Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Chapman pitch the 10th?

Will Chapman pitch the 10th?

Seems like a no brainer to me that if we dont score in the resumed bottom 9, you "leave Chapman in" to pitch another inning...agree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Chapman pitch the 10th?

No way. Dusty will want to save him for an actual "save" situation in the scheduled game.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

redsrule2500 (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    No way. Dusty will want to save him for an actual "save" situation in the scheduled game.
    That doesnt seem to make sense because a) Dusty was willing to use him in a tie game last night b) Utley and Howard will be up and c) the suspended game counts just as much as the "scheduled game" and it could be a blowout...

In my mind, you turn the first game into a "2 at bats for Reds" vs. "1 at bat vs. Chapman for Phils" and you really like your chances...

Hopefully Cozart, Votto and Phillips make this a non-issue. But I think YES, you most definitely have to pitch Chappy. He threw around 16 pitches last night, so he should be ready. Also, the game is on the line use him now. What if for some reason, Leake comes out and blows up and gives up 7 runs. Then we have "saved" Chapman and he never gets used. If we need a save in game 2, then we have the luxury of Broxton.

7. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Hopefully Cozart, Votto and Phillips make this a non-issue. But I think YES, you most definitely have to pitch Chappy. He threw around 16 pitches last night, so he should be ready. Also, the game is on the line use him now. What if for some reason, Leake comes out and blows up and gives up 7 runs. Then we have "saved" Chapman and he never gets used. If we need a save in game 2, then we have the luxury of Broxton.
    Exactly...plus, you know its Utley and Howard in game 1. Game 2 save situation might be the bottom of the order. Definitely more value using him in game 1...you have to figure that he will have to pitch at some point with Leake not likely to go very deep, and not knowing how long game 1 goes...might as well ensure he's in a big situation.

The chances of winning the suspended game is far higher than the chances of winning the regular game today, given the circumstances and starting pitching of both games.

You go win the the first one and let the second one work itself out.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    That doesnt seem to make sense because a) Dusty was willing to use him in a tie game last night b) Utley and Howard will be up and c) the suspended game counts just as much as the "scheduled game" and it could be a blowout...

In my mind, you turn the first game into a "2 at bats for Reds" vs. "1 at bat vs. Chapman for Phils" and you really like your chances...
    Dusty (and most managers) use their closers in the top of 9th during tie games. There will be no save situation for the rest of the game. Therefore, why not use what you have to maintain the tie. Hopefully Chappy will get the win.

Assuming he is available (3 straight isn't usually a huge deal), I think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Assuming he is available (3 straight isn't usually a huge deal), I think it will happen.
    It would be 4 straight, although Sunday was very limited.

I'm more interested who the Phillies pitch if someone gets on.

Papelbon or a crappy lefty

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Seems like a no brainer to me that if we dont score in the resumed bottom 9, you "leave Chapman in" to pitch another inning...agree?
    Seems like a no brainer -- but I've never been able to see into Dusty's brain
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I've never been able to see into Dusty's brain
    And you are a much better man for it!

Chapman should pitch the tenth.

Hopefully it won't happen because there will be no tenth.

My only concern is that you have to get Chapman loose in the 9th if your going to bring him back. If the Reds score after he's already loose, what does that do for his availablility in the 2nd game?
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    My only concern is that you have to get Chapman loose in the 9th if your going to bring him back. If the Reds score after he's already loose, what does that do for his availablility in the 2nd game?
    He won't pitch both games, either #1 or #2

Count on that

Turn Off Ads?