Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Dickerson

Chris Dickerson

In 70 ABs in Cincinnati, Dickerson has posted a .329/.427/.700 line. It's a very small sample size and those numbers will come down for sure. My question is, with 24 games what does he have to do for you to hand him a starting spot next year? Or is there nothing he could do that would convince you that he's anything more than a 4th outfielder?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Dickerson

Dating back to July 1st, Dickerson has hit 13 homeruns in his last 199 atbats between Louisville and Cincinnati. He was always a guy who was considered to have good power potential and it appears something may finally be clicking for him. I know it's only been a small sample size but he has been very impressive, both defensively and offensively. He works the count deep every atbat and doesn't get himself out at the plate. He's nowhere near as good as his current numbers and he'll eventually drop off, but I think he's got a decent chance to be a platoon starter against right handed pitchers. An .800 OPS isn't out of the question from Dickerson IMO.

The thing I like is that even when you account for his good luck (ie. .419 BAPIP), he's still doing quite well.

Consider that his OBP is about 100 points higher than his batting average, and his ISOP is .371, that if he was spotted a more reasonable batting average of say, .250, he'd still post a split of .250/.350/.621

Now, obviously that power distribution is crazy for basically anyone, let alone Dickerson with his track record, but he's showing skills in the areas that he needs to improve on to be a legit starter. I think that his on base abilities are fairly reasonable, that if he can continue posting improved power numbers that he can succeed. He only needs to sustain a .420 or so SLG to make the rest of the package work.

Dickerson has always possessed terrific athletic tools, the question has always been whether he'd attain the necessary skills to exploit them. He's debunked a lot of junk I've heard - inability to make contact, slow bat, etc. He makes enough contact and his bat sure doesn't look at all slow to me. His defense is terrific. I'm ready to hand him a semi-starting role. Not necessarily a full time platoon but his splits ARE really divergent - to the point of being two completely different hitters and that to me is when you have to look for a complement to Chris who can take the starts against most lefty starters. That would be Freel in a perfect world, if Ryan could stay healthy enough to be relied on.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    In 70 ABs in Cincinnati, Dickerson has posted a .329/.427/.700 line. It's a very small sample size and those numbers will come down for sure. My question is, with 24 games what does he have to do for you to hand him a starting spot next year? Or is there nothing he could do that would convince you that he's anything more than a 4th outfielder?
    I think that the question is premature.

I believe that between now and next season that Bob Castellini and Walt Jocketty should do everything within their ability to acquire better talent all round to make the Reds equally competitive with Chicago, St. Louis, Houston and Milwaukee regardless of the position of the player or pitcher.

Because certainly Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston and St. Louis are not going to stop the bus and wait on the Reds to catch up, they will be out attempting to improve teams that are already better than the Reds.

Dickerson appears to be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere and surprises people...and wins a job.

I know the Reds have had a lot of those type of guys over the years but I think Dickerson is more Guillen than Hopper or Freel. I have never thought of Hopper or Freel as long-term starters. Dickerson makes me think that he can be. I'm too lazy to look but how does Dickerson compare to Dunn since the trade? (I love Dunn by the way so this isn't meant to be a bash on him)

I say give him a shot next year but add one outfielder this winter.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Dickerson appears to be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere and surprises people...and wins a job.
    Put him in the mix but don't make the same mistake made with Freel and now Keppenger. If a deal for a better outfielder comes along take it and Dickerson suddenely becomes a 4th outfielder who can actually do something or even trade bait.

He's earned himself a solid look-see in spring training with a leg up over the Stubbs, Dorns of the world. But I wouldn't pencil him in until he's proven he can adjust once the league adjusts to him.

He's certinally a more interesting outfield option than we've had reciently.

At this point, I think Dickerson is earning a spot on the team next year. On the team. Whether he is a starter depends on off-season acquisitions.

He also is increasing his trade value so he could go in a deal for a major player.

He strikes out a lot, but otherwise is a very impressive and athletic player.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post

I know the Reds have had a lot of those type of guys over the years but I think Dickerson is more Guillen than Hopper or Freel. I have never thought of Hopper or Freel as long-term starters. Dickerson makes me think that he can be. I'm too lazy to look but how does Dickerson compare to Dunn since the trade? (I love Dunn by the way so this isn't meant to be a bash on him)

I say give him a shot next year but add one outfielder this winter.
    Dunn: .279/.488/.492
    3 HR, 13 RBI, 1 SB

Dickerson: .329/.427/.700
    5 HR, 11 RBI, 5 SB

Dunn: .279/.488/.492
    3 HR, 13 RBI, 1 SB

Dickerson: .329/.427/.700
    5 HR, 11 RBI, 5 SB
    Were you asking about Dickerson in general or for a certain position such as LF or CF?

My question is, with 24 games what does he have to do for you to hand him a starting spot next year? Or is there nothing he could do that would convince you that he's anything more than a 4th outfielder?
    If he continues to show a very solid approach at the plate, then I think you have to consider him a starter next year. He has had very, very bad ABs, period. Still plenty of room out there for a big bat alongside him and Bruce.

we saw some other rookie have a real hot start earlier this year. Give the pitchers and scouting some time to get a book on him, although with the callups it may not be til next year.

He's our starting CF, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him become the best we've had since the late-blossoming Cameron. Yea, that's right, a poor man's LHH version of Mike Cameron, which I will take in CF 8 days a week. Of course, I've been a proponent of Dickerson as CF of the present/future since day 1... plenty of room for him to grow.
    Last edited by Stormy; 09-03-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What the heck has gotten into this kid?

I don't care what people say, Chris Dickerson has power. He just hit one 430 feet to left center. I'm sure he's going to struggle as pitchers learn his weaknesses, but given what he did in AAA, I'm quite optimistic that he's going to stick as a solid option in CF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?