Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 51.1 million

Senor Votto

Re: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 42 million

I just can't wait till he's a flop so it'll make the media eat their words. I've never seen the guy pitch so I don't have an opinion about him. But I'm almost positive he's not worth 51 million that they bid.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    anyone else tired of hearing about the hype surrounding him? clearly he has been a stud overseas and he may well be a stud in the MLB too. however, until he pitches a season (or seasons), i'm tired of hearing about him until he proves his worth.

of course, the media hype isn't his fault, but still...

You're right..and i hope fans remember this..it isnt his fault that people hype him up over here. I would hate to see a young pitcher from Japan come here and suffer unfair resentment for financial reasons plus get racial slurs like BH Kim did in boston and NY

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    I would hate to see a young pitcher from Japan come here and suffer unfair resentment for financial reasons plus get racial slurs like BH Kim did in boston and NY
    I can't speak for BH Kim's reception in Boston or NY, but Hideki Matsui and Chien-Ming Wang both have no issues in NY. Hideki loves living in NY, from what I've read.

Kaz Matsui got booed with the Mets, but it was performance related, not race related.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I just can't wait till he's a flop so it'll make the media eat their words. I've never seen the guy pitch so I don't have an opinion about him. But I'm almost positive he's not worth 51 million that they bid.

The 51M is capital investment/improvement for the Red Sox. Essentially, they are buying into the Japanese market to expand their brand. That's all the 51M represents. Whatever they pay him in terms of a contract, that's his worth.

It's a great business move for the Red Sox. Even if they can't reach an agreement, they block him from entering the league for a year, AND they get the 51M back. Theo's finally attempted to redeem himself after jumping ship in the gorilla suit.

I wonder if the Sox will get a discount on Matzsuzaka after they make a big-time offer to Bora-client, J.D. Drew? Drew backed out of 3 yrs-$33M, so he must have had some idea that a team would offer him a bigger deal if he went the FA route. To date, the Red Sox have shown the most interest.

Why don't foreign born players like this guy go through the draft?

I agree, I think they should have to go through the draft & go through arbitration, etc. like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    At this point, it's all the Newston Redskees to me.
    The ESPN Yank Sox?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I'm not sure where the "pot-kettle" comment is directed. But it should be directed at the Sox, who at the trading deadline brought out the hankies and violins to explain that they couldn't trade for Bobby Abreu because "we're not the Yankees."
    I thought it was obvious that's where it was directed.

I always get a kick out Sox fans when the pull the "poor, little us" routine.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought it was obvious that's where it was directed.

I always get a kick out Sox fans when the pull the "poor, little us" routine.

Sometimes obvious flies right past me...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I agree, I think they should have to go through the draft & go through arbitration, etc. like everyone else.
    Not enough incentive for them to come over here that way. They spend 9 years working their way up the food chain in Japan, reach free agency so they can be in control of their own fate, and then come over here to be treated like powerless rookies all over again? Now, granted, this whole posting system has enough holes to drive a truck through it, and I think they should do it differently or not at all, but Hideki Matsui, for example, would have never stepped foot in the US if not for teams here being willing to give him more money than what he could have made by staying home. And there's certainly no incentive for the Japanese league to allow their own young, unproven talent to be drafted into the MLB draft instead of their own. That would be suicide for them.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

hollywood mid westerner

I can't speak for BH Kim's reception in Boston or NY, but Hideki Matsui and Chien-Ming Wang both have no issues in NY. Hideki loves living in NY, from what I've read.

Kaz Matsui got booed with the Mets, but it was performance related, not race related.
    My sister lives in downtown Boston and has season tix to Fenway and she told me how she would hear the fans just lay into BH Kim about being asian while he was in the bullpen.

Which is why he flipped off that fan a few years ago, then got shipped out about a month or two later.

My sister lives in downtown Boston and has season tix to Fenway and she told me how she would hear the fans just lay into BH Kim about being asian while he was in the bullpen.

Which is why he flipped off that fan a few years ago, then got shipped out about a month or two later.

Boston has a reputation for being racially intolerant. I was speaking more about NY. I don't recall Kim having issues there except for giving up walk-off HRs.

hollywood mid westerner

Boston has a reputation for being racially intolerant. I was speaking more about NY. I don't recall Kim having issues there except for giving up walk-off HRs.
    lol ever sat with the bronx and jersey guido's in the upper deck of yankee stadium? they'll say anything about your race if you are doing terrible that particular game.

i've heard a lot in my lifetime about asian players and hispanics even in Yankee and Riverfront and Jacobs field..Obviously cuz I sat in the cheap seats where people are a bit drunker but still.. fans will say anything..my fraternity brothers use to drop N bombs all the time at Cinergy Field in the stands..

lol ever sat with the bronx and jersey guido's in the upper deck of yankee stadium? they'll say anything about your race if you are doing terrible that particular game.
    Oh, the irony...

not to mention the charm.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?