Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angels Interested In Arroyo, Harang?

Angels Interested In Arroyo, Harang?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...rting-pitching

Still, Reagins acknowledged that he was still looking for upgrades.

Reds right-handers Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, two high-salaried pitchers, recently cleared waivers, according to FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi.

"There are guys out there who have cleared who are expensive," Reagins said, without specifically mentioning Arroyo and Harang. "We don't have any limitations, budget-wise. If we want to take money, we can do that. But we have to make sure the investments make us better not only short-term, but long-term. We're evaluating that constantly."

Harang, 6-13 with a 4.43 ERA, and Arroyo, 10-11 with a 5.04 ERA, might not be economically sensible or well-suited for the American League. Harang, 31, is earning $11 million this season and $12.5 million next season, while Arroyo, 32, is earning $9.5 million this season and $11 million next season.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Angels Interested In Arroyo, Harang?

I hope we don't just give up Harang. I have thought he has started to turn it around these last couple of starts.

On the other hand, I think if the Angels just assumed Arroyo's full salary, I would be happy with that. Of course, I would prefer throwing in a bunch of money and coming back with Brandon Wood, but I don't know if they are going to give him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I hope we don't just give up Harang. I have thought he has started to turn it around these last couple of starts.

On the other hand, I think if the Angels just assumed Arroyo's full salary, I would be happy with that. Of course, I would prefer throwing in a bunch of money and coming back with Brandon Wood, but I don't know if they are going to give him up.
    I might prefer to deal Arroyo to Milwaukee for JJ Hardy. After all, Hardy is what one could only hope Wood might someday be. If we're going for it in 2010, we need the sure thing- not the one day best-case scenario.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I might prefer to deal Arroyo to Milwaukee for JJ Hardy. After all, Hardy is what one could only hope Wood might someday be. If we're going for it in 2010, we need the sure thing- not the one day best-case scenario.
    I'm not going to argue with you on that one. I just really want to see the shortstop position actually upgraded in the near future and both Wood & Hardy would be definite and real upgrades. Hardy definately has the D to stick there and since he plays short stop, he would be put in the 2 hole by Dusty and afforded sufficient protection by Votto or Phillips (if you believe in that sort of thing).

If we can trade Arroyo + cash for a league average shortstop, I would be a very happy camper and our infield would be set for 2010.

I'm not going to argue with you on that one. I just really want to see the shortstop position actually upgraded in the near future and both Wood & Hardy would be definite and real upgrades. Hardy definately has the D to stick there and since he plays short stop, he would be put in the 2 hole by Dusty and afforded sufficient protection by Votto or Phillips (if you believe in that sort of thing).

If we can trade Arroyo + cash for a league average shortstop, I would be a very happy camper and our infield would be set for 2010.
    I don't think we'd need to add any cash to the deal for Hardy. He makes $4MM and is up for arbitration this year, although I can't imagine he gets much of a raise after his performance this year.

Arroyo for Hardy makes perfect sense right now, even if we have to add a (non-Yonder) prospect.
    Go BLUE!!!

I see no reason why a team like the Dodgers or Angels that clearly need rotation help would hiccup at Harang's contract when he has the ability to significantly help in the postseason. I think in their budget world, he could easily earn his keep this year and next for them. Arroyo, no, but Harang, even though he is declining, still has at least league average left in the tank. I would think the Angels would want to do more in the playoffs than they have in the past, but they clearly have pitching problems that make that a longshot at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I see no reason why a team like the Dodgers or Angels that clearly need rotation help would hiccup at Harang's contract when he has the ability to significantly help in the postseason. I think in their budget world, he could easily earn his keep this year and next for them. Arroyo, no, but Harang, even though he is declining, still has at least league average left in the tank. I would think the Angels would want to do more in the playoffs than they have in the past, but they clearly have pitching problems that make that a longshot at this point.
    But I also don't think they'd give up enough talent to make me want to dump Harang. Arroyo maybe, but I'd shop him to Milwaukee first. They might be the only team that would be willing to trade an asset right now that could help the Reds immensely in 2010.
    Go BLUE!!!

So, do only players on major league rosters need to pass through waivers in August, or is it every player on the 40 man roster? I can't remember what Buck & Castillo's situation was last year.

Hardy is a free agent after next year. If the Reds acquire him, but cannot sign him, the team will be in the exact same position next year. Meanwhile, they'll have bypassed an offseason market that includes Miguel Tejada and Marco Scutaro -- those guys are pretty old, but they're productive and could stay that way for a couple years, perhaps -- longer than Hardy would be around.

I'm not against getting Hardy -- just pointing out that he's not really an "under control" player.

Jocketty failed massively to fix the SS problem last offseason or during this season. Relying on Gonzo to give the Reds anything was just dumb. Everyone knew that besides the Reds, apparently.

Hopefully he won't fail again for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Jocketty failed massively to fix the SS problem last offseason or during this season. Relying on Gonzo to give the Reds anything was just dumb. Everyone knew that besides the Reds, apparently.

Hopefully he won't fail again for 2010.
    We can argue this endlessly (which we do), but given the contract situation with Gonzalez (and irrespective of whether we made a good deal or not; circumstances have made it not good), it made addressing shortstop a matter down the list, IMO. We had other more pressing needs which they didn't address or misfired on before it was necessary to find a shortstop. I know that's not a popular view and it's all water under the dam. It does need to be address this off season because they will not pick up Gonzo's option.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Hardy is a free agent after next year. If the Reds acquire him, but cannot sign him, the team will be in the exact same position next year. Meanwhile, they'll have bypassed an offseason market that includes Miguel Tejada and Marco Scutaro -- those guys are pretty old, but they're productive and could stay that way for a couple years, perhaps -- longer than Hardy would be around.

I'm not against getting Hardy -- just pointing out that he's not really an "under control" player.
    I don't know that I'd have any interest in Scutaro or Tejada for 2011 and beyond, especially at the price tags they'll likely carry. Shortstops over 35 go quickly when they go- just ask Barry Larkin.

I think Hardy on a (cheap) one-year deal is perfect. It will buy the Reds enough time to see if they can contend or are going to go youth movement (in which case they could figure out exactly what they have in Cozart.)

Furthermore, with Harang, Hardy, Rolen (if he doesn't re-sign) and Rhodes all coming off the books after next year and Cordero's NTC becoming limited, they'll have an incredible opportunity to completely remake the roster.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-12-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Why would the Brewers trade Hardy for Arroyo? Maybe they nibble at Harang but Melvin has been quoted as saying there hasn't been any starters pass through waivers that he likes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why would the Brewers trade Hardy for Arroyo? Maybe they nibble at Harang but Melvin has been quoted as saying there hasn't been any starters pass through waivers that he likes.
    Just following some speculation on this board. I wouldn't mind including prospect(s) to get a league average shortstop and addressing a major need. I have no inside knowledge in the Brewers' front office nor DMs intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He also doesn't seem to like JJ Hardy as evidenced by his demotion today. Why not trade one dislike for another and potentially fill a need in the process?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?