Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty's job might not be safe?

Dusty's job might not be safe?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1352594.story

Dusty Baker may not be as safe in Cincinnati as the Reds' strong finish would suggest. Owner Bob Castellini reportedly has his eye on the Cardinals tandem of manager Tony La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan. ... Another former Cubs manager, Don Baylor, is being mentioned as a candidate for the vacancy in Houston, but general manager Ed Wade is trying to sell Jim Fregosi to owner Drayton McLane. ...

The odds on the Cardinals re-signing Matt Holliday, which weren't great to start with, took a hit when he muffed a ninth-inning line drive in Game 2 of the division series against the Dodgers. The 800-pound gorilla in the Holliday negotiations is Alex Rodriguez's 10-year, $275 million contract with the Yankees. That has to be the starting point for an extension with Albert Pujols, who is two years from free agency. ...

The Brewers are telling teams they don't plan to trade Prince Fielder. They hope to get pitching back in trades for shortstop J.J. Hardy and possibly third base prospect Mat Gamel, a .302 hitter in five minor league systems who has been made expendable by the emergence of Casey McGehee, claimed on waivers from the Cubs last fall. ... "Heart of the Game" by S.L. Price, on the late Mike Coolbaugh, might be the best baseball book since "Ball Four." ... Speaking of books, "Moneyball" protagonist Billy Beane is responsible for A's teams that have gone 226-259 since Barry Zito's exit, and Beane admits "we have a long way to go" in getting competitive again. Manager Bob Geren is safe for another year as the search for hitters continues. ...

New Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos, 32, was hired as J.P. Ricciardi's scouting coordinator in 2003. He was a teenager when he got his first job in baseball, coordinating the fan mail of Expos players. ... The Twins will attempt to re-sign shortstop Orlando Cabrera, whom they praise as a leader. ... Prospective free agent John Lackey might make himself a lot of money with a couple more strong playoff starts for the Angels. He'd be a perfect addition to the Cubs, but there may be too many bad contracts on the books for them to bid for him. The teams seemingly in the best position to spend this winter are the Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals and Giants.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Dusty's job might not be safe?

Fine with me.. Cueto and Bailey would welcome the move

I'm not a huge LaRussa fan, but if he came with Duncan, I'd be all for it. At least the guy knows how to make out a lineup card. If Taveras is in the lineup, LaRussa would have him batting 9th.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This would be way, way too smart of a move for this organization to make. I can only hope.

Personal vendettas against LaRussa aside...how does one make the argument that replacing Baker with LaRussa could be a bad thing?

But think of all of the pre-bought toothpicks!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

If.. Big IF we nab the two.. Would we give them a team that can produce runs.. Perhaps a payroll like the Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Personal vendettas against LaRussa aside...how does one make the argument that replacing Baker with LaRussa could be a bad thing?
    Baker's less drunk?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    If.. Big IF we nab the two.. Would we give them a team that can produce runs.. Perhaps a payroll like the Cards?
    There's the rub. Having a great coach is all fine and good. But at the end of the day, the onus falls on the players. I simply don't think the manager has THAT much impact. At least not so much that he should eat up a significant portion of our payroll budget. And that tandem most certainly would.

Retired

Would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

If LaRussa wants to contine, and not retire, I think the Cards will give him another contract. What incentive does LaRussa have to leave St. Louis and come to Cincinnati? Not much that I can think of.

Plus, we'd have to payout Dusty, plus pay Tony and Dave. LaRussa and Duncan aren't going to come cheap. That would be A LOT of money tied up in a manager, former manager, and pitching coach.

I hate Tony Larussa.

HATE.

There I said it.

I'd rather have Bob Boone back.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

For all the grief that fans give LaRussa, the guy wins. Just sayin'
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Larussa is > than Baker but will cost more than Baker's 3.5 million dollar price tag. I still can't see Cast paying 5 million+ for Larussa and Duncan while having to eat the rest of Baker's contract. If that happens I can't see Walt making any significant signings this offseason.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I hate Tony Larussa.

HATE.

There I said it.

I'd rather have Bob Boone back.
    Let's go get a guy in his 60's and on his fourth job... who also still lives on the west coast.....that will work.

Imagine Marty announcing the games with LaRussa as the Reds manager.

Turn Off Ads?