Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

Re: Dusty had a "mini-stroke"

Lets win the World Series for Dusty! This might be his last chance.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think this hurts our postseason chances
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Get well soon Dusty! Some things are more important than baseball.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Dusty may have pneumonia

Well, they need to take the whole thing this year and let him ride off into the sunset with a ring on his finger.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Any type of stroke is serious and needs to be taken in that manner. I will be surprised now if he comes back next season. TeamClark said it best in his post. The grind of the season is hard on a healthy man much less someone who has health issues. Dusty has had good long career as player and manager. I'm sure he is well set financially. The one thing that has eluded him has been getting that ring as a manager. This would the best way for him to retire is go out and win this year for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pressure of managing and the rigors of traveling have taken their toll on Dusty. This "scare" may have been the wake up call that baseball just is not all that important. He has a young son and a family that I'm sure he'd rather be around.

Getting off of planes at 3AM, a train wreck of sleep patterns, answering the same questions everyday to media, trying to win in the big leagues, it just goes on and on. There is a reason that they call it the "grind."

LaRussa was smart enough to go. Leyland will not be far behind. Cox had enough and so did Gaston. Even Francona realized he needed a break. Sometimes it's just not all it's cracked up to be.
    Excellent post. I don't see DB coming back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Dusty's condition is serious. It's really alarming that a man so young is having these problems. I mentioned this to my doctor today, and he said that Dusty has to be really careful from here on out. Blood thinners are a priority and less stress is recommended.

Wouldn't surprise me if he retires at the end of the season, but I hope not. No one should retire before they are ready. I don't think he's ready. He drives me nuts, but I hope he gets well, and manages for years to come.
    The man is 63. He's not exactly young.

I wonder if he is going to be able to manage without any problems. I'm no expert but I know some strokes cause memory loss. Will Dusty be able to function at full capacity if he's suffered memory loss. Even his biggest supporters will agree that he manages more on instinct than relying on the data at hand. If this stroke is going to give him problems with his memory, I think the Reds will have to find a new manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's interesting that he had a stroke on Friday yet they were OK releasing him on Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's interesting that he had a stroke on Friday yet they were OK releasing him on Sunday morning.
    My dad had one of those mini-strokes earlier this year and he was out of the hospital within a day or so.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The man is 63. He's not exactly young.

I wonder if he is going to be able to manage without any problems. I'm no expert but I know some strokes cause memory loss. Will Dusty be able to function at full capacity if he's suffered memory loss. Even his biggest supporters will agree that he manages more on instinct than relying on the data at hand. If this stroke is going to give him problems with his memory, I think the Reds will have to find a new manager.
    From reading the article, while the word "stroke" always sounds serious, it appears that it was taken care of immediately and that a full recovery is expected. It doesn't sound like the level of stroke that evokes memory loss due to loss of brain functions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I am not one to play the media ignores us card but am i the only one who doesnt think think this would be getting alot more attention if this was the Yankees or Red Sox?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    My dad had one of those mini-strokes earlier this year and he was out of the hospital within a day or so.
    So you're a great source. How's he done? Has it changed his life at all?

I think it may be better that it's not getting more attention. Dusty certainly deserves national respect, but maybe less attention on it will be less stressful to him.

Also, perhaps it will make it less of a distraction for the team.

Maybe this time it is good to be the "small market"

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not one to play the media ignores us card but am i the only one who doesnt think think this would be getting alot more attention if this was the Yankees or Red Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think it may be better that it's not getting more attention. Dusty certainly deserves national respect, but maybe less attention on it will be less stressful to him.

Also, perhaps it will make it less of a distraction for the team.

Maybe this time it is good to be the "small market"
    Agree, this however is arguably the best team in baseball and Dustys situation is getting very little attention.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

True. I'm sure if Girardi or Bobby V suffered this, we'd have a SportsCenter special edition with all sorts of doctors being interviewed and medical diagrams being displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Agree, this however is arguably the best team in baseball and Dustys situation is getting very little attention.

Turn Off Ads?