Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Re: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Not only will the experience and wisdom help, but let's not forget that he's still learning how to use his secondary pitches. Pretty darn impressive; I hope it keeps up.
    I liked that breaking ball K he had on the outside corner to Ramirez looking last night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Did anyone catch his interview on the post game show last night? He needs a little tutoring from Arroyo on how to give interviews.
    His facial expressions and answers kind of conveyed "Why are you asking me these dumb questions". Lots of shoulder shrugs too. Kind of awkward.. Not that I want to get rid of him though.
    I agree...I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    RedlegJake, I'm not singling you out, because I do this too, most of us do, but that long tail of AAAA starters is different every year and it never seems to mean much when the games are played, does it? At different times, I've listed Villareal, Corcino, Lecure, Wood, Chapman, Reynolds, Galaraga, Masset, Bray, etc, etc. At any one time, it's been at most 6 real quality rotation starters (which is awesome to say) and like 5 suspects that hold a little promise. Fortunately we've not had to rely on that long tail in quite a while, and when we did, Cingrani turned up aces. That said, hopefully Stephenson shows up ready and healthy to stay, if he's relied on as the 5th guy. Latos, Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Stephenson is a mighty fine rotation. But Cueto's injury bug may continue, so I'm really hoping someone from the long tail of Chapman, Corcino, Rodgers, and FA vets can actually emerge. I'm not optimistic there. This off season might be a good one to let Bronson walk and pickup a buy low deal on Josh Johnson or the like to raise the profile of that long(shot) tail. /rant over
    I don't take it as singling out. Plus I agree with much of what you are saying. Cueto's health really concerns me because I don't want to get into that long tail. Stephenson I am confident will eventually be the real deal but all the others are a crapshoot. I'd like to think Reynolds, or Rogers, can be that emergency guy but I don;t want to see them having to force one of those guys into the rotation out of need. Make someone kick the door down, like Cingrani has done. I think you have to be concerned about the affordability of the quartet of Latos/Bailey/Cueto/Leake. I feel like the Reds almost have to let go of one of them - whether that's a trade or just wait until the FA year for one of them and then take the draft pick. That means the Reds need Stephenson to succeed, or one of those tail guys to step up. I'd be for trading an starter to do that but - Cueto's health is problematic - it could be the smarter move IS to just take a draft pick and ride those horses while we have them.

Did anyone catch his interview on the post game show last night? He needs a little tutoring from Arroyo on how to give interviews.
    Or Crash Davis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

CySeymour (08-16-2013),REDREAD (08-16-2013)

He is going to be a tremendous weapon out of the bullpen in the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

8. Likes:

REDREAD (08-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Considering his youth, the last thing I worry about with him is his pitch efficiancy. That will improve, I suspect, as his career deepens and he garners experience. It is thrilling how effective he is right now just as he is, in my view, anyway.
    Oh I'm not worried about it. Cueto went through this too and got better with experience. I'm sure Cingrani will do the same.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't take it as singling out. Plus I agree with much of what you are saying. Cueto's health really concerns me because I don't want to get into that long tail. Stephenson I am confident will eventually be the real deal but all the others are a crapshoot. I'd like to think Reynolds, or Rogers, can be that emergency guy but I don;t want to see them having to force one of those guys into the rotation out of need. Make someone kick the door down, like Cingrani has done. I think you have to be concerned about the affordability of the quartet of Latos/Bailey/Cueto/Leake. I feel like the Reds almost have to let go of one of them - whether that's a trade or just wait until the FA year for one of them and then take the draft pick. That means the Reds need Stephenson to succeed, or one of those tail guys to step up. I'd be for trading an starter to do that but - Cueto's health is problematic - it could be the smarter move IS to just take a draft pick and ride those horses while we have them.
    Cueto's health is probably what guarantees Bailey's return next year, I'd think. Arroyo's the final wild card, I think he's been on the Reds fan's train out of town every year since 2007, lol, but he's still here...and he might be back.

His facial expressions and answers kind of conveyed "Why are you asking me these dumb questions". Lots of shoulder shrugs too. Kind of awkward.. Not that I want to get rid of him though.
    Gotta learn those clichés... When every question starts with "How big was it to", it's hard not to look like you're being asked stupid questions.

12. Likes:

mace (08-16-2013),Redeyecat (08-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He is going to be a tremendous weapon out of the bullpen in the playoffs.
    If he continues at this rate, how can you take him out of the rotation for the most crucial games?

Unless of course he's on an innings limit, then I could understand it.

That interview last night was strange, I've seen him a few times before and he didn't act like that. Maybe he's been hanging around Homer too much.

To me Cingrani is the clear #2 starter in the playoffs (if they make it) behind Latos but I highly doubt he will crack Dusty's 4 man. At the least he will allow the team to carry an extra bench player like Robinson on the 25man.

Not saying it is wrong to have Cingrani be a playoff starter..
    but if you do.. which other starter gets bumped to the pen?

I guess I remember how valuable Linececum was out of the pen for the Giants last year.

You put Cingrani in the pen, and you've got a dynamite arm that can pick up if any starter struggles. Plus, Cingrani has pitched great out of the pen when asked.. I'm not as confident one of the other starters could adapt as well to the pen.

Honestly, I don't think Homer/Leake/Arroyo deserve to be bumped out of the playoffs rotation. They've all been good this year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

So am I the only one who would rather see Cingrani make a playoff start over Leake...? And it's really nothing against Leake as I like him, but when it's big game time, my feeling is give me a guy who can strike guys out.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Always Red (09-07-2013),Boss-Hog (09-06-2013),harangatang (09-06-2013),Hubba (09-06-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-06-2013),Revering4Blue (09-06-2013),RiverRat13 (09-06-2013),TRF (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So am I the only one who would rather see Cingrani make a playoff start over Leake...? And it's really nothing against Leake as I like him, but when it's big game time, my feeling is give me a guy who can strike guys out.
    Certainly would if it is against the Cardinals. Under .500 vs LH starters. I could be sold either way against other playoff teams.

I'm warming up more to the idea of Cingrani as a postseason starter, especially if Cueto is healthy enough to come out of the pen.

I still love the idea of a one game playoff vs the Cards with Latos starting and then Cingrani as the backup plan.. That would help neutralize the advantage StL has in the bullpen (IMO, they have a better pen than us. Maybe I'm wrong and the numbers say something differently, but it seems slightly better than ours)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm warming up more to the idea of Cingrani as a postseason starter, especially if Cueto is healthy enough to come out of the pen.

I still love the idea of a one game playoff vs the Cards with Latos starting and then Cingrani as the backup plan.. That would help neutralize the advantage StL has in the bullpen (IMO, they have a better pen than us. Maybe I'm wrong and the numbers say something differently, but it seems slightly better than ours)
    Power arms win post season games. If it were up to me I am going Latos, Bailey and then Cingrani. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these three the only ones to get W's against the Cards?

Turn Off Ads?