Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

Re: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

I would pitch Latos tomorrow. He only worked four innings last time and didn't follow his usual starting routine.

Give me Bailey tonight, Latos tomorrow, Arroyo on Thursday, and I'm pretty confident.

I can't be confident with Leake, he hasn't pitched well at GABP.

If Latos can't go too long tomorrow the team has a deep bullpen to finish for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would pitch Latos tomorrow. He only worked four innings last time and didn't follow his usual starting routine.

Give me Bailey tonight, Latos tomorrow, Arroyo on Thursday, and I'm pretty confident.

I can't be confident with Leake, he hasn't pitched well at GABP.

If Latos can't go too long tomorrow the team has a deep bullpen to finish for him.
    If they win tonight, I too will be very confident about tomorrow and Thursday.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Whatever Fay says, I believe the opposite.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Reds could do themselves a huge solid by winning today. If they win, they can make the decision the next few days what to do with Cueto. They could start by simply leaving him off the LCS roster and have Leake make a start or what have you, then they could "DL" Leake for some phantom injury in the middle of the series if Cueto gets healthy. If not, they could play to win the LCS without him and then simply put him back on the roster before the World Series. So the options are much better if they simply win today.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Another option, if they lose tonight, would be to DL somebody else (say Simon) so they can activate Leake without burning the option of having Cueto available in the NLCS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

By the way, it occurred to me that perhaps Fay thought they said "mild oblique strain" when they actually said "mild back strain." Perhaps that's a source of the confusion? Maybe it really is an oblique strain, but it would explain why Jocketty didn't mention it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Unfortunately, we're going to find out what Dusty and Walt have in mind.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

IMO, if Johnny is hurt, DL him, pitch Leake tomorrow and Mat game 5 (if nec.).

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Another option, if they lose tonight, would be to DL somebody else (say Simon) so they can activate Leake without burning the option of having Cueto available in the NLCS.
    MLB would likely investigate if Simon mysteriously came up with an injury after Cueto's injury has been so well-documented.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    MLB would likely investigate if Simon mysteriously came up with an injury after Cueto's injury has been so well-documented.
    Let 'em. If Simon says he's hurting, there is nothing they can find to refute it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Let 'em. If Simon says he's hurting, there is nothing they can find to refute it.
    To be technical, they have to fill out a form signed by a doctor. But that's obviously not stopped teams from pulling it off in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Leake is a 5.54 ERA guy at home. I'll take Arroyo once through on 3 days rest (2-3 IP) and let LeCure, Simon, and the bullpen take the rest.

I'd avoid pitching Leake at all costs, IMO.
    Me too. No question. Pitch Leake tomorrow, let the game get away, and by Game 5 we are in an entirely different series.

Dusty and co. have been managing the pitchers pretty cautiously, seems to me; probably aware of the high inning counts and long-term investments on all of them. If they say Latos can go, I trust them. And Latos is a hoss, physically and mentally. Keep him on a short leash and have as much of the bullpen ready to go as possible. I know we've got a cushion still, but IMHO they've got to wrap this up tomorrow, let everybody get some rest and regroup.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Me too. No question. Pitch Leake tomorrow, let the game get away, and by Game 5 we are in an entirely different series.

Dusty and co. have been managing the pitchers pretty cautiously, seems to me; probably aware of the high inning counts and long-term investments on all of them. If they say Latos can go, I trust them. And Latos is a hoss, physically and mentally. Keep him on a short leash and have as much of the bullpen ready to go as possible. I know we've got a cushion still, but IMHO they've got to wrap this up tomorrow, let everybody get some rest and regroup.
    That's a bit of hyperbole. Leake is better than probably 95% of the fifth starters teams would have the luxury of throwing out there in an emergency.

His home ERA is not much worse than Homer Bailey's home ERA. It didn't stop Homer from pitching well tonight. Further, Leake is a groundball pitcher (almost 2-1 groundball to flyball this season). Unfortunately for him, he was snake bit by a very unsustainable HR/FB rate. I don't think that should at all be a consideration. If the Reds feel Cueto can't go and they aren't ready to pitch Latos, then Leake should get the call.

That said, there are other ways to do this without putting Cueto out, so I would go one of those routes not because of Leake but because of not wanting to eliminate Cueto from the LCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's a bit of hyperbole. Leake is better than probably 95% of the fifth starters teams would have the luxury of throwing out there in an emergency.

His home ERA is not much worse than Homer Bailey's home ERA. It didn't stop Homer from pitching well tonight. Further, Leake is a groundball pitcher (almost 2-1 groundball to flyball this season). Unfortunately for him, he was snake bit by a very unsustainable HR/FB rate. I don't think that should at all be a consideration. If the Reds feel Cueto can't go and they aren't ready to pitch Latos, then Leake should get the call.

That said, there are other ways to do this without putting Cueto out, so I would go one of those routes not because of Leake but because of not wanting to eliminate Cueto from the LCS.
    He's a great #5, but teams don't pitch #5 pitchers in the postseason for a reason. I don't trust Leake mentally, in GABP, in a game that high pressure. Or at least I don't trust him as much as I do Latos. It's as simple as that. If Latos can handle it physically, that's who I trust.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't trust Leake mentally, in GABP, in a game that high pressure. Or at least I don't trust him as much as I do Latos. It's as simple as that. If Latos can handle it physically, that's who I trust.
    Leake's psyche is one of his strong points. This is a kid that skipped the minors entirely and came up attacking big league hitters. I think mentally should be the last worry about putting Leake out there. If he's called on, he'll handle it just fine.

Latos would be pitching on short rest for a second consecutive time. I'm not sure that's a good idea when you can simply let him wait one more day and pitch on full rest. And the great news is that if Leake wins it, Latos will be able to go game one if Cueto still isn't ready.

I really don't think Leake is given enough credit here. He may not have dominant stuff, but the kid is a pitcher and a battler.

Turn Off Ads?