Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The DNA is the only constant between this Morneau and the one we remember.
    are you looking at the second half and last 30 days numbers? He's one of the best in MLB if so.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    are you looking at the second half and last 30 days numbers? He's one of the best in MLB if so.
    .790 OPS in last 28 days. .749 in 2nd half.

He's on my fantasy team. I know all about him.

So good enough for 4th best of all the Reds on either number!
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

5. Likes:

Krawhitham (08-31-2013)

He's a good get for Alex Presley. He upgrades their roster. Every move doesn't need to be adding Willie Mays or Bob Gibson. Teams are fairly evenly matched. Incremental improvements may give a team the upper hand. Beats the heck out of watching from the sidelines IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Pirate fans are bursting at the seems with excitement. Neil Huntington has energized his already energized fanbase.

Pitt was getting .769 OpS out of 1b this year.

Did the extra attendance not allow for another extra few hundred thousand dollars?

It's kind of weird to think how much of this season hinges/hinged on the health and production of Ludwick. And how bad this organization's farm system is.

11. Likes:

Screwball (08-31-2013)

All these moves and the Reds remain all quiet on the mid-western front.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Trading off Alex Presley is hardly going all-in. They haven't moved top prospects for a rental to win now. They are making smart moves that help the now with little impact on the later IMO. The Reds could be making moves (though no need for Morneau) in the same manner, but I wonder how much the maxed out budget is stopping them.
    I think Morneau would have been a wonderful pickup for the Reds. He is a lefty hitter who plays a little outfield. Pirates intend to use him as a fourth outfielder.

Morneau could replace Xavier Paul. If I recalll, Morneau played with Votto in the WBC and could possibly give Votto a boost if they like each other.

As I said elsewhere, it's hard for me to see how the Reds are maxed out. We're talking about adding one sixth of a player's salary.

We can all speculate as to what the FO is thinking.

Morneau has basically stunk since his concussion issues. He is limited to playing "hitter" positions, but his bat is too "Travis Lee" at this point to make it work. The fielding stats also don't like him so much any more, which makes sense since he likely isn't the athlete he was at the beginning of his career.

Honestly, I think he'd work better on an AL team. I don't like him as a 4th OF'der because of his lack of versatility, and lack of bat to justify that. I don't consider this much of an add for the Pirates.

I appreciate the Pirates are doing their best to upgrade the margins of the roster, and I'm surprised Jock hasn't done much of the same since that is normally one of his calling cards, but of the names being bandied about, I don't think they are great fits on the Reds roster.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Morneau would have been a wonderful pickup for the Reds. He is a lefty hitter who plays a little outfield. Pirates intend to use him as a fourth outfielder.
    When you say a "little OF" you really mean a "little OF".

He's never played there in the majors.

OH, he did make 16 PO's in the rookie leagues back in 2000. 7 whole games worth.

He's a PH.

16. Likes:

edabbs44 (08-31-2013),Tom Servo (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    When you say a "little OF" you really mean a "little OF".

He's never played there in the majors.

OH, he did make 16 PO's in the rookie leagues back in 2000. 7 whole games worth.

He's a PH.
    When the Priates get to the WS he's a DH. - Neil Huntington playing Chess, while Jocketty plays Chutes and Ladders.

18. Likes:

malcontent (08-31-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    Shocked to read this little part of mlbtraderumors..
    The Dodgers signed Edinson Volquez shortly after he was cut loose by the Padres, but there were plenty of other suitors. The pitcher says that he chose L.A. over the Reds, Rays, Orioles, Phillies, and "a couple more" teams, tweets Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. Volquez added that he's willing to start or relieve for the Dodgers.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I half expected him to be brought back when I read San Diego cut him.

Name recognition is pretty powerful, but the Pirates really aren't getting a big upgrade here.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?