Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The return on Aurilia?

Re: The return on Aurilia?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    it's a lot cheaper to make a deal for prospects-- you save the remainder of the vet's salary plus the signing bonus for the picks. so the difference is whether you're better off with, say, Frazier, or better off with a prospect from another org plus a LOT of cash. That money can be thrown into the draft or into overseas program. Maybe it's even enough for 10 or more Latin players. you also know a lot more about how the acquisitions will hit with or pitch against wood bats.

of course, there's often a reason why a team is willing to dangle certain players. You often receive a guy that has problems that scouts don't see, including questionable work habits, coachability problems, problems with outside influences. On the other hand, you can very easily draft a kid with the same problems, and there's a better grapevine in the minors than in the amateur ranks.
    Good points. I'll just add that, as a rule, the draft is an incubator investment. If a team is actively trying to amass picks then its shifting its resources into a payoff that's half a decade away (on the near side). I like what the Reds got for Aurilia. Frazier and Carroll are probably the two picks I like best from the team's 2007 draft. Yet if the Reds tried to follow suit with Hatteberg and Dunn and whoever else might net draft picks in the near future, it probably wouldn't have much of a linear connection with whatever the major league team building initiative is.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It might make sense to do it for Hatteberg, as he is still an effective hitter. The Reds will have to determine if it would be better to pick up his option and trade him. pick up his option and keep him, or decline the option. I would hope they could get an Aurilia-type return for Hattberg, but there are no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It might make sense to do it for Hatteberg, as he is still an effective hitter. The Reds will have to determine if it would be better to pick up his option and trade him. pick up his option and keep him, or decline the option. I would hope they could get an Aurilia-type return for Hattberg, but there are no guarantees.
    I dont know if Hatty would warrent a pick as high as Aurilla did last season. I think Hatty will be back next season because he is cheap and could be a good veteran presence for this club. I also find it hard that the reds could deny the option and then offer arbitration and have Hatty not pick it up.

As for trading players instead of taking comp draft picks I would assume that you have better odds when you trade a player. When you trade for a prospect you atleast have 1 year of minor league experience the evaulate. The draft is a crap shoot and you really never know what type of player you can get. While the return for Aruilla looks good right now you still don't know how either player is going to turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I dont know if Hatty would warrent a pick as high as Aurilla did last season. I think Hatty will be back next season because he is cheap and could be a good veteran presence for this club. I also find it hard that the reds could deny the option and then offer arbitration and have Hatty not pick it up.
    They did it last year with Schoenweis. That turned out well.

Votto makes Hatteburg a very expensive bench player. Cantu makes him a luxury that the Reds can not afford.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If the Reds cant afford a 1.85 Million dollar bench player, then they are in BIG trouble.

Of course they can afford him, but Hat can only play 1st, same as Cantu..that's a bad way to construct a bench
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Of course they can afford him, but Hat can only play 1st, same as Cantu..that's a bad way to construct a bench
    Is it? Cantu can play more than first base. Keppinger can play several positions. Norris Hopper plays multiple positions. Ryan Freel plays multiple positions. The Reds have so many bench players that can play either every outfield position, or every infield position that carrying a guy with a bat like Hatteberg on the bench will be just fine.

Cantu is a disaster at anything other then 1st (as I type this he heads over to play 3rd ) it wouldn't surprise me to see the Reds put him all over the IF, I'd rather have a good glove guy to go along with Kep and Hat if he's kept over Cantu..and no not Castro
    Go Gators!

Yeah, but as a guy who is a spot starter, his range won't actually hurt you much at all. When he plays everyday its one thing, but as a bench player his defensive value is not going to be a factor really.

I have asked this previously Doug, but would you expect Hatteberg to accept a role as a bench player in Cincinnati? You may have answered it, but I could not remember. I would like Hatteberg next year, but am unsure if he would accept a role as a bench player.

Hatteberg makes a nice LH pinch hitter for sure, but the fact that he's slow (can't pinch run, may have to be pinch run for) and only one position is a real detriment. I'd exercise the option and then see what he could bring in trade -- I'd think some AL clubs would like him for occasional starts at 1B and DH. He was claimed off waivers in August, so you have to think there's interest out there.

AR, it doesn't really matter if he is willing to accept the role as far as picking up his option. If he has a problem with it, then you can trade him and get something in return for him. As for speed off the bench, I think its an overrated thing. How often do you honestly use a pinch runner compared to just needing a guy to get a hit as a pinch hitter?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I think it would involve declining Hatteberg's option and then offering him arbitration (which he must decline), and I don't know how likely that is of happening.

Hatteberg might get $5M or more in arbitration.

He will not be offered arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    AR, it doesn't really matter if he is willing to accept the role as far as picking up his option. If he has a problem with it, then you can trade him and get something in return for him. As for speed off the bench, I think its an overrated thing. How often do you honestly use a pinch runner compared to just needing a guy to get a hit as a pinch hitter?
    I believe it has been reported that he would rather retire than play the bench elsewhere. But if the Reds pick up his option, he will play.

If we offer him arb, he won't accept, but he probably won't sign elsewhere either. Meaning we get no picks. I think he ends his career as a Red, whether it is this week or next year.

The Reds are well within their rights to exercise the option and then trade him elsewhere. However, I get the sense that Wayne would not do that if it put him in a backup role, against Hatteberg's wishes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?