who would ever go on the road week 1 to play a non-BCS opponent.

I think a road game out west, new QB, new go to WR, new coach, has a lot more to do with it than lack of respect.

The MRI report is in. Hazelton tore his ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I didn't check the line before the game. If so, that should be embarrassing to the the program and indicative of the lack of respect UC Football still gets nationwide.
    Or....it could, you know, be an indication that Fresno is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The MRI report is in. Hazelton tore his ACL.
    Tough news. Binns, Woods and Guidugli will really need to step up if the offense is to get on track.

The Buckeye Bomber

This is what you get for laughing at Pitt. :P
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    This is what you get for laughing at Pitt. :P
    Laughing at Pitt? No. Pointing out Pitt as chronically underachieving? Yep.

But hey, you keep thinking that an NFL prospect's future is related to a few internet schleps' karma. Keep giving those OSU fans a good name.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-06-2010 at 01:01 PM.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Laughing at Pitt? No. Pointing out Pitt as chronically underachieving? Yep.

But hey, you keep thinking that an NFL prospect's future is related to a few internet schleps' karma.
    I wasn't talking about the injury - it was a delayed reaction to dogging Pitt for going out west and losing to an "unranked team."

It's playful banter from a Buckeye fan. Nothing more.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

BCS program or not, over the last decade, Fresno State has been a better football program than Cincy. Kelly took them to a high not seen previously, but Fresno State has been consistently good for a good while now. It'd be different if Cincy went on the road and lost to Idaho, but that's not the case here. The Bulldogs are a very good program, that could beat many BCS teams at Fresno.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    I wasn't talking about the injury - it was a delayed reaction to dogging Pitt for going out west and losing to an "unranked team."

It's playful banter from a Buckeye fan. Nothing more.
    Pitt is also supposed to be the best team in the big east.

Pitt should have easily won.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    BCS program or not, over the last decade, Fresno State has been a better football program than Cincy. Kelly took them to a high not seen previously, but Fresno State has been consistently good for a good while now. It'd be different if Cincy went on the road and lost to Idaho, but that's not the case here. The Bulldogs are a very good program, that could beat many BCS teams at Fresno.
    Not only could, but have--including even more on the road. The Bulldogs' BCS victims over the years include Oregon State (ranked #1 at the time), Colorado, Colorado State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Washington, Kansas State, Rutgers and Georgia Tech. And, of course, Cincinnati. They very nearly beat USC a few years back, falling by a touchdown. Those are just the victims I found in a ten second google search. Anyone who buys the BCS label as something that equals higher quality is drinking the Kelly Koolaid. Anyone who is unaware of Fresno State clearly a)doesn't watch much college football or b) goes to bed before the west coast games kickoff.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Not only could, but have--including even more on the road. The Bulldogs' BCS victims over the years include Oregon State (ranked #1 at the time), Colorado, Colorado State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Washington, Kansas State, Rutgers and Georgia Tech. And, of course, Cincinnati. They very nearly beat USC a few years back, falling by a touchdown. Those are just the victims I found in a ten second google search. Anyone who buys the BCS label as something that equals higher quality is drinking the Kelly Koolaid. Anyone who is unaware of Fresno State clearly a)doesn't watch much college football or b) goes to bed before the west coast games kickoff.
    "Over the years" is pretty misleading. How many years, 10? 50?

No one said Fresno State was anything but a good program. That's kind of the point. If UC is going on the road and being dominated for much of the game by a good team, what does that make them? Potentially less than good. It's one thing to lose, it's another to be out-everythinged after adjustments were made and look flat out weak for the final 40 or so minutes. In the first game, with months to plan and everyone healthy at opening kickoff. That's not good.

If UC wants to take the next step (winning BCS games, having unbeaten regular seasons lead to title game appearances), they simply have to be better than Fresno. Not a knock on Fresno, not a reason for UC to press the panic button, just the simple truth.

Now UC is coming home 0-1 and are without probably the most dangerous offensive weapon on the roster for the rest of the season. Oklahoma looms. Not ideal. Uphill climb for sure.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-06-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?