Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the chances Tiger comes back to the field today?

Retired

Re: What are the chances Tiger comes back to the field today?

I didn't get to watch, but isn't this the first time Tiger had gone into a final round of a major as the leader, and lost?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I didn't get to watch, but isn't this the first time Tiger had gone into a final round of a major as the leader, and lost?
    You are correct.

He's now 14 for 15 when leading after 3 rounds.

Fun day at the course.

Highlight of the day came pretty early. We were standing around the area where tee shots were landing on #16 (the hole right along Lake Hazeltine the entire way). Mickelson came along and fanned a 3 wood to the left. It hopped over a small creek and landed on the upslope of the rough about 8 feet from where I was standing. We saw the ball heading towards us and everyone ducked. I put my arms over my head. After I looked up, I saw the ball right there.

The funniest part wasn't the shot he hit. When he was walking up, there was a bridge to cross over the small creek. About 10 feet before the bridge was a few rocks with water flowing through them. Phil didn't want to walk the extra 10 feet, so he walked twoards these rocks. Bones yelled out to him, "Phil, that's not a good play," which it wasn't. Wearing metal spikes, it was very slippery and he easily could have slipped and fell right into the creek. Phil ignored him, but made it over safely.

The only place he could stand, he was real close to the ball, which was about 12" above his feet. There was a tree about 15 yards in front of him making going for the green pretty much impossible as he was about 160+ from the hole. He started to take an iron. He was choking up clear down onto the shaft. Then he decided to grab a hybrid. I have no clue what a hybrid did for him. He took almost no time, with little discussion with Bones. He took a half-hearted swing and flubbed the ball about 10 feet in front of him to the right into the creek.

He wasn't happy, but you could tell he just wanted to finish and go home. He dropped and still had to hit from a tight position. He took a low lofted iron and hit one onto the back of the green with the ball not getting more thn 5 feet in the air. It was impressive. But this entire time, I'm standing about 8 feet away from him.

Walked around and saw a lot of players hit, then parked in the #11 green grandstand for a while. Tiger was the 4th guy to hit it in 2. It was his first birdie of the day and the hole he took a one shot lead. I was in the front row, so I'm guessing I was on TV, but don't know.

Another funny thing was watching Vijay on the putting green forever before his round. He clearly is not comfortable even on the practice green. He had about 4 guys with him including a putting coach. We watched him for about 10 minutes hitting 6 footers from a ruler. you could tell he was tinkering trying to figure something out. I wish he would, because the guy can hit it with the best of them.

Watching Alex Quiros hit the ball is unreal. If you ever get the chance, take it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Combination of Yang winning it, and Tiger rowing the boat home...

Congrats Y.E., you played a hell of a round today, and showed some amazing ball-striking!
    That 2nd shot on 18 was the most clutch shot Tiger has had to endure since he has been on tour. NO ONE on tour has been able to put that kind of pressure on Tiger...and Tiger did not respond. 200 yard, 3 wood utility, on the left side of the fairway and the pin on the left side of the green..... Y.E. puts it to 8 feet. WOW! Your turn Tiger....

I hope this gives the other guys on tour some hope. I want to see more competitive Sunday's when Tiger has the lead. Normally they are not that fun to watch. Today was great.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Tiger just never made any putts ... I remember them talking about a stat last week at Firestone, that he didn't miss inside of 10 feet. He missed have missed at least 6 of that length on Sunday. We aren't used to seeing Tiger putt like a mortal (at least not since the late 90s) like a mortal in a major when it really counted.

Heck of round by Yang. I thought the turning point was 13 when it looked like there could be a 2 shot swing for Tiger and instead they both made par.

Yang played loose, Tiger played tight. I didn't get to watch much of the match but on the Par 3 where Harrington made 8, Tiger pulled one into the bunker and Yang put his on the pen 15 feet short. Great shot. On 18 Yang had an advantage because he was first to play. Sometimes it pays to be a shorter hitter than Tiger, it allowed him to put the pressure on Tiger. I saw the shot and just said WOW!

Couple of other observations from the tourney

I loved Yang teed off and as usual didn't take any practice swings. The announcer said "you have to take a practice swing" and Yang proceeds to put the ball in perfect position.

Y-E-S I hate Jim Nantz. He even managed to drop a masterful into his announcing.

2nd straight week Harrington takes a 8 that knocks him out of the tournament.

I loved watching Tiger and Steve in the final group, having a 10 footer on 18 that meant absolutely nothing. I also loved seeing Tiger miss that put.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Fun day at the course.

Highlight of the day came pretty early. We were standing around the area where tee shots were landing on #16 (the hole right along Lake Hazeltine the entire way). Mickelson came along and fanned a 3 wood to the left. It hopped over a small creek and landed on the upslope of the rough about 8 feet from where I was standing. We saw the ball heading towards us and everyone ducked. I put my arms over my head. After I looked up, I saw the ball right there.

The funniest part wasn't the shot he hit. When he was walking up, there was a bridge to cross over the small creek. About 10 feet before the bridge was a few rocks with water flowing through them. Phil didn't want to walk the extra 10 feet, so he walked twoards these rocks. Bones yelled out to him, "Phil, that's not a good play," which it wasn't. Wearing metal spikes, it was very slippery and he easily could have slipped and fell right into the creek. Phil ignored him, but made it over safely.

The only place he could stand, he was real close to the ball, which was about 12" above his feet. There was a tree about 15 yards in front of him making going for the green pretty much impossible as he was about 160+ from the hole. He started to take an iron. He was choking up clear down onto the shaft. Then he decided to grab a hybrid. I have no clue what a hybrid did for him. He took almost no time, with little discussion with Bones. He took a half-hearted swing and flubbed the ball about 10 feet in front of him to the right into the creek.

He wasn't happy, but you could tell he just wanted to finish and go home. He dropped and still had to hit from a tight position. He took a low lofted iron and hit one onto the back of the green with the ball not getting more thn 5 feet in the air. It was impressive. But this entire time, I'm standing about 8 feet away from him.

Walked around and saw a lot of players hit, then parked in the #11 green grandstand for a while. Tiger was the 4th guy to hit it in 2. It was his first birdie of the day and the hole he took a one shot lead. I was in the front row, so I'm guessing I was on TV, but don't know.

Another funny thing was watching Vijay on the putting green forever before his round. He clearly is not comfortable even on the practice green. He had about 4 guys with him including a putting coach. We watched him for about 10 minutes hitting 6 footers from a ruler. you could tell he was tinkering trying to figure something out. I wish he would, because the guy can hit it with the best of them.

Watching Alex Quiros hit the ball is unreal. If you ever get the chance, take it.
    good read MWM, thanks
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

My buddy I went with recorded the earlier day coverage on TNT. They were following Phil the whole time. The camera is on us for the time Phil is working on hitting the first hybrid shot that went into the creek. I didn't record that, but will be cool to see it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?