Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 5/4

Birthdays: 5/4

Reds:

Sam LeCure (28) -Sam's wife Megan plays professional fast-pitch softball. Actually I'm not sure about their marital status at the moment; they were separated at one point and I'm not sure if they reconciled or divorced or whatever.

Miguel Cairo (38) -The last original Tampa Bay Devil Ray still active in the bigs.

John Tsitouris (76) -The Reds traded Joe Nuxhall to get him, which is like the Vatican trading away the Pope. John had a good year or two for us, though...

Others:

Rene Lachemann (67) -Rene and his brothers Marcel and Bill, the sons of a hotel chef, all had long coaching careers. One of them played a washed-up pitcher in a famous commercial, but I can't remember the details, or which brother it was Actually I think it was Marcel...

Jack Tobin -A career St. Louis Brown; part of a terrific outfield with Ken Williams and Baby Doll Jacobson.

Charlie Hickman -Nicknamed "Piano Legs", which would indicate a certain slowness afoot, although he did have 72 career steals. A graduate of West Virginia University, he returned there after his playing days and served in a number of government positions, including mayor of Morgantown.

Let me digress a moment here: I keep hearing that yesterday's Bailey/Dempster matchup was the first between two pitchers sharing a birthday. My question is: HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE TRUE??? Okay, in every game there's a starting pitcher. The odds that he other starter will have the same birthday are 1 in 365. So by the law of averages it should happen once in every 365 games. You're telling me that in all the thousands upon thousands of games that have been played in major league history, that's never happened before? I'm sorry; I find that hard to believe...
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 05-04-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 5/4

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Let me digress a moment here: I keep hearing that yesterday's Bailey/Dempster matchup was the first between two pitchers sharing a birthday. My question is: HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE TRUE??? Okay, in every game there's a starting pitcher. The odds that he other starter will have the same birthday are 1 in 365. So by the law of averages it should happen once in every 365 games. You're telling me that in all the thousands upon thousands of games that have been played in major league history, that's never happened before? I'm sorry; I find that hard to believe...
    However, it was also a matchup between two pitchers sharing a birthday that happened on their birthday! This greatly lowers the probability of the event occurring.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 05-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    However, it was also a matchup between two pitchers sharing a birthday that happened on their birthday! This greatly lowers the probability of the event occurring.
    Plus there are only six months of the year in which baseball is played, making the odds even higher. According to my very bad and under used math skills, I think the odds are about once every 100 baseball seasons, which is about right.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Lincoln Park Red also shares May 4th as birthday.

slightly less famous than the guys listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Lincoln Park Red also shares May 4th as birthday.

slightly less famous than the guys listed above.
    Happy Birthday!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

However, it was also a matchup between two pitchers sharing a birthday that happened on their birthday!
    Ahh...that's the part that was missing for me. Thanks!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Someone mentioned in the game thread that this was the first time it had ever happened. They said it was in the Cubs post game notes. I know Marty mentioned they had contacted the Elias Sports Bureau to see if it had happened before. I didn't hear if they found out or not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Someone mentioned in the game thread that this was the first time it had ever happened. They said it was in the Cubs post game notes. I know Marty mentioned they had contacted the Elias Sports Bureau to see if it had happened before. I didn't hear if they found out or not.
    Marty said later that Elias had contacted them and said it had not happened before. He said it took longer than usual for them to get back with him.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

I recall when this happened last year. I just shrugged my shoulders at the time, but as I read the explanations above I realize this was quite a remarkable situation.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, LincolnparkRed!!!
    Last edited by Bob Borkowski; 05-04-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?