Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karl Malden r.i.p.

Karl Malden r.i.p.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,5658128.story

Oscar-winning actor Karl Malden dies at 97
    Warner Brothers
    Malden won a best supporting actor Oscar for his role as Mitch in "A Street Car Named Desire."
    Malden starred in TV's 'The Streets of San Francisco' and made famous the American Express catchphrase 'Don't leave home without it.' He appeared in more than 50 films over his long career.
    By Dennis McLellan
    12:17 PM PDT, July 1, 2009
    Karl Malden, one of Hollywood's strongest and most versatile supporting actors, who won an Oscar playing his Broadway-originated role as Mitch in "A Streetcar Named Desire," died today. He was 97.

Malden starred in the 1970s TV series "The Streets of San Francisco" and was the longtime American Express traveler's-check spokesman, warning travelers to not leave home without it. He died of natural causes at his home in Brentwood, said his daughter Mila Doerner.

more at link
    Last edited by RBA; 07-01-2009 at 03:34 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Karl Malden r.i.p.

He was 97. He got his years in

I hope he didn't leave without his American Express!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Johnny Carson sure got a lot of mileage from his nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

What is so strange about this great number of deaths is that on the way back from DC thsi week, my wife and my oldest daughter and I had this conversation about who some of the oldest living actors were. It started talking about Bob Hope and George Burns both living to be over 100 and then we pondered who was in that 90+ range. Then, bam, they started dropping like flies, starting with Ed McMahon.

Karl Malden was born Mladen Sekulovich and, as I understand it, he often got that named worked into a script (perhaps just the last name). Now that my just be an urban legend, but I recall hearing that.

It will be interesting to hear Michael Douglas' words on Malden. He had a real affection for him, having played opposite him on the TV show, The Streets of San Francisco. And his Oscar winning performance was in the movie A Streetcar Named Desire. He was also nominated for On the Waterfront. His last role was in the very first episode of The West Wing that my wife and I ever watched.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

One of my favorites. He was great in Baby Doll and Patton, as well.

I liked him as an actor a lot. A nose the size of a '56 Buick.

97 years is a good life. Godspeed and RIP
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

Karl Malden was born Mladen Sekulovich and, as I understand it, he often got that named worked into a script (perhaps just the last name). Now that my just be an urban legend, but I recall hearing that.
    I read the same story today on "Wikipedia," which I know isn't always correct. The article mentioned several movies and TV shows in which Malden did that, including a scene in "Patton" where Malden, playing Omar Bradley, says "get me a helmet, Sekulovich."
    He has been married to the former Mona Greenberg since 12/18/38, which must be close to a record for a marriage in Hollywood.
    I always liked Malden. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

He played a priest three times, a minister once and numerous cops. A an awful nice guy from what I gathered.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Karl Malden was born Mladen Sekulovich
    I read his real name once in an article years ago and it's always the first thing I think of when I hear his stage name.

Streets of San Francisco was a great show. Haven't seen it in years, but I'd like to see how well it has stood the test of time.
    /r/reds

Mods, can we start a sub-forum for deaths?

Just watched him the other day in How The West Was Won. I didn't realize he was that old. He led a good life, lived to age 97, and passed away in his sleep. Looking at the way we've seen several celebs leave this earth over the last couple of weeks, Karl can't complain and probably wouldn't.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The lesson to be learned here is if you're a celebrity, don't give me your autograph. Gone from my signature collection now are:

Bob Hope
    Buddy Ebsen
    John Inman
    Brandon Lee
    Joe Nuxhall
    Charlton Heston
    Karl Malden
    Paul Newman
    Ray Charles
    Fred Rogers
    Steve Irwin
    Jesse Helms
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Streets of San Francisco was a great show. Haven't seen it in years, but I'd like to see how well it has stood the test of time.

I really liked that show too when I was a kid.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It hasn't. They still show it occassionaly in SF. Great theme music though.

Turn Off Ads?