Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

Re: 2013 Official Draft Picks and Signings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    For what it's worth, Kevin Franklin's twitter page bio includes "third baseman for the Cincinnati Reds." His tweets make him sound eager to sign.

https://twitter.com/RealKJ44
    That was fast. Gary Sheffield please!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ty Boyles tweets he is leaving Tuesday for Arizona for at least two months. He tweets like crazy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/t_boyles26
    Last edited by klw; 06-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Looks like Daniel Wright 10th round is in Arizona already. He adds "let pro ball begin"

https://mobile.twitter.com/D_Wright_36

Here is the twitter for 17th rounder Michael Carter- nothing clear cut.

https://mobile.twitter.com/D_Carter08

I made a new category of status on the spreadsheet called "Under Contract?" for all these guys saying they are in Arizona but with no signing announcement.

And I've updated it with the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I made a new category of status on the spreadsheet called "Under Contract?" for all these guys saying they are in Arizona but with no signing announcement.

And I've updated it with the latest info.
    Thanks for putting that spreadsheet together Jax..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sickels says:

Finding some way to sign Morales and Collins would have been possible under the old draft rules, but they're certain to attend college under the new bonus pool set-up.
    Seems like Collins is definitely gone but I hope he's somehow wrong about Morales. Not really holding my breath though.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Chad Jones spoke with Walt, will report to Arizona.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20..._star_cha.html
    Last year, they signed U. Florida Sr. Daniel Pigott (9th, #292) for $40,000, which was $87,000 below slot. I assume they'll do the same with Jones (9th, #295...$139,900 slot) who pretty much has zero leverage. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Last year, they signed U. Florida Sr. Daniel Pigott (9th, #292) for $40,000, which was $87,000 below slot. I assume they'll do the same with Jones (9th, #295...$139,900 slot) who pretty much has zero leverage. We'll see.
    Hopefully they give the extra $100K to Morales, Abreu or Benintendi
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hopefully they give the extra $100K to Morales, Abreu or Benintendi

Someone earlier (Jax perhaps) mentioned they heard that 14th rounder Abreu wanted $450,000 and the Reds have offered him that much.

I'm assuming a big chunk of that will come from Jones and possibly Daniel Wright.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...om-the-ba-500/

The top 500 deals strictly with quantity but we also have a point value system, which is the fourth number after the team’s name, to account for where the players drafted ranked in the 500. The No. 1 player, Jonathan Gray, received a point value of 500 and the No. 2 ranked player, Mark Appel, received 499 points. Each subsequent player ranked received one less point, down to the No. 500 player, who got one point. The final number is an average of these points. Therefore, a higher number is better. Again, without understanding what drove a team’s average can be misleading. Additionally, this is average is in no way trying to convey that player talent, and therefore value, is linear.

Reds (14 total, 2 top 100, 6 top 200, average: 278)
    Phillip Ervin (23), Michael Lorenzen (52), Kevin Franklin (232), Mark Armstrong (242), Ben Lively (127), Cory Thompson (121), Zack Weiss (381), Tyler Mahle (281), Scott Brattvet (283), Evan Mitchell (411), Willie Abreu (205), Brett Morales (118), Zack Collins (113), Andrew Benintendi (486).
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 06-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...eague-edition/

Cincinnati Reds
    Two of the draft’s top college outfielders led the Reds’ class in Phillip Ervin and Michael Lorenzen, both of whom could be legitimate center fielders. Lorenzen, however, may have more upside on the mound, and that’s where the Reds plan to start him out. He closed for Cal State Fullerton and could move quickly with a fastball in the upper 90s. The Reds mixed in projection picks from the high school ranks, with power-hitting third baseman Kevin Franklin (second round) and righthander Mark Armstrong (third). South Carolina prep Cory Thompson drew interest as a pitcher and hitter but was announced as a shortstop. Miami Hurricanes fans will watch this class closely to see if recruits Willie Abreu (11th round) and Zack Collins (27th) sign or come to school.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Someone earlier (Jax perhaps) mentioned they heard that 14th rounder Abreu wanted $450,000 and the Reds have offered him that much.

I'm assuming a big chunk of that will come from Jones and possibly Daniel Wright.
    It's hard to see where the additional $350K will come from. Granted, they have some leverage with numbers 8-10, but those are not high dollar amount slots. Need for some of the higher picks to take less than slot. Or, perhaps, someone in the top 10 does not get signed. I'm sure they have a plan, but it is not apparent to me. I suspect that the Reds feel they can lure some of these players with lower amounts than is being reported here.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    It's hard to see where the additional $350K will come from. Granted, they have some leverage with numbers 8-10, but those are not high dollar amount slots. Need for some of the higher picks to take less than slot. Or, perhaps, someone in the top 10 does not get signed. I'm sure they have a plan, but it is not apparent to me. I suspect that the Reds feel they can lure some of these players with lower amounts than is being reported here.
    Franklin seems like an overdraft who is eager to sign, so he could easily take substantially less. I'd guess there's a lot of room in that slot number too, considering its still the 2nd round.

Guessing Lively gets a below slot deal as well in the 4th. With polish and pitchability being his best traits, what's he gonna do, return to Central Florida for another year?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    If someone doesn't sign, you don't just get to keep that money. If they don't sign, you lose their pool money.

Turn Off Ads?