Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

Re: Drew Stubbs....

Well, I was visiting minorleaguesplits to talk about Cozart, and I just thought why not pull up Stubbs.

Don't look now, and take it for what its worth.. but here are some interesting numbers..

Stubbs OPS in June is now at .875. His SLG is down but he's posting his best OBP for the month so far this year at .426. Interestingly, he has only K'd 10 times this month. He K'd 28 times in April and 31 in May.

He's also struggling mightly at home - like Cozart with a .680 OPS at home, compared to .911 away.. not sure if there's anything to make of that due to the sample size, but might be worth noting.

Overall he has a .797 OPS so far on the year.

Its still too early in my mind to make a judgement about Stubbs. I think he's certainly had his moments, both good and bad. But, once again - I think its far too early and foolish to call him a B U S T.

He's got a long ways to go, and may not be the player we had hoped, and may not live up to his "draft slot", and he's never going to be Tim Lincecum.. but I don't think any of that has anything to do with him being a good player.

It will be interesting to keep tracking his progress, lookin forward to it.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    IsoP = total bases % after removing the first base which represents the hit in BA. It isolates the "extra" bases acquired in hitting after first base which is awarded in every type of hit. It measures a player's power when he makes contact regardless of the frequency of said contact.

IsoD is avoiding outs or acquiring bases without swinging if you like. Both imply good strike zone recognition and the discipline to not swing at non strikes.
    But what does it all mean Bazzel???
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I know Stubbs is still a ways off from the majors, but is he really any worse than what Patterson is?

I dont think so.. in fact, I think you have to be one helluva player to be worse than Patterson.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So it would actually be wise to have higher contact guys ahead of those who are proficient in slugging, right? At least that's what seems logical to me.
    Don't focus on the outs, focus on the non-outs. Put players with high OBs up in front of players with high SLGs (and hopefully good OBs too) and that's the best formula for scoring runs. Whether it's a high K or high contact OB guy doesn't matter. Seriously, it doesn't matter.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I know Stubbs is still a ways off from the majors, but is he really any worse than what Patterson is?
    Just a guess, but I figure Patterson would be the runaway MVP winner of the FSL if he played there. Note how Patterson had his way in his short spell in AAA. Stubbs is a long way from the majors and he's looking at three massive degree of difficulty leaps along the way. It's why a .750-.800 OPS in A+ ball probably isn't enough of a cushion to carry him successfully into the majors.

He needs to play better, think .850+, in order to stay productive when better opposition starts to cut into his numbers. Maybe he's teasing that now, but he's teased it before and it's yet to develop into anything lasting. Against better pitching it's his slumps which stand to get deeper and more prolonged, not his hot streaks. I hope he does develop the consistency he's going to need to be a major leaguer. What that consistency will look like is getting that OPS well north of .800 and keeping it there for the rest of the season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Just a guess, but I figure Patterson would be the runaway MVP winner of the FSL if he played there. Note how Patterson had his way in his short spell in AAA. Stubbs is a long way from the majors and he's looking at three massive degree of difficulty leaps along the way. It's why a .750-.800 OPS in A+ ball probably isn't enough of a cushion to carry him successfully into the majors.

He needs to play better, think .850+, in order to stay productive when better opposition starts to cut into his numbers. Maybe he's teasing that now, but he's teased it before and it's yet to develop into anything lasting. Against better pitching it's his slumps which stand to get deeper and more prolonged, not his hot streaks. I hope he does develop the consistency he's going to need to be a major leaguer. What that consistency will look like is getting that OPS well north of .800 and keeping it there for the rest of the season.
    Good point(s). It does seem like at the very least that Stubbs' has a better eye at the plate since he can take walks whereas Patterson is an out machine. I'm guessing his defense is a little bit better as well. I'd just really like to see the Reds move Stubbs to AA and see what happens there. I think it's time to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Don't focus on the outs, focus on the non-outs. Put players with high OBs up in front of players with high SLGs (and hopefully good OBs too) and that's the best formula for scoring runs. Whether it's a high K or high contact OB guy doesn't matter. Seriously, it doesn't matter.
    No I get that completely. What I mean when I argue that point is, in a perfect world you want High OBP + High contact types up at the top. Or to put it in a different way, I want the least flawed of my hitter's from top to bottom but based on what correlates to better run scoring. I say flawed because no matter how good, no one is perfect.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The guy is Older than most players he is playing against and his stats are still sub-par...

That is the most telling set of stats...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    The guy is Older than most players he is playing against and his stats are still sub-par...

That is the most telling set of stats...
    Actually, from what I've read, he's at the average age of people in his league. Also, his stats are above average.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Actually, from what I've read, he's at the average age of people in his league. Also, his stats are above average.
    What's the average level of top ten picks in their third professional year? Now top 10 college picks?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    What's the average level of top ten picks in their third professional year? Now top 10 college picks?
    Which again has little to do with the set of circumstances. Drew wasn't like most college first rounders. He wasn't polished. He was quite raw with lots of athleticism.

I don't really see the relevance of the argument so long as Stubbs turns out to be a good player. Players develop at different rates. Sure, the ideal scenario is the develop quickly, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I'll take a good player who takes longer to develop any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which again has little to do with the set of circumstances. Drew wasn't like most college first rounders. He wasn't polished. He was quite raw with lots of athleticism.
    Except that he was a 1rd pick, and got millions.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't really see the relevance of the argument so long as Stubbs turns out to be a good player. Players develop at different rates. Sure, the ideal scenario is the develop quickly, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I'll take a good player who takes longer to develop any day of the week.
    I don't mind longer from a 5th round HS pick. A 1st rd. college pick has a different set of expectations.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Except that he was a 1rd pick, and got millions.
    Which has what to do with the anything? Is he getting better should be the only question that matters at this point.

Turn Off Ads?