Jay Bruce 9
    Scott Rolen 5
    Drew Stubbs 8
    Ryan Hanigan 2
    Johnny Cueto 1

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Red v. Fish Saturday 9/15

Will Stubbs make it to 100 hits this season? Baker must think he will.

Valdez: .196 .223 .214 .437

My guess is Stubbs will start at CF in every big park from here on out, including the first 2 in San Francisco if that's how it plays out.

It would be a nice time for Cueto to have a good game. I'd hate for him to go into the playoffs on a bad note.

Also, have there been any updates on Cozart?

And my guess is that Stubbs has caught 1 ball in the last month that others wouldn't have.

It's been beyond a joke for over a month.

No doubles or homers in over 100 AB? How is that even possible?

Management values defense on this team, we're built around it. Not saying I agree with it, just saying that Stubbs will most likely be in there whenever we play in big parks.

Playing six on nine is always a good idea. Stubbs and Valdez. The joke is on us. And make sure you put the major league's weakest bat in the two-slot. So he gets up a lot. Who will finish higher in OPS this year? Votto at 1.049 or Stubbs+Valdez at 1.067. It could go down to the wire.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.

I do believe Stubbs will get a hit today. I do believe, I do believe, I do believe.

I don't really believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Management values defense on this team, we're built around it. Not saying I agree with it, just saying that Stubbs will most likely be in there whenever we play in big parks.
    I know why Dusty is doing it....I don't get his basis for it. In 6 weeks Stubbs has thrown out 1 runner and I can't think of one play that he made that doesn't get made by anyone else. What are these defensive merits Dusty is using?

Metrics? Stats? Arm?....what? He looks better catching routine balls? Prettier in the gaps? Dusty's decision on this is atrocious....and backed by nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I do believe Stubbs will get a hit today. I do believe, I do believe, I do believe.

I don't really believe that.
    I hope he gets 3 hits, but then again I'd rather not watch a 45 inning game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I hope he gets 3 hits, but then again I'd rather not watch a 45 inning game.
    It would take a 56 inning game! He has 3 hits total in his last 8 games and I'm not counting games he did not have an AB in. 7 games with 3 or more AB's and 1 game with 1 AB.
    His totals for those last 8 games:
    3 Hits
    3 Walks
    1 Run scored
    0 RBI's
    But only 7K's
    His BA pre and post the all-star break is exactly the same .215

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I know why Dusty is doing it....I don't get his basis for it. In 6 weeks Stubbs has thrown out 1 runner and I can't think of one play that he made that doesn't get made by anyone else. What are these defensive merits Dusty is using?

Metrics? Stats? Arm?....what? He looks better catching routine balls? Prettier in the gaps? Dusty's decision on this is atrocious....and backed by nothing.
    The only real game changing play that comes to mind is the crazy double play that really wasn't against Philly. Stubbs made that close enough to fool the umps, but I have no idea if Heisey gets that close or not so it's impossible to compare.

Again, I'm not arguing that it's the right decision by any means, just saying that it isn't surprising. Dusty has said numerous times that he wants Stubbs to patrol big outfields.

I know he's the punching bag lately for good reason, but our teams recent offensive woes are way bigger than him and even Valdez. We have quite a few guys who are slumping.

The only real game changing play that comes to mind is the crazy double play that really wasn't against Philly. Stubbs made that close enough to fool the umps, but I have no idea if Heisey gets that close or not so it's impossible to compare.

Again, I'm not arguing that it's the right decision by any means, just saying that it isn't surprising. Dusty has said numerous times that he wants Stubbs to patrol big outfields.

I know he's the punching bag lately for good reason, but our teams recent offensive woes are way bigger than him and even Valdez. We have quite a few guys who are slumping.
    He fooled them because every other CF dives for that ball and 1/2 of them catch it.

His best play in 6 weeks was a scooped ball.

And I'm not arguing with you. You are a good positive fan. I was an outfielder and love outfield play. I say no basis for Dusty's decision and it just kills me. I'll leave it be the rest of the thread.

Go Reds!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

The icing is watching Stubbs after his outs. Body language speaks volumes, at least in this case.

Duhhhsty STRIKES AGAIN!

Turn Off Ads?