Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Priorities

Re: Offseason Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Anyone know what happened to Chris Coughlan? At this point it looks like Miami would give him away for the proverbial bag of balls.

He's carrying a .350 lifetime OBP against RHP. A former ROY, he looks kinda like a WJ pickup. He's more of a corner but could be a good bench guy if nothing else.
    Sent to the minors this year. He's in a Stubbs like decline. He's a suspect IMO.

Since we're throwing out names, I would like to see Wilson Betemit for the Cairo role. He could spell Frazier at 3B against RHP or free Frazier to play in the OF. Betemit is a Switch Hitter who is much better hitting Left Handed against RHP. In 2012 he hit .302/.357/.502/859 in 280 PAs against RHP. For his career .281/.349/.474/.824 in 1757 PAs. He's not much of a defender. Below average at 3B, pretty rough at SS, not much to go on in the OF. Manny Machado at 3B and Markakis and Reimold coming back in the OF to push Chris Davis to DH, probably makes Betemit a guy they'd move for little. His offensive profile is just what the Dr. ordered for the Red's offense and the ability to move Frazier to the OF mix may help if Ludwick can't be retained. He's signed for $1.75 Million in 2013 and has an option for $3.2 Million for 2014. The option vests with 324 PAs or more in 2013. That's probably a reason the O's would move him for spare parts, but the kind of cheap production the Reds need with core players' costs going up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sent to the minors this year. He's in a Stubbs like decline. He's a suspect IMO.

Since we're throwing out names, I would like to see Wilson Betemit for the Cairo role. He could spell Frazier at 3B against RHP or free Frazier to play in the OF. Betemit is a Switch Hitter who is much better hitting Left Handed against RHP. In 2012 he hit .302/.357/.502/859 in 280 PAs against RHP. For his career .281/.349/.474/.824 in 1757 PAs. He's not much of a defender. Below average at 3B, pretty rough at SS, not much to go on in the OF. Manny Machado at 3B and Markakis and Reimold coming back in the OF to push Chris Davis to DH, probably makes Betemit a guy they'd move for little. His offensive profile is just what the Dr. ordered for the Red's offense and the ability to move Frazier to the OF mix may help if Ludwick can't be retained. He's signed for $1.75 Million in 2013 and has an option for $3.2 Million for 2014. The option vests with 324 PAs or more in 2013. That's probably a reason the O's would move him for spare parts, but the kind of cheap production the Reds need with core players' costs going up.

I said in another thread (or possibly this one - I lose track), I'd like to see them take a shot at Kelly Johnson to BU 2nd, 3rd and LF. Frazier at 3B, Ludwick in LF and Johnson backing both would hunt.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    An excellent target and fit for the Reds.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...edium=facebook

The Dodgers made headlines this season when they signed Andre Ethier to a five-year, $85MM extension. ESPN's Buster Olney reports that now, just months later, the team is open to the concept of trading their slugging right fielder (Twitter link).

Trading a player recently signed to such a large contract would be virtually unprecedented, though it would make previous reports that the team could retain Shane Victorino more logical.

The 30-year-old Ethier hit .284/.351/.460 with 20 home runs in 2012. Despite that production, there would be many deterrents for teams that show interest. Ethier struggled mightily against left-handed pitching, triple-slashing just .222/.276/.330 against southpaws. He'll be 31 years old on April 10 next season, and he will be 35 years of age when his $85MM extension expires. Beyond that, defensive metrics such as UZR and the Fielding Bible have never been fans of his glovework (though he has one Gold Glove under his belt).
    Ethier could be a nice option for LF for the Reds if Ludwick walks and the Dodgers eat part of the money.

What would it take to get it done, and would you?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Furthermore, the Angels are rumored to be looking to trade one or both of Dan Haren and Ervin Santana. Santana doesn't do much for me, but Haren could be nice, assuming his performance this season wasn't due to anything that will be a lasting issue.
    Long live punishment

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Man, this Reds offseason has the Reds in the drivers seat for possible some interesting moves.

David Wright anyone?

If this were to happen, I would not be able to contain my excitement.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...for-cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    David Wright anyone?

If this were to happen, I would not be able to contain my excitement.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...for-cincinnati
    Well, the Mets picked up his option for 2013.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...tion-exercised
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...edium=facebook

Ethier could be a nice option for LF for the Reds if Ludwick walks and the Dodgers eat part of the money.

What would it take to get it done, and would you?
    Pass. He's not a bad player, but he's especially good either. And that contract all but guarantees him playing time. Having a position like LF locked up by a mediocre player represents a large opportunity cost to recognize upside through an unanticipated opportunity. And that's to say nothing of the real likelihood of decline.

We're looking a 4 years and $71MM for a 3 win LF at the tail end of his peak. Cut that $71MM down to $40MM and you're still looking a guy who would be the 4th highest paid player on the team behind Votto, Arroyo and BP.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-31-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If they can't resign Ludwick, how about Youkilis at 3b and Frazier in LF?

It doesn't answer the CF problem but its a start.

I like Ethier, but he can't hit lefties. At all.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like Ethier, but he can't hit lefties. At all.
    I agree with you and RMR, but...

One could argue that is exactly the guy the Reds need- a guy who smashes RHP.

I bet both the Reds and Dodgers know that he sucks eggs against lefties.

Maybe he could be had for a haul similar to that which was traded for Ervin Santana, and maybe the Dodgers pay part of it... or that's the only way that I see it happening, rather.
    Long live punishment

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Pass. He's not a bad player, but he's especially good either.
    What exactly does a guy have to do for you not to take a dump on him?

I wouldn't go after Wright because Frazier is inexpensive and good (though only three years younger than Wright), but there's a dearth of 3Bs out there. Yet David Wright was one of the best players in baseball last season. If he's not especially good, then almost no one is.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What exactly does a guy have to do for you not to take a dump on him?

I wouldn't go after Wright because Frazier is inexpensive and good (though only three years younger than Wright), but there's a dearth of 3Bs out there. Yet David Wright was one of the best players in baseball last season. If he's not especially good, then almost no one is.
    He was referring to Ethier.

I think everyone likes Wright in a vacuum.

Turn Off Ads?