Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Will Have The Best Career?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

1 1.85%
  • Juan Duran

15 27.78%
  • Billy Hamilton

6 11.11%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

16 29.63%
  • Ronald Torreyes

13 24.07%
  • Someone Else (Pitchers Don't Count)

3 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dragon Will Be The Mightiest?

Which Dragon Will Be The Mightiest?

The Dragons are LOADED with prospects. I can't remember another time where the Reds were so loaded on two of their affiliates (Louisville being the other one) and so barren on the the other two full-season teams.

The Dragons have three significant pitching prospects in Lotzkar, Corcino, and Josh Smith. However this thread is intended to discuss the merits of the hitting prospects. Yorman Rodriguez, Juan Duran, Billy Hamilton, Ronald Torreyes and Tucker Barnhart all deserve mention when talking about the most promising prospects in the system, let alone on the team. My question is this- who do you think will have the best major league career? Who will be a total bust, getting no more than a cup of coffee in the bigs? Try to differentiate between the five as much as you can.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which Dragon Will Be The Mightiest?

Are we talking mightiest AAAA player, cause you can knock the cover off the ball for 1/2 a season in Louisville while Rolen and our SSs, CFs, and LFers stink up the joint and never get the call.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am taking Yorman Rodriguez. Right now, he is probably the second most raw hitter (to Hamilton) on the team, but I just really like his offensive tools.

No votes for Hamilton so far, that's surprising.

Man, this is almost too close to call. Instinctively, the first guy I'd eliminate would be Duran, and yet, he has shown profound improvement this year and obviously has the others easily beaten in the power department. Of the three tools studs--Duran, Yorman and Hamilton--I'd probably have to go with Yorman because his set is the most complete. But there seem to be questions about his commitment. Barnhart has to be in the picture because of the position he plays and the growing possibility that he'll excel at it; he appears to have the dedication to make the most of his talent. If the size question were set aside, Torreyes might be an easy pick. He appears gifted with both the bat and glove, runs well, does the little things; the whole package.

Size be danged: I'll go with Torreyes. I just like him.

Close call between Duran and Torreyes for me but I'm gonna have to go with Duran. Too much potential.

Duran for me. Torreyes is fun to follow, but I'm still reluctant to buy into his hype. Rodriguez, Hamilton, and Duran are all super raw, but Duran has the most potential to be a monster if all the cards fall right.

This is a tough one... all the options are legitimate. Hamilton has the highest upside of them all, but the lack of reliable tools other than speed gives him the most difficult path to the majors. Barnhart, on the other hand, probably has the most reliable skill set, but the lowest upside. While Duran and Torreyes have been impressive, I voted for Rodriguez, excusing his poor performance this year on youth and full-season ball. His speed could make him much more of an all-around player than Duran, and Torreyes, while an amazing prospect, still needs to prove that he can sustain his ridiculous numbers against higher competition.

I voted Yorman. I really like what I have heard about his future in the power/speed/defense department.

What do you guys see as being Yorman's ceiling?

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    I voted Yorman. I really like what I have heard about his future in the power/speed/defense department.

What do you guys see as being Yorman's ceiling?
    Carlos Beltran.

I went with Torreyes. Just hits and does it well. By success I deem it the on who will have the most value to the club in the long run. Yorman is very immature and could walk away from the game as far as we know. Duran while filled with immense power, also has the wart of failing to make contact consistently and I can't see that changing to acceptable levels. Barnhart has a ton of value due to his defense but his ceiling is a Hanigan/Thole type. His floor will probably be Skelton. Torreyes, while diminutive in size, hits the ball with authority consistently. Add a plus glove and his position moving forward (2B) all he will have to do is hit around .300 throughout to get to the show.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

For me, it's Yorman hands down. Look at what he did at Billings last year as the youngest player in the league at 17. I know he's not having a great year at Dayton (or even a good year) but he's still very young for A ball and is progressively getting better as the season goes. I know Torreyes is also 18 and is having no trouble at Dayton, but it's different for a guy like Yorman who isn't just a singles hitter.

I tell you what: the one guy who has been the biggest pleasant surprise to me has been Juan Duran. He is really putting together a nice season. I still think Yorman projects as a better player long-term, but both of them are very intriguing to say the least.

And yes, it's fun to follow the box scores of the Dragons and Bats this year. Loaded and then some. (Would be nice if the Bats' record actually reflected the immense amount of talent they have for a AAA team, but oh well. At least Dayton is hotter than the Sun right now. Good timing too with them about to set the all-time record for consecutive sellouts.)

David Vidal

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Torreyes and it won't even be close. :O)

I don't give a hoot about his size, the kid is a hitting MACHINE! Can't wait to see him in person.

The other guys are "toolsy" players with great upside. But how often have we seen those tools never amount to a whole package. Right now, Torreyes has it all put together. Defense, offense...both stellar.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.

I went with Hamilton. I know there are huge questions about his bat--and they're all valid--but I think the guy has such ridiculous tools that once he cuts down on his errors in the field, he barely needs to make contact to become very valuable.

Went with Duran myself. I have like the improvement to go along with all of the tools.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?