Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about tomorrow night.

Michigan State had 19 turnovers against Arizona. If they do that against Kentucky it will be a blowout, especially if Monk is out of his funk.
    Turnovers aside...my understanding is that Sparty is very thin in the front court.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's too early to tell, but this team may be special.

Monk is the only deep threat on this team, which is fine when you consider Doron Lamb was the only one in 2012.

Wenyen Gabriel might be the best defensive wing Kentucky has had since Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Hope he gets more playing time.

And Duke lost last night, so they will be number one more than likely next week when the polls come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

UK looks really good defensively. They are far ahead of where I expected them at this time of year. There is a chance this could be a special team. Especially on the defensive end of the court. They just need consistency on offense. especially from the three's. Monk will need some help. Willis or Fox need to step up and knock down some threes on a consistent basis.

So far this a great foul shooting team. Fox still hasn't missed. You have to love that from a point guard. Brisoce was even perfect last night.

Also rebounding has to be better. Out rebounded once again last night.

That wasn't a vintage Izzo team last night. They will make the NCAA's but that is about all they will do. Their guards looked very average.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

That wasn't a vintage Izzo team last night. They will make the NCAA's but that is about all they will do. Their guards looked very average.
    FWIW.......I wouldn't put to much into UK's win last night over Sparty. MSU is gonna struggle early on until Izzy gets the troops into form.

Willis, Gabriel, and Fox all have good form and are willing shooters from deep. I suspect each will shoot well as the season drags on. Michael Mulder might play wing quite a bit as teams play zone. He too can shoot.

This will be a fun team to watch and what is a UK thread without posting the Girlfriend and my campsite over the summer. (She is UK - Me is Ohio State)

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    FWIW.......I wouldn't put to much into UK's win last night over Sparty. MSU is gonna struggle early on until Izzy gets the troops into form.
    I think Michigan State is a year away. They have a good young nucleus, just doubt Miles Bridges will be there more than one season.

My WVU friends will tell you this, but Eron Harris is a chemistry killer. It may take Izzo going with youth but it would set up a potential for something special by next year.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Kentucky picked up a big recruit last night in Philadelphia PG Quade Green.

While this will probably push Trae Young to Oklahoma, Green has pull with other players in the 2017 recruiting class, namely Hamidou Diallo, Mohamed Bamba, and Kevin Knox.

With Nick Richards, PJ Washington, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in the fold, that would be a loaded class, just wonder how many Cal plans on losing from this one.

just wonder how many Cal plans on losing from this one.
    Willis, Mulder, and Hawkins are seniors. They're gone.

Fox, Monk, Briscoe, and Adebayo are certain NBA players and likely 1st round selections. Each will be gone.

Three guys might leave if they get enough playing time and produce-- Gabriel, Humphries, and Killeya-Jones. Humphries has big upside and should be a solid contributor at the NBA level. With his jumper good out to 15 feet and enough athleticism to guard bigs and not be embarrassed by wings, he's probably gone. (Especially if Abdebayo continues to have foul issues.) Gabriel needs desperately to gain some weight and bulk up a bit. He also seems like the type of kid to stick around another year just because he likes school. He's academically gifted, by all accounts as well. Killeya-Jones hasn't shown much yet and might need more PT to get noticed.

That leaves two or three bigs-- Wynyard and one or two of Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, and Humphries-- to go along with Brad Calipari and the rest of the wing and point walk-ons.

In short, he'll need at least one PG, one combo guard, three wings, another PF, and a C. It'd be better if he had two PGs, four wings, and two power players.

PJ Washington's a 'tweener; he could fit as either a PF or a wing. Or both. (Which would allow he and Killeya-Jones to share that 'tweener position.) Nick Richards is a center. Wynyard could back him up, with Killeya-Jones as a small-ball center. Alexander's a wing, IMO, with combo guard skills and is unlikely to be a one-and-done guy. He'll play the wing in college and slip to PG if there's no one else. Green's a pure point, but small. He'll need quite a bit of help.

Trae Young could well still sign with Kentucky. He and Green could play together in the backcourt. While it'd be small, the bigs make up for much of that. Regardless, Calipari needs at least one more wing desperately and a PG.

So if they could sign eight players in this class:

PG-Quade Green
    PG-Shai Alexander
    PG-Trae Young
    SG-Hamidou Diallo
    SF-Kevin Knox
    SF-Mohamed Bamba
    PF-PJ Washington
    C-Nick Richards

I think Michigan State is a year away. They have a good young nucleus, just doubt Miles Bridges will be there more than one season.

My WVU friends will tell you this, but Eron Harris is a chemistry killer. It may take Izzo going with youth but it would set up a potential for something special by next year.
    All I know is that it aint looking good for them right now.

So if they could sign eight players in this class:

PG-Quade Green
    PG-Shai Alexander
    PG-Trae Young
    SG-Hamidou Diallo
    SF-Kevin Knox
    SF-Mohamed Bamba
    PF-PJ Washington
    C-Nick Richards
    Bamba is a PF, but yeah, that's the dream class.

I suspect Bamba's a Dukie, however, and that Alexander, Young (hopefully), Green, and Diallo will split time on the wings and at point. Washington and (perhaps) Knox will play under the basket and on the elbow with Killeya-Jones. Humphries and Richards will split the C duties (with a third-year Wynyard).

The fear around the Kentucky coaches is obviously what could happen with Diallo (going pro), Young (to Oklahoma), Knox (Duke), and Bamba (Duke). Were that to happen (and Gabriel go pro), UK may not get to .500 next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    All I know is that it aint looking good for them right now.
    That early season "big win" doesn't look so big now.

Kentucky's not played a good team yet. I'd be hesitant to anoint them anything but a decent team in an advantageous spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Kentucky's not played a good team yet. I'd be hesitant to anoint them anything but a decent team in an advantageous spot.
    Well, you will have that. But we got a lot of ball to play yet. Although I am skeptical of how MSU is gonna do, I never count Izzo out. Wouldn't surprise me at all by the end of the year if that is a nice feather in UK's hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Bamba is a PF, but yeah, that's the dream class.

I suspect Bamba's a Dukie, however, and that Alexander, Young (hopefully), Green, and Diallo will split time on the wings and at point. Washington and (perhaps) Knox will play under the basket and on the elbow with Killeya-Jones. Humphries and Richards will split the C duties (with a third-year Wynyard).

The fear around the Kentucky coaches is obviously what could happen with Diallo (going pro), Young (to Oklahoma), Knox (Duke), and Bamba (Duke). Were that to happen (and Gabriel go pro), UK may not get to .500 next season.

- - - Updated - - -

You would think Bamba would reconsider given Wendell Carters commitment to Duke today. If Bolden comes back, he's fighting with those two for playing time.

You would think Bamba would reconsider given Wendell Carters commitment to Duke today. If Bolden comes back, he's fighting with those two for playing time.
    Meh. Best players want to play with the best players. Splitting time isn't that big a deal anymore, especially with "positionless" basketball. Playing Carter and Bamba together (even with Bolden) gives each player 25 minutes. That's plenty of time for a big to impress.

Turn Off Ads?