Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dunn was just a rental

Re: Dunn was just a rental

I think Dunner ends up in Cleveland. IIRC, Shapiro has shown interest in Dunn before.

Dunn up I-71?
    Posted by roryglynn at 11/1/2008 9:07 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto says the Indians should consider signing ex-Red Adam Dunn:

I haven't heard a word about this, but the Indians should look at free-agent outfielder Adam Dunn. Because he is a strange player with lots of strikeouts (164 in 517 at-bats last season) and a career .247 hitter, he may not get big money. So why consider him? Dunn has hit at least 40 HR in each of the past five seasons. He has a strong .381 OBP and a .899 OPS. Would a guy who hits 40 HR, drives in 100 runs, strikes out 160 times, and draws more than 100 walks while hitting in the .240s help the Indians in left field? He turns 29 next Sunday, so he still should have some good years left. The Indians would be more interested in a pitcher or infielder, but if Dunn is looking for a team in a few months -- the Indians should look hard at him.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting, OBM. I was going to suggest Cleveland, but with Hafner as a virtual sunk cost at DH, and with Garko and Martinez at 1B already, seems like they'd have nowhere but LF for him for now. I figured the AL teams would want the DH option for him. But Cleveland strikes me as a distinct possibility, especially if he ends up coming for something like 5/65.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good point about Hafner. I forgot they locked him up through 2012. I think a team like the Dodgers may be interested in Dunn if they fail to re-sign Manny. The Mets need a left fielder. Maybe the Braves...Bobby Cox has always liked Dunn but can they afford him?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good point about Hafner. I forgot they locked him up through 2012. I think a team like the Dodgers may be interested in Dunn if they fail to re-sign Manny. The Mets need a left fielder. Maybe the Braves...Bobby Cox has always liked Dunn but can they afford him?
    I didn't realize Cox liked him. I considered that too, but figured the Braves would want a better defender out there. Personality wise, it seems like Dunn would be a good fit in Atlanta.

I can't see him in New York or LA. The big city just doesn't suit him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Arlington is my guess.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

this was earlier in the baseball season

going by what Buster Olney said.

ESPN's Trade Deadline show. They were discussing the lack of interest in Dunn....his flaws, not knowing where he really fits in the order, the money involved...etc. Buster Olney said, "I talked to one GM today that said he wouldn't give Dunn more than a one or two year deal at 5-million a year when he becomes a free agent this offseason."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    A lot of people on RZ have gone on record saying how the Reds didn't appreciate Dunn's unique skillset, and and how he was mismanaged and misused. (And maybe he was--I would have prefered to have seen him hit higher in the order.)

But this offseason, we are going to find out just what the rest of MLB thinks of Adam Dunn. And if they line up with the Reds' opinion, maybe some of us on RZ might want to reevaluate our way of thinking.

Klu truer words have never been spoken. All of the top minds in baseball are now evaluating and like it or not Dunn is under the most epic microscope he has ever been.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Baltimore, if they don't land Teixeira. Boston might sign him if they really think he's being undervalued by the market.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Red's resign Dunn at 10 mill 5 years under condition he plays 1st base and yes he will be skaey but so will votto in left but no where near the butcher Dunn was as a LF'er
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Tampa might make the most sense because they don't have a full time DH, unless they don't feel like they can justify spending real money on one when they can platoon cheap guys or use it to rest guys.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I still think Houston could use him in RF, with Pence moving to CF. That's an absolutely horrid OF defensively, but, Holy Smokes, is it tough with the bat. Arlington would also be a possibility. Dunn, I think, will end up choosing comfort over cash and there's something to be said for that.

He'll also be both a bargain and less than desired by most of MLB, IMO.

IMO, Dunner will be a Met. Moving into the new stadium, they will be one of the few teams willing to unload some bucks for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Interesting, OBM. I was going to suggest Cleveland, but with Hafner as a virtual sunk cost at DH, and with Garko and Martinez at 1B already, seems like they'd have nowhere but LF for him for now. I figured the AL teams would want the DH option for him. But Cleveland strikes me as a distinct possibility, especially if he ends up coming for something like 5/65.
    Funny how the Adam Dunn tone has changed in just a few months.

It now sounds like the D-Backs have no interest in signing him which does not surprise me. It doesn't sound to me like the D-Backs will even offer him arbitration. I floated the arbitration question a few months back here:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120

and got barked at very loudly for it. I'll float the question again and see if the response has changed: Do you think the D-Backs will offer him arbitration?

As for Rick's $13 mill/yr suggestion above, such a number would have been laughed off this board a few months ago as badly undervaluing him and the Reds shouldn't even attempt to low ball him like that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do not think he's worth $15-20mill per year but that's not to say some GM like Bowden might pay it.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

It now sounds like the D-Backs have no interest in signing him which does not surprise me. It doesn't sound to me like the D-Backs will even offer him arbitration. I floated the arbitration question a few months back here:

and got barked at very loudly for it. I'll float the question again and see if the response has changed: Do you think the D-Backs will offer him arbitration?
    I'd be amazed if Dunn is not offered arbitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Funny how the Adam Dunn tone has changed in just a few months.

As for Rick's $13 mill/yr suggestion above, such a number would have been laughed off this board a few months ago as badly undervaluing him and the Reds shouldn't even attempt to low ball him like that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do not think he's worth $15-20mill per year but that's not to say some GM like Bowden might pay it.
    I'm 99% sure I've read Jeff Moorad saying Dunn would be offered arbitration. There's no way they don't.

Even among Dunn's supporters, I'm not sure you'll find many, if any, who believe he's worth more than $13-15M. Certainly you won't find many who think that represents "low-balling" him -- particularly among those defending his production. The argument was between those who felt was he was paid appropriately for his production and those who felt he was overpaid and thus a drag on the team.

Jojo (I think) has shown his math which pegs Dunn as around a 2.5-3.0 win player next year. You multiply that out by the cost of a win and figure that players on average lose around half a win of production per year after their peak, and anything more than $10-12M per is going to be overpaying Dunn over the course of his contract.

Perhaps the most instructive thing will be the contracts given to Burrell and Dunn. Burrell is 3 years older and a slightly less productive player --- and yet I'd wouldn't be at all surprised to see Burrell get more money due to the way each of them has been characterized.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?