Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo the perfect man for Game 2

Arroyo the perfect man for Game 2

One of the constant themes I've seen is the resiliency of the Reds. How they bounce back from being shutout to win a big series, or overcome losing 3 in a row to win 4 back. I looked at the big losses and the bounceback wins from the Reds this year, and Bronson Arroyo is practically a constant throughout.

4/8/10 vs. Cards Reds had lost first two games of season, at risk of going 0-3 at home to start season: Arroyo: ND, 8 IP,1 run
    5/16/10 vs Cards Reds had split first two games of series with Cards, had chance to move into 1st place for 1st time this season, win first series vs Cards Arroyo: W, 9 IP, 2 runs
    5/21/2010 vs Indians The day after the Atlanta debacle, the Reds cling to a 1/2 game lead Arroyo: W, 6 2/3 IP, 4 runs
    5/26/2010 vs Pirates The day after the Reds were shut down by Paul Maholm and had lost a game in part because Drew Stubbs couldn't find the ball in the lights. Arroyo: W, 7 2/3 IP, 0 Runs
    6/17/2010 vs Dodgers Reds had lost three games in a row. June Swoon alert on high as the team is 6 and 8 in June. Arroyo: W, 7 IP, 1 run
    6/22/2010 vs. AthleticsAnxiety level still high even though this follows a win. After losing 3 in a row to Seattle, Cordero had blown his 5th save of the year the night before in Oakland, though the team came back to win in the 10th. Arroyo: W, 8 IP, 2 runs
    7/7/10 vs. Mets Reds had been shutout the night before by Johan Santana. Arroyo W, 8 IP, 1 run
    7/16/2010 vs. Rockies Reds had lost 4 consecutive going into the ASB. Had lost two consecutive 1-0 games. 2nd half fade assured by all talking heads. Arroyo: W, 7 IP, 2 runs
    7/31/2010 vs. Braves 6 different bullpen pitchers used on 7/30. Had a big comeback only to be thwarted and lose 6-4 in 10 innings. Arroyo gives up 2 unearned runs in the 1st including walking 1 in, shakes that off and pitches a gem the rest of the way. Arroyo: W, 7 IP, 2 runs 0 ER
    8/11/2010 vs. Cards For fairness sake, point out the one time he didn't win the big bounceback. 3rd game of the Cardinals sweep. This is the game after the brawl. Though to be fair he kept the team in it for four innings before giving up 4 runs in the 5th. Arroyo: L, 5 IP, 4 runs
    8/22/2010 vs. Dodgers Reds had lost 8-5 the previous night. Reds hadn't won a series on the West Coast in forever, but had a chance to here. Arroyo: W, 7 IP, 2 runs
    9/2/2010 vs. Cards 1st game of weekend series, pitched well but gave up 3 runs in the first two innings. Did not allow Cardinals to run away with game though and the Reds came back to get within 1. Arroyo: L, 6 IP, 3 Runs
    9/13/2010 vs. Dbacks Day after Cordero blows save and gives up 3 runs in the 9th. Lead down to 6, whispers mount about team blowing the lead Arroyo: W, 6 IP, 2 runs
    9/24/2010 vs Padres Two days after Johnny Cueto can't get out of the 2nd inning in a 13-1 thumping, Bronson takes the mound and keeps Reds in game vs. Padres Arroyo: ND, 5 IP, 2 runs
    9/30/2010 vs Astros Two days after Clinchmas, and one day after the Post Clinchmas hangover, with the Reds needing wins and some help to get the #2 seed, Arroyo throws a gem to put the Reds in position for the weekend. Arroyo: W, 7 IP, 1 run
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo the perfect man for Game 2

Great post HR. I worry about the lefties vs. BA, but at this point, it's not like we have anything to lose.

Obviously it's easy to say now, but part of me wonders if this was the idea all along for Bronson to pitch game 2. No matter who pitched yesterday, it's tough odds going against Halladay.
    If I have one game that I essentially have to have, I want Bronson Arroyo on the mound.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Obviously, biggest game of Arroyo's career as a Red. But, let's face it, it's a very tough challenge. I expect him to have to be able to pitch out of multiple jams if he's going to put up a quality start.

The one thing I like about Arroyo starting is his experience with pitching in the playoffs before. He has been through these kind of big games with the Red Sox so that is a plus.

What I don't like about Arroyo starting is him facing this lefty heavy lineup. The Phillies lineup is a bad matchup for Arroyo.

The Phillies lineup is a bad matchup for Arroyo.
    Yes it is. Which is why he will deserve tremendous credit if he holds them down.

I agree. I think he could get hit hard, but I also think he might just have them pouding into ground. Let's just hope they are not hitting the holes. I like what a pen did last night and that was not including AR, co co and cuban missle. We just have to get a good started to get us to the 6th or 7th. We also need to score. It would be so sweet to light up Oswault. I'm so sick of listening to ESPN saying the Reds have no chance. Friday a must win so we'll know soon enough.

Arroyo vs the Phillies scares the heck out of me. I wish Travis Wood was making this start.

i see one of two things happening, Arroyo pitches something like a 7 inning 1-run performance, or he's out of the game by the 4th inning. i don't think he'll really have an in-between, and i think both scenarios have equal probability.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I wish Travis Wood was making this start.
    i was surprised when he wasn't the starter for game 3. i thought it'd go Cueto, Arroyo, Wood myself.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Better hope the air in Philadelphia is cool and knocking fly balls down tomorrow night. 'Cuz if it's traveling well in Citizen's Bank park, Arroyo becomes a less-than-ideal candidate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Arroyo vs the Phillies scares the heck out of me. I wish Travis Wood was making this start.

Absolutely because, as we all know, lefties hit 1.000 and slug 4.000 aqainst Arroyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Arroyo will be on the Jim Rome show in the third hour today. So coming up some time this hour.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

He's on right now, if you care.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    He's on right now, if you care.
    Jungle Karma. Classic.

Turn Off Ads?