Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Bench

Our Bench

Our entire current bench has 6 XBH in 250 or so PAs. Nobody with an OPS+ over 87 (Robinson) and a total combined WAR of 0.1.

I think it's time to try out Felix Perez, Henry Rodriguez, Billy Hamilton, or any number of other options. Could they be worse?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Our Bench

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Our entire current bench has 6 XBH in 250 or so PAs. Nobody with an OPS+ over 87 (Robinson) and a total combined WAR of 0.1.

I think it's time to try out Felix Perez, Henry Rodriguez, Billy Hamilton, or any number of other options. Could they be worse?
    I think H-Rod would be better at the dish than Hannahan, but his defense is sub-par.

Perez (for Robinson) actually makes the team more LH (who thought that would ever be a concern). They definitely could replace Lutz with Perez, but I think they're high on Lutz and see a future for him, perhaps as a starter. As much as I like Lutz, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Perez get a shot.

I don't think the Reds will bring up Hamilton until September.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

4. Likes:

powersackers (05-25-2013)

I would say most teams are not going to have players with great numbers on the bench or else they would not be on the bench. I would count Paul as a bench guy as its not like he is starting everyday, and will certainly be on bench once everyone is healthy.

Reds Pinch Hitters have 2nd highest OPS in NL. Don't really see bench as a big concern right now.

6. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post

Yes, they could. I wonder about adding a 3rd catcher so Mesoraco could be utilized more. He's clearly the best hitter of all the bench guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Remember that when Heisey and Ludwick come back, Xavier Paul and/or Heisey will add to the bench PH strength.

10. Likes:

Felix Perez actually has a .918 OPS against left-handers, higher than his OPS against righties, which is also very good however. So perhaps he doesn't make us quite so much more left-handed as it might seem.

12. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Felix Perez actually has a .918 OPS against left-handers, higher than his OPS against righties, which is also very good however. So perhaps he doesn't make us quite so much more left-handed as it might seem.
    I didn't know that. I really want him up here. Wonder if Dusty considers all LHP worthless vs Loogy's or if he actually looks at their numbers vs. LHP.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just curious, where do you get MiLB splits?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I think H-Rod would be better at the dish than Hannahan, but his defense is sub-par.

Perez (for Robinson) actually makes the team more LH (who thought that would ever be a concern). They definitely could replace Lutz with Perez, but I think they're high on Lutz and see a future for him, perhaps as a starter. As much as I like Lutz, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Perez get a shot.

I don't think the Reds will bring up Hamilton until September.
    I've actually been mostly pleased with Robinson so far, even though he has a limited skill set. That said, he appears to be the guy to release off the 40 man to make way for Felix Perez, and I think it may be high time to do it.
    I might be getting my story wrong, but wasn't he considered a top flight international signing until it was revealed he was about 2.5 years older than the Yankees thought. Point is, the guy has a pedigree, he's been tearing up AAA since mid 2012, isn't worth callong him up and throwing him against the wall to see if he sticks?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Heisey for Lutz when healthy
    HRod for Izturis
    Felix Perez for Robinson

Bench:

Mesoraco
    Hannahan
    Heisey
    H Rodriguez
    F Perez

Bench would be balanced, 2 RH's, 2 LH's and a switch hitter

Hannahan and HRod could play SS for a game or two when Cozart needs a day off. Plus Heisey and Perez can play all 3 OF spots, so this group would make the bench more potent
    Last edited by Red Swagger; 05-25-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Just curious, where do you get MiLB splits?
    MiLB.com has the splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Heisey for Lutz when healthy
    HRod for Izturis
    Felix Perez for Robinson

Bench:

Mesoraco
    Hannahan
    Heisey
    H Rodriguez
    F Perez

Bench would be balanced, 2 RH's, 2 LH's and a switch hitter

Hannahan and HRod could play SS for a game or two when Cozart needs a day off. Plus Heisey and Perez can play all 3 OF spots, so this group would make the bench more potent
    Reds are not going without a backup middle infielder IMO. We discuss this every year, it never happens, it won't happen. And HRod plays the same position as Hannahan, he's not coming up unless an emergency in my view.

The current bench is fine IMO with one exception. I would send Lutz down and bring up Soto or pick up a veteran righty hitter. The bench is overly left handed and lacks righty power.

Izturis is a very accomplished middle infielder; Hannahan will hit more with more chances; Mes is fine; DRobinson adds a dimension with speed and defensive ability. The Lutz spot would be better served with a good righty bat.

Reds will probably just wait for Heisey to fill that spot, hopefully he will start hitting.

I could see the Reds eventually replacing BOTH Lutz and DRob with more accomplished bats. That would add more offense although it might not provide much defense.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    MiLB.com has the splits.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I've actually been mostly pleased with Robinson so far, even though he has a limited skill set. That said, he appears to be the guy to release off the 40 man to make way for Felix Perez, and I think it may be high time to do it.
    I might be getting my story wrong, but wasn't he considered a top flight international signing until it was revealed he was about 2.5 years older than the Yankees thought. Point is, the guy has a pedigree, he's been tearing up AAA since mid 2012, isn't worth callong him up and throwing him against the wall to see if he sticks?
    I forgot Felix isn't on the 40-man.

I like Robinson too much to drop him off it. There's some pitching staff chaff that should go first, IMO. And I'd actually just option Lutz instead.

From the eye test I thought our bench was doing just fine. But then I looked up the numbers...

Reds Pinch Hitters are .300/.342/.457

Which is 1st/1st/2nd in the NL, respectively. We are 2nd in SLG and OPS to Atlanta.

*EDIT: We are also have the most pinch-hit RBI's*

Usually the objective of a PH is not to get an out. That's it. Any extra bases are just gravy in this sense.

I'd love to see what our minor leaguers can do, but I think we will have to wait until September for that
    Last edited by MrRedLegger; 05-25-2013 at 04:13 PM.

22. Likes:

redsmetz (05-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?