Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonuses for College Players

Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is unfair, whether you like the analogy or not. I could care less about what they did the year before. It shouldn't matter in terms of their pay.
    They don't have to sign.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is silly. No one is getting screwed. Guys are getting chances to play baseball for money. If they do well, they can make a lot of money, as in millions of dollars. If they don't like what they're being offered, they can do something else for a living, like the rest of their fellow college seniors. What is so sad about that?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is silly. No one is getting screwed. Guys are getting chances to play baseball for money. If they do well, they can make a lot of money, as in millions of dollars. If they don't like what they're being offered, they can do something else for a living, like the rest of their fellow college seniors. What is so sad about that?
    Yes they are getting screwed. Someone else, with the exact same talent/potential gets 3-4 times of what a senior would because they happen to be 4-10 months younger when they were drafted?

The idea that 'oh they get to play baseball for a living' doesn't mean they aren't getting screwed because you would love the chance. If your talent means you should be getting $150,000 and you are essentially forced to take $35,000, you are getting screwed, even if it is something you WANT to do. Being underpaid for a job you love still means you are underpaid as long as others are being paid much better for doing similar things.

It isn't really funny, it is rather sad. But it happens all the time. That is why so many teams loaded up on college seniors in the 5-10th rounds, so they could go over slot when they wanted to.
    Considering that those guys got a free college education and probably dated the best looking girls on campus, I'd say they did well. The free education is worth well over the 60k or so that they got stiffed on for the signing bonus.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

In the NFL, NBA seniors don't get paid 10-25% of non seniors when they sign. They get the slot money. I think these kids are getting screwed.

It is like saying 'oh, its ok to pay someone in Mexico $1 a day to work, they don't really have any leverage'. Doesn't make it right.
    That analogy makes no sense at all.
    How many non-athletes coming out of college even get a job, much less a signing bonus now? It's difficult to get a job period. All these players should be thankful that Americans overspend on entertainment and they get paid to play a game.

Comparing a college athlete to an exploited mexican worker is offensive.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That analogy makes no sense at all.
    How many non-athletes coming out of college even get a job, much less a signing bonus now? It's difficult to get a job period. All these players should be thankful that Americans overspend on entertainment and they get paid to play a game.

Comparing a college athlete to an exploited mexican worker is offensive.
    I could care less about what non-athletes get or don't get. Yeah, the exploited Mexican thing was probably a bit to far, but how can you say they are exploited but not the guys getting 10-25% of what their counterparts get simply because they are 8-10 months older? That is exploitation. I can't see how anyone can actually argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Considering that those guys got a free college education and probably dated the best looking girls on campus, I'd say they did well. The free education is worth well over the 60k or so that they got stiffed on for the signing bonus.
    Baseball gets 10 or 11 scholarships, in D1. Those kids aren't getting free college. Some of them are getting partial free college and some aren't getting it at all. This isn't football and basketball where 90% of the team is on a full scholarship. In baseball maybe 1 kid per elite D1 team is on a full scholarship and the most of the other kids are splitting up the remaining 9-10 scholarships for the 25-30 kids.

In a lot of cases, the difference between a junior's bonus and a senior's bonus is enough to pay for the last year of school and more. If the senior doesn't like the offer, he doesn't have to sign it. Maybe he should consider a "real" job anyway. They all know what they're getting into. If it's really that big of a deal, leave school early force the organization to pay for your schooling.

I could care less about what non-athletes get or don't get. Yeah, the exploited Mexican thing was probably a bit to far, but how can you say they are exploited but not the guys getting 10-25% of what their counterparts get simply because they are 8-10 months older? That is exploitation. I can't see how anyone can actually argue otherwise.
    Although it's definitely not true in all cases, it's typically the players on scholarships who are getting drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Although it's definitely not true in all cases, it's typically the players on scholarships who are getting drafted.
    I bet less than 1% of the guys drafted are on full scholarships.

I bet less than 1% of the guys drafted are on full scholarships.
    True, but it's still a lot of money. Even a 40% scholarship is thousands of dollars. There are other perks that come with staying in school, too. Every student athlete knows the benefits and consequences of staying in school or signing a professional contract. At some point, you have to decide: am I a baseball player, or am I something else? If you're going to take it seriously, then sign the contract before you graduate and finish school later if you'd like. If it's your backup plan, then feel free to treat it as such.

Bonuses for College Players

Continued from the draft picks and signings thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?