Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 UC Basketball official thread

Re: 2010/2011 UC Basketball official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Brutus, do you think Cincinnati will make the tournament?

Seriously isn't there an Ohio State thread for you to post in? I mean, they are undefeated and #1 in the country and everything. We get it already, you don't think UC is a tournament team. I have my doubts as well, but you coming into the UC thread and repeatedly tell us that they aren't a tournament team is getting a little old. Especially when you throwing out how many points one team beats another by to prove your point.

Did you know that Ohio State lost by double digits to Butler last year? (Technically it was 8, but we will round up).

Oh, and Ohio State lost by 22 at Wisconsin last year. 22!

They lost by 9 at Michigan (rounded up to double digits).

Then they lost by 11 at Minnesota.

Yup, then there was that 16 point loss at West Virginia.

Can you believe that after all of those double digit losses they still ended up getting a 2 seed! Wow! I didn't think good teams did that!
    What does Ohio State have to do with anything? Isn't this a thread about Cincinnati?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    What does Ohio State have to do with anything? Isn't this a thread about Cincinnati?
    His point was solid teams lose on the road to solid teams and a lot of times look bad doing it. UC up by 6 on the road vs a decent St. Johns team..

UC needs this game.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    His point was solid teams lose on the road to solid teams and a lot of times look bad doing it. UC up by 6 on the road vs a decent St. Johns team..

UC needs this game.
    OK well it seemed he had other motives.

To his point about Ohio State, what he's leaving out is that OSU was without Evan Turner, the National Player of the Year, for three of their losses on the road, including Butler & Wisconsin.

And to be honest, I don't think anyone would have suggested they were a tournament team without Turner.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

BTW, I didn't get to watch it as I've been watching Kansas-Texas, but I think the win today against St. John's is a nice win and will be important if they want to make the tournament. Kudos to UC for today.

BTW, I didn't get to watch it as I've been watching Kansas-Texas, but I think the win today against St. John's is a nice win and will be important if they want to make the tournament. Kudos to UC for today.
    Agreed. One of if not the final tournament spot for a Big East team could easily come down to these two teams so having a win on the road against St. Johns in your back pocket is big. These two will play again in Cincy on February 13th.

Fine, but why not answer his first question?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Fine, but why not answer his first question?
    Oh, well I thought I'd been pretty clear in this thread that my opinion is that Cincinnati won't end up making it.

I mean after all, I offered to make a signature bet with a few people about it. I just assumed it was a rhetorical question. But as is, I just sat down last night to do my own bracket projection, as I start doing near February each year, and I'm amazed at how bland it gets after about the 32nd at-large spot. Which would be tough even if there were still 34 at-larges, but there are now 38.

So while I've said I'm not keen on Cincinnati's profile, there just aren't many pretty profiles out there to take. So I'm less bullish that they won't make it than I was before. The St. John's win certainly didn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Brutus; 01-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Oh, well I thought I'd been pretty clear in this thread that my opinion is that Cincinnati won't end up making it.

I mean after all, I offered to make a signature bet with a few people about it. I just assumed it was a rhetorical question. But as is, I just sat down last night to do my own bracket projection, as I start doing near February each year, and I'm amazed at how bland it gets after about the 32nd at-large spot. Which would be tough even if there were still 34 at-larges, but there are now 35.

So while I've said I'm not keen on Cincinnati's profile, there just aren't many pretty profiles out there to take. So I'm less bullish that they won't make it than I was before. The St. John's win certainly didn't hurt either.
    I'm down for a sig bet.

Another nice win for UC.

While Rutgers is a mediocre team, it's nice to see UC take care of business and win the games that they're expected to win. In past years UC struggled to take care of business and beat inferior teams, so it's very encouraging to see them start to reverse that trend.

As an aside, it's been a pretty crazy week in the Big East. Watching Seton Hall go to Syracuse and win and seeing Providence beat Villanova at home gives you perspective about just how deep the league actually is. Even against the bottom feeders there aren't many gimmies in this league. It makes UC taking care of business vs. the bottom half of the league all the more impressive.
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 01-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.

UC still hasn't lost a game they should've won, not many teams can say that there have been a lot of upsets lately..

UC vs WVU at 8:00 tonight at Fifth Third Arena. This would be a decent win vs a top 25 RPI team.

I think UC is basically a lock at this point. I trhink they've done plenty to prove they're deserving (just making the Tournament isn't THAT high a bar afterall). If Xavier keeps playing the way they are, UC will be able to point to that as a very high quality OOC win (especially given the margin). Even if UC has to sort of hold their collective noses while calling Xavier a quality opponent .

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think UC is basically a lock at this point. I trhink they've done plenty to prove they're deserving (just making the Tournament isn't THAT high a bar afterall). If Xavier keeps playing the way they are, UC will be able to point to that as a very high quality OOC win (especially given the margin). Even if UC has to sort of hold their collective noses while calling Xavier a quality opponent .
    The way things are falling today, both Cincinnati teams could be in the Top 25 next week. I would never have imagined that earlier in the month.

Huggy Bear back in the Shoe. Big, big game for the Cats tonight.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Huggy Bear back in the Shoe. Big, big game for the Cats tonight.
    And we layed another egg.

This team really annoys me sometimes, tonight is one of those times. They reverted back to the typical Cronin game plan, jack up tons of 3's. Did you see the consecutive air balls from Thomas and Dixon within 5 seconds of each other from behind the arch? They attempted 29 threes in this game. 29, and they made 8.

Oh, and nice to see Bishop with another wonderful productive night, going 1-9.

Turn Off Ads?