"Man the dope's that there's still hope"
    - Springsteen

"For what are we
    Without hope in our hearts
    That someday we'll drink from God's blessed waters
    And eat the fruit from the vine
    I know love and fortune will be mine "
    - Springsteen again

Otter: I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
    Bluto: And we're just the guys to do it.

Hopefully "really futile and stupid gesture" does not describe any Reds move this week.
    Last edited by klw; 07-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds should do better now

I can live with futile.
    Stupid, I would avoid.
    Gesture, would at least be something different.
    Really is just an extra adjective.

Go Reds

No matter who they play, the other teams still have pitchers and the Reds have guys who have forgotten how to swing a bat and a GM who I swear I saw on a milk carton at the grocery store.
    Where we gonna go?

I'm pretty sure Soto can't hit at the Major League level, and I have no idea whether Navarro or Perez have any chance whatsoever, but I'd rather watch some different guys stink for a while.

The paralysis gripping this club from a personnel perspective is just perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Soto can't hit at the Major League level, and I have no idea whether Navarro or Perez have any chance whatsoever, but I'd rather watch some different guys stink for a while.

The paralysis gripping this club from a personnel perspective is just perplexing.
    Has the "paralysis" (to use your term) been just a matter of philosophy? Continuity and patience?

Has it been a lack of cash? Hard to believe they can't make modest moves, they did just pay Bailey a ton of dough.

I'd say perhaps it's bad deals being rejected, but other teams make deals. Maybe they are overvaluing their prospects, but you'd think by now they could have done something.

I'm equally perplexed. Hopefully in the next few days with the deadline, they'll break the ice. Or maybe they'll explain if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Has the "paralysis" (to use your term) been just a matter of philosophy? Continuity and patience?
    I would love to know.

Has it been a lack of cash? Hard to believe they can't make modest moves, they did just pay Bailey a ton of dough.
    I see no reason Perez and Soto would be a service time issue, maybe they think Navarro is something? Money shouldn't keep a club from making internal moves (e.g., to make sure you have a full complement of bench players or a single guy who can field first base).

I'd say perhaps it's bad deals being rejected, but other teams make deals. Maybe they are overvaluing their prospects, but you'd think by now they could have done something.
    One thing with Jocketty is that he doesn't fetishize prospects. He had apparently no qualms about emptying the farm for Latos, including three first round picks, and regularly made aggressive deals to add proven major leaguers in St. Louis. (Which, coupled with bad drafts, hastened his downfall there, but still).

As for this year, I remember hearing C. Trent and Egger on one of Trent's podcasts talking about how Castellini was an eternal optimist when it came to the Reds and (at the time the club was struggling) probably firmly believed they would compete for a title with Votto and Phillips healthy. I think that's the problem. I don't think Castellini has any interest or inclination whatsoever to sell, even bit parts. Even a "strategic withdrawal" is probably not an option he'd countenance. And, probably, in previous years, they didn't add to the team because they thought they had enough if everyone performed to the best-case scenario.

Re: Reds should do better now - update

Reds record in this "weaker opponent" stretch so far is v. Arizona 1-2, v. Marlins 3-2, v. Indians 3-1.

So far Reds are 7-5 in this stretch with 2 more against Miami, 2 against Red Sox, and then 4 in Colorado.

After that stretch Reds play many series against their competitors in division and WC race, beginning with Cards and Braves. Would like to see the Reds a bit closer when the head to head matchups begin, so a good record in the next 8 against Marlins, Red Sox and Rockies seems important.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?