Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Reds window is closing

Looks like the Reds window is closing

2 and a half good bats in the lineup and not much in the way of payroll to go get somebody.

Could be a long year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looks like the Reds window is closing

Just stay healthy. Last 2 times the reds have done that, we've won the division.

4. Likes:

villain612 (12-25-2013)

I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. There are certainly some ifs....but if they stay mostly healthy they'll be competing for the division. Pittsburgh hasn't improved and Saint Louis will find it hard to replicate last years hitting with RISP. Nobody in the Central has made changes that scream "we're running away". I'm not extremely optimistic but I'm not calling for a trainwreck either.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-23-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (12-30-2013)

This just might be that offseason of little to nothing, unlike the last couple of years.

We may depend on a 2012 Ludwick, and a Cozart/Mesoraco/Frazier development hitting wise that we caught a glimpse of later in the year last year. While the pitching keeps us in the games most of the year while those 3 develop. I think Votto will come back with better stat line, Bruce about the same as well as BP.

I don't expect much out of Hamilton to be honest...and that could be the position of desperation in season, trying out guys at leadoff/CF, then finally trade Bailey for that position, maybe somebody also that will be a free agent at end of next year.

Maybe just maybe...we are less than inspired in the offseason, but actually excited from in house development in the lineup that leads to an actual playoff series win.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. There are certainly some ifs....but if they stay mostly healthy they'll be competing for the division. Pittsburgh hasn't improved and Saint Louis will find it hard to replicate last years hitting with RISP. Nobody in the Central has made changes that scream "we're running away". I'm not extremely optimistic but I'm not calling for a trainwreck either.
    The Cardinals filled their one glaring hole with one of the best offensive short stop's in the game. They will be the clear cut favorite.

Yep it's over. The Reds should just trade Votto, Bailey, Cueto, Phillips, Latos, Bruce, Chapman, Marshall, Leake, and Hamilton. Then just forfeit the season and pocket the money.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcomo View Post
    2 and a half good bats in the lineup and not much in the way of payroll to go get somebody.

Could be a long year.

When you have Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani and a good bullpen-- your going to be in contention.

Reds window is for 2 more years. After 2015, Cueto, Latos and Leake are all FA's, and Bailey may not be with the team anymore. The 2016 Reds could look alot different depending on what pitchers stay and who goes. $110mm payroll @ the moment, and they can't really afford $50mm + a year to have Bailey/Cueto all signed long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    When you have Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani and a good bullpen-- your going to be in contention.

Reds window is for 2 more years. After 2015, Cueto, Latos and Leake are all FA's, and Bailey may not be with the team anymore. The 2016 Reds could look alot different depending on what pitchers stay and who goes. $110mm payroll @ the moment, and they can't really afford $50mm + a year to have Bailey/Cueto all signed long term.
    It's a good team, but is it good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    It's a good team, but is it good enough?
    That's my thoughts. This team is close. Just a player or two away and maybe a vet. player to light a fire under under the current players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post

Do the Reds have a good bullpen though (Chapman not withstanding)?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotly View Post
    That's my thoughts. This team is close. Just a player or two away and maybe a vet. player to light a fire under under the current players.
    You know I thought Choo was that player this time last year when they got him. But then we had Ludwick go down and Cueto, Marshall, and Broxton. Health is the key for this window. They could be healthy and the Cards could have injury trouble. If the Reds stay healthy they'll contend for the division. Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani, Leake with Marshall, Hoover and Chapman in the pen will produce a lot of pitching victories. Weak offense or not teams will consider each series with the Reds a tough series.

I am unclear here, We have the best 1st basemen in the NL, the best 2nd Basemen in the NL, the best RF in the NL, One of the top 2-3 rotations in the NL, a quality defensive SS with a fair bat a nice young maturing 3rd basemen. We have the makings of a nice young productive Catcher and a LF looking at proving something. Our bullpen is solid. The ONLY question mark on this team is CF. How exactly is the window closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I am unclear here, We have the best 1st basemen in the NL, the best 2nd Basemen in the NL, the best RF in the NL, One of the top 2-3 rotations in the NL, a quality defensive SS with a fair bat a nice young maturing 3rd basemen. We have the makings of a nice young productive Catcher and a LF looking at proving something. Our bullpen is solid. The ONLY question mark on this team is CF. How exactly is the window closing?
    Your glass is really half full. Why cant the Reds move the best 2nd baseman in baseball when they tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Depends on your definition of "best", but IMO, we did not have the best 1B and 2B in the NL last year. In the case of 2B, I don't even think we had the best 2B in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Your glass is really half full. Why cant the Reds move the best 2nd baseman in baseball when they tried?
    Simple, to many years on his deal. The 3rd and 4th year remaining on deal is the breaker to alot of teams.

Turn Off Ads?