Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

Re: Baseball America's Top Ten Reds prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I thought he was supposed to have massive power potential?
    Baseball Prospectus says he has plus-plus raw power... and Ben Badler of BA graded Rodriguez's power potential as a 70 on the 20-80 scale awhile back in the International scouting reports.

2. Turn Off Ads?

There's a pretty large gap between above average and plus-plus. I'm hoping for at least plus. It'd be hard to get excited about a 16 year old who might hit 20 homers someday.

Ive always understood that Rodriguez has the potential to be a carlos beltran type. Thats pretty lofty potential.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Summary of each scouting report:

Yonder Alonso - plus power and swing and plate discipline to hit for high average. Best power is to the alleys. Is a workaholic. Below average athlete. Soft hands and adequate arm should allow him to develop into an average defender. Has not proven he can hit a quality breaking ball, but the Reds believe he will. Could reach majors by September of 2009.

Todd Frazier - above average raw power. Soft hands and strong arm and solid defender. Average speed. Good athlete for his size. Unconventional swing. Could reach majors by late 2009.

Drew Stubbs - excellent bat speed, above average raw power, plus arm and plus-plus speed. Made strides at plate by widening stance and cutting down on swing. Scouts believe cutting down on his swing was a smart move and they think his power will develop as he makes more contact. Probably will never hit for high average. Not a great bunter yet.

Chris Valaika - good instincts and work ethic. Good swing, uses all parts of the field, above average bat speed, surviving at SS, has the bat to play second base. Lacks quick feet but quick release and strong arm make up for lack of range. Could reach majors in 2009.

Yorman Rodriguez - projects for above average power, plus-plus speed, already an above average defender in CF, best outfield arm in the system. Struggles against breaking balls right now. Held his own against older pitchers in instructional league. Will start in extended spring training before heading to GCL league.

Kyle Lotzkar - most promising young pitcher in organization. Projects to have three above average pitches. Free and easy delivery. Trusts his secondary stuff. Health is biggest concern. Projects as No. 2 starter.

Neftali Soto - broke Juan Gonzalez's youth homer records in Puerto Rico. Great bat speed and strength. Projects for 60-65 power (plus category) on 20-80 scale. Great hand-eye coordination. Strong arm. Below average speed. May eventually move to left field but Reds will keep him at 3B for now.

Juan Francisco - great power, quick bat long arms provide great leverage. Arm grades out as a 70 on the 20-80 scale. Expected to outgrow 3B, though he has a solid first step and decent speed. Plate discipline is poor. Needs to watch his weight.

Juan Duran - best raw power in the system. His swing possessed natural loft and great carry. Massive frame, could add 40-50 pounds. Plus speed for now but will lose some as he fills out. Expected to move from CF to RF. Strong arm. Gawky runner for now as he's adjusting to growing six inches in the span of a year.

Devin Mesoraco - outstanding tools for a catcher. Good strength and strong arm. Was best player in instructional league after his thumbs healed. Scouts were disappointed in his debut. Bat speed slowed as season went on with thumb injuries playing a role in that. May benefit from repeating Low-A.

and a link to BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...09/267417.html
    I couldn't help it but to add that, it's what I have been yapping about for some time and then BA comes out with it finally.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Alonso has hit .300 at every stop, so he must doing something right

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Alonso has hit .300 at every stop, so he must doing something right
    I haven't checked, but Norris Hopper has probably done that, too. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I haven't checked, but Norris Hopper has probably done that, too. Just sayin'.
    Actually, no, but Sean Casey did. Alonso has more power and speed, but I am still a little worried that he will be closer to Casey than Pujols.

Every hitting prospect has to prove he can hit a quality curveball. You don't see a lot of quality curveballs in high school and college, at least not on a consistent basis. It's not just Alonso, it's every hitting prospect.

Every hitting prospect has to prove he can hit a quality curveball. You don't see a lot of quality curveballs in high school and college, at least not on a consistent basis. It's not just Alonso, it's every hitting prospect.
    A lot of times the problem is chasing the curveball. The curve is a difficult pitch to get called for a strike -- more so in the majors than in college ball, too. Alonso is not the type of hitter who will have protracted problems chasing -- his discipline is too advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree OBM but BA doesn't list the issue for anyone else but him, sounds like they think he has more of an issue with it the the norm. Or maybe they don't but they put it in there for a reason and since it's a question about him I had I am choosing not to dismiss it completely.

We might start asking the question at some point "why isn't Alonso being promoted?" and this one issue could be part or all of the reason why. It may not either but it's something to keep in the back of our minds.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree OBM but BA doesn't list the issue for anyone else but him, sounds like they think he has more of an issue with it the the norm. Or maybe they don't but they put it in there for a reason and since it's a question about him I had I am choosing not to dismiss it completely.

We might start asking the question at some point "why isn't Alonso being promoted?" and this one issue could be part or all of the reason why. It may not either but it's something to keep in the back of our minds.
    Or its just a case of there wasn't anything negative to list, so they went with the one thing that he needs to prove given you don't see much in terms of a consistent curveball until you are in the upper minors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or its just a case of there wasn't anything negative to list, so they went with the one thing that he needs to prove given you don't see much in terms of a consistent curveball until you are in the upper minors.
    So are you suggesting he is flawless?

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So are you suggesting he is flawless?
    Not at all, but I am suggesting it was mentioned because at the plate he seems to do everything else extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not at all, but I am suggesting it was mentioned because at the plate he seems to do everything else extremely well.
    Weaknesses: Offensively, Alonso has yet to prove that he can recognize and hit a quality breaking ball, though Cincinnati thinks he'll be able to do just that.
    I can see how that could read that way which is why I never ruled it out in my post. That said I can also see how it might read that they (the people BA gets their info from and thus BA as well) think he could have a problem there. Doesn't really matter I suppose because I believe he'll probably eventually hit them whether he has trouble now or not (just a gut hunch).

But I just think people really need to be a little more realistic with their expectations and part of that is being critical of any possible weaknesses a player might have. I think he's gonna be a very good hitter but if someone didn't know any better and read this site for it's info they would think we are getting the next Bonds/Pujols or Ted Williams. And then when he shows up you got people who are disappointed that he ain't as advertised. Granted everyone should take everything they hear everywhere with a grain of salt and that is their responsibility. But I happen to think we here at RZ also have a responsibility to be as objective as possible. But that's just me which I am gonna keep on doing and I hope others start or continue to as well.

--Woody Hayes

Aaron (YYZ): You can have one of these super-young Latin American prospects, Juan Duran (CIN, OF) or Kelvin De Leon (NYY, OF), which do you take?

Kevin Goldstein: Duran.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=561

Turn Off Ads?