Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto

Re: Neftali Soto

It's time to call-up Neftali Soto IMO. The Reds play 6 games in AL parks and need a DH. The team needs some RH Pop. Votto needs rest and could DH while a Soto/Hannahan tandem shares 1B for a week. Soto is up to .291/.327/.453/.781 with 9 HR in 258 Abs. Against LHP he sits at .312/.361/.623/.985 with 6 HR in 77 ABs. Here is the missing lefty killer the team needs. He doesn't walk much, but he's got pop and has been playing some 3B as well to add a little positional value. Over his last 10 games .400/.415/.675/1.090 in 40 ABs.

Given his positions, he may not be the best use of a bench spot all season, but over the next 6 games with the DH involved, his current hot streak and his ability against LHP, he'd be really darned useful IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

BillDoran (06-25-2013),Blitz Dorsey (06-25-2013),Edd Roush (06-25-2013),mdccclxix (06-25-2013),RedlegJake (06-25-2013),Tom Servo (06-25-2013),Tony Cloninger (06-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's time to call-up Neftali Soto IMO. The Reds play 6 games in AL parks and need a DH. The team needs some RH Pop. Votto needs rest and could DH while a Soto/Hannahan tandem shares 1B for a week. Soto is up to .291/.327/.453/.781 with 9 HR in 258 Abs. Against LHP he sits at .312/.361/.623/.985 with 6 HR in 77 ABs. Here is the missing lefty killer the team needs. He doesn't walk much, but he's got pop and has been playing some 3B as well to add a little positional value. Over his last 10 games .400/.415/.675/1.090 in 40 ABs.

Given his positions, he may not be the best use of a bench spot all season, but over the next 6 games with the DH involved, his current hot streak and his ability against LHP, he'd be really darned useful IMO.
    Good idea, but only way it happens is if Reds use 11 pitchers in AL parks.

Reds will add Heisey so it seems doubtful they will also add Soto now. I would have added Soto over Lutz previously, but his limited defensive versatility hurt Soto in that situation.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cosign.

Would love to see Soto get some more MLB at bats, but I think there's zero chance of that happening right now. Heisey will get the call and the ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Good idea, but only way it happens is if Reds use 11 pitchers in AL parks.

Reds will add Heisey so it seems doubtful they will also add Soto now. I would have added Soto over Lutz previously, but his limited defensive versatility hurt Soto in that situation.
    11 pitchers in AL parks w/o the need to PH for the pitcher is pretty doable IMO. If they get into a long game or a starter gets blown-out and they use up the pen, they can always abandon the idea and go back to 12. The REds starters usually go deep in games.

Lutz and Partch down. Heisey and Soto up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

11 pitchers in AL parks w/o the need to PH for the pitcher is pretty doable IMO. If they get into a long game or a starter gets blown-out and they use up the pen, they can always abandon the idea and go back to 12. The REds starters usually go deep in games.

Lutz and Partch down. Heisey and Soto up.
    Especially with an off day on Thursday as well. But, it isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Especially with an off day on Thursday as well. But, it isn't going to happen.
    I didn't even realize they had another off day on Thursday. So I guess it's only 5 games with a DH. Still would have done it.

Bumping this to the top.
    Is it just me, or does Soto seem totally lost at the plate at the ML level?
    I guess he's young enough to keep in AAA a few more years, but unless he learns how to play great 3b (like Frazier/Hannahan level defense), I don't think he's going to make it. Even with good defense, not sure he'll be able to hit well enough to be a backup infielder.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Bumping this to the top.
    Is it just me, or does Soto seem totally lost at the plate at the ML level?
    I guess he's young enough to keep in AAA a few more years, but unless he learns how to play great 3b (like Frazier/Hannahan level defense), I don't think he's going to make it. Even with good defense, not sure he'll be able to hit well enough to be a backup infielder.
    Its not you at all..I personally dont see him as ever being an every day MLB player

The couple times I saw him it looked like he was told to swing really hard three times and see what happens. I don't know if that indicates his true skill or if he's just trying to make a splash.

1st pitch: Called strike
    2nd pitch: Breaking ball in dirt, swings
    3rd pitch: Called or swinging strike
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I really hope it's just jitters from trying to make a big impression. Otherwise he looks really bad up there.

Willie Mays was 0-12 and 1-26 to start his career. Just saying.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Willie Mays was 0-12 and 1-26 to start his career. Just saying.
    Senator, Neftali Soto is no Willie Mays
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Senator, Neftali Soto is no Willie Mays
    Although it's obvious that 757690 was saying Soto is better than Mays, I think it's premature to say that Soto isn't the next Willie Mays. Soto's so much better right now than Mays ever was, and it's not even close. Only time will tell if he can keep it up.

19. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2013),marcshoe (09-27-2013),reds44 (09-29-2013),Tom Servo (09-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?